• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best partners for Ike in teams

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I didn't see a thread and I thought it to be a good discussion. Is there anyone above all else that makes for a good partner for Ike?

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
I really like this team comp, I don't know if it's above all the rest, but me and my friends use it a lot;

:4myfriends::4villager:
-This comp mainly focuses on spacing and counter attacking the opponents.
-Villager helps saving Ike from punishes if he tries a smash attack with the constant pressure.
-Ike compensates for Villager difficulty of KOing.
-If Villager sends a lloid rocket to Ike, Ike can counter it to get a bit of invincibility and an attack.
-They can combo into each other's aerials.
-Villager can cover for Ike's recovery.
-Villager can bury people with down smash which can help Ike land moves.
-Villager helps Ike against projectile characters.

Arrei

Smash Lord
As gimpable as Captain Crunch is, I'm not sure pairing him with Ike is the greatest idea.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I'd feel that ZSS would probably be a better option than the Cap as a partner. Has a decent rushdown game, a lot of gimp-able moves that force a target to be a punching bag for Ike and some form of zoning available to help set things up for Ike (or give him some breathing room).

I feel that whoever partners with Ike, Ike's greatest contribution to the team would be as both a shield (to keep opponents off his partner so they can rack up damage) and as the cleaning crew (since one good hit will KO most of the cast at a lower %, meaning the partner doesn't have to rack up as much damage).

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Sonic/ Sheik + Ike make a good combination.

They're fast characters that can pull off decent combos and rush in for quick punishes, help Ike if he's in trouble, and can follow up on any of Ike's throws if they're beyond combo percent.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I remember the gold old days in Brawl where Ike + Ike had the most insane and easiest kill set ups with just a simple fthrow/bthrow into fsmash/usmash (since both sent linearly, its a true combo every time)

Dunno if anyone has an fthrow and bthrow like that in smash4, and with fsmash being nerfed from its brawl counterpart, dunno how effective it is now. But generally, the best partner for Ike is one who can quickly throw someone into his f/usmash with little or no effort. What makes it so easy for Ike is how large his hitboxes are compared to other power hitters, f/usmash cover above and around him at a range no one else can boast about which is why Ike is best suited for that role. What make Ike + Ike so insane in brawl was JUST LANDING A GRAB meant massive combo damage because Ike can throw from anywhere and the other Ike can do any follow up. And with how Ike's kit works, you can also zone with nair while comboing who is being thrown into you with it. The major upside was either Ike could do it, so it didn't matter which Ike grabbed, the other could combo/kill.

With a combination that is Ike + someone else, that someone else needs to be able to throw into Ike, as well as be able to follow up Ike's easy throw set ups.

Last edited:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I remember the gold old days in Brawl where Ike + Ike had the most insane and easiest kill set ups with just a simple fthrow/bthrow into fsmash/usmash (since both sent linearly, its a true combo every time)

Dunno if anyone has an fthrow and bthrow like that in smash4, and with fsmash being nerfed from its brawl counterpart, dunno how effective it is now. But generally, the best partner for Ike is one who can quickly throw someone into his f/usmash with little or no effort. What makes it so easy for Ike is how large his hitboxes are compared to other power hitters, f/usmash cover above and around him at a range no one else can boast about which is why Ike is best suited for that role. What make Ike + Ike so insane in brawl was JUST LANDING A GRAB meant massive combo damage because Ike can throw from anywhere and the other Ike can do any follow up. And with how Ike's kit works, you can also zone with nair while comboing who is being thrown into you with it. The major upside was either Ike could do it, so it didn't matter which Ike grabbed, the other could combo/kill.

With a combination that is Ike + someone else, that someone else needs to be able to throw into Ike, as well as be able to follow up Ike's easy throw set ups.
Double Ike still does well I'd say. Everything you mentioned applies in Smash 4, but some parts may have been toned down. You still get nasty setups off fthrow and bthrow, but it's not quite as devestating as throw to fsmash was in brawl.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Pika yet. He's speedy with telegraphed throws, gets in and racks up damage well and can really save you offstage.

Last edited:
I tore through a 3DS launch tournament's doubles with Ike and Marth, though it may not be the best team.

Toon Link makes an excellent partner, getting a bit of charge on fsmash/usmash while TL is punishing them with OoS up-b feels incredible, and so does bomb -> Ike smash. TL's projectiles and Ike's sword both have incredible stage control, so if either of you get center stage, it's pretty easy to keep. Momentum feels easy to build, rebuild, and keep, moreso than almost all team combinations I've tried in Smash history. Both character's grabs are incredibly easy to work with for the other partner, full hop or double jump Aether/uair/fair/bair is good for TL's uthrow, fsmash or usmash is good for his fthrow or bthrow, and Aether or uair is good for TL's down throw. From your throws, TL can get fair, bair, uair, fsmash, dsmash, or usmash, all of which are kill moves and they hit hard otherwise. Both characters have a lot of options from the other's throws, to the point where you can both adjust to whatever you need via staling, rage, or whatever deals the most % or gets the best stage advantage.

TL and Ike = excellent synergy. If you know any TL players, try one or two doubles brackets with them and tell me what you think.

BanGaRanG

Smash Rookie
I'm teaming with a Ganon, and it's straight fire. Ikefthrow->ganonstomp at ledge for a spike at 25%, Ikebthrow->GanonUsmash for kills at 80%, and shieldbreak combos on platforms with ganon usmash + Ike ftilt. it's great.

Team isn't without its downfalls (combo food, questionable recoveries)

But we don't die until like 150% XD

Last edited:

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Pika yet. He's speedy with telegraphed throws, gets in and racks up damage well and can really save you offstage.
I teamed up with a Pika this weeks frendlies and it worked out quite well. Pika can rush the opponents, while Ike waits and punishes according. Both can throw opponnents into each others smash attack, Pika fthrow to usmash kill around 100%. And in case you get separated both can hold their ground on their own.

Top Bottom