• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Options Against Pika's Thunder Jolt Spam

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
Thunder spam is annoying and tedious to fight. I always win the projectile spam war, but it always takes up the first 30-45 seconds, and while pika just taps B over and over, I have to space mine so they clank, which is exhausting. What are the better counters to thunder jolt spam?

Last edited:

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
If you have projectiles, those are always good. Thunder gives invincibility for a few frames (I think it's when the bolt hits Pikachu) but it has pretty long end lag, so you can shield/dodge it and punish with a grab/smash/dash attack or whatever you see fit. Any good Pikachu player will use his thunder sparingly, as it is a valuable kill move, so hopefully punishing it will come easy.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
Oops. I meant Thunder Jolt. Sorry about the confusion. Edited the title.

Last edited:

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Oops, read it wrong. As for thunder jolt, if Pikachu isn't full hoping the thunder jolts, they have a lot of end lag that can be punished. If he is, there is little to no lag at the end, but that leaves the area closer to Pikachu free of projectiles. You could perfect shield, then get closer, and repeat. If he keeps sending out jolts, you can punish. Once close enough, punish the mis-spaced projectiles with and attack or grab. If he stops sending out projectiles, problem solved, and fight how you normally would. Another option is to hop over the thunder jolts completely and follow up with whatever works with your character.

Last edited:

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
I tried perfect shielding them while walking closer, but pika has better options than samus when trying this. I don't want to be putting myself at too much of a disadvantage.

I guess I will try SHAD approaching with bair. Is dair a good mix up when doing this?

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
3/4 charged beam beats the projectile and hits Pikachu afterwards even if Pikachu jumps before it shoots. It's all about timing.
Charge your beam between the projectiles, power shield them.

Last edited:

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
3/4 charged beam beats the projectile and hits Pikachu afterwards even if Pikachu jumps before it shoots. It's all about timing.
In hindsight it's almost obvious. Thank you kindly.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
This is your best option. Pikachu can't do anything about it (he doesn't have landing lag on full hop tjolt, but your CS will still catch him coming down). This will more than likely also get them to quit tjolt spamming. Altogether, tjolt is a really unsafe move against Samus in neutral since we can pretty much just CS on reaction.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
And you'll probably need a bit less than 3/4 at first, be aware youll need to charge it more the more you use it from staling

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Like everyone said, shield plus build up charge shot, then punish them on unsafe projectile use with a strong enough charge shot to go through. This is also how you beat link spam. Charge, shield, charge, shield, charge, shield, boom. Tedious, sure, but safe, and they'll eventually learn their lesson.

You can also use bomb if they are being really spammy to eat one of their projectiles to give you more charge time. So charge, shield, bomb, charge, shield, bomb, charge, shoot, etc.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
if the pika tends to fall with their jolt and you dont have charge shot ready, the first tick of fair will eliminate the jolt and then hit the unsuspecting pika

Top Bottom