• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Nintendo system

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Which Nintendo system do you think deserves the title as "best system ever"? Incorporate all aspects thinkable such as: innovation, playable titles, controller design, etc. This topic can also be used to discuss you thoughts on systems from earlier generations.

Excluding handhelds, my list is as follows:

1) NES
2) N64
3) Wii (easily can be ranked higher in near future due to online play and new titles)
4) Gamecube
5) SNES- I think without a doubt deserves the title as "worst system ever". If you disagree, please explain.

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
  1. Wii (never played it, but being able to play past games from all systems puts it on top automatically)
  2. GameCube (with proper equipment, you can play all currently existing Zelda games on it :D)
  3. SNES (most of my growing up was with SNES, so, naturally, I like it quite a bit)
  4. NES (they did so much with this system...it even had online capabilities, or so I've heard)
  5. N64 (it just doesn't bring back memories like the others do)
EDIT
The Zelda thing for GCN...obviously that doesn't count for the BS versions (that Japanese satellite thing-a-ma-bob), the two crappy 3D0 versions, or the watch game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The N64 was the first Nintendo console I ever bought and played. It still works to this day because Nintendo makes very good quality products. Heck, even my original Game Boy still works (cabbage screen one).

SonicMario

Smash Master
As much i would like to say my "growing up" console Nintendo 64 is the best, i'd rather nominate the Wii for best one came up by Nintendo. Sure it is new, but i bet it will be by late-2007 and 2008 with the online stuff along with great and surprising titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario & Sonic at the Olymic Games, Mario Kart Wii, etc...). Not only that, but you get to play (in virtual console) N64, SNES, and NES on this system. Not to mention classic games from 3rd party companys like the Sega Genesis and the TurboGrafx. And the main reason for the Wii's profits, THE MIIS!!!!!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
SNES > N64 > GameCube > Wii > NES

The Wii has yet to prove itself in my eyes, with Zelda being the only "must have" game out there. The SNES had so many fun games to play with a friend like Super Mario Kart, the Mario Bros. games, the countless fighting games, etc. and then there were games like Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG to entertain yourself. N64 brought in awesome four player action with games like Smash Bros., Beetle Adventure Racing (my favorite racing game ever, probably), as well as fun single player titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, and all that shiz. The GameCube was a lot like the N64, but I remember having more fun with my N64, and overall owned more games for it that I would constantly go back and play. The NES was fun, but when I play the games nowadays they just lack the magic they used to have.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
SNES > N64 > GameCube > Wii > NES

The Wii has yet to prove itself in my eyes, with Zelda being the only "must have" game out there. The SNES had so many fun games to play with a friend like Super Mario Kart, the Mario Bros. games, the countless fighting games, etc. and then there were games like Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG to entertain yourself. N64 brought in awesome four player action with games like Smash Bros., Beetle Adventure Racing (my favorite racing game ever, probably), as well as fun single player titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, and all that shiz. The GameCube was a lot like the N64, but I remember having more fun with my N64, and overall owned more games for it that I would constantly go back and play. The NES was fun, but when I play the games nowadays they just lack the magic they used to have.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the Wii will probably be at the top of my list by the end of this year.

El HP

Smash Ace
For me it's a tie between NES and GC but consoles had many memorable games like SMB, SMB3, Kid Icarus, Startropics, Contra, Castlevania ,Punch-Out, Ninja Gaiden on NES.

On GC both Metroid Primes, REmake, RE4, Pikmin, Viewtiful Joe ,Eternal Darkness, SSBM, F-Zero GX and many others.

SNES is third for me a great console but a bit overrated Super Metroid, DK Country, Castlevania IV are some of my favorites.

N64 I prefer to think that console didn't exist it was a complete disappointment from the almost non-existant library to the badly designed controller the only games I liked were MK64, SF64, F-Zero X and SSB.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure SNES should top everyone's list if they were alive to view it. It was just a truly awesome system that had, basically, the birth of the story-driven RPG, birth of an on-rails game, birth of Starfox, birth of...

You get the idea, but in case you don't: the SNES should be on top of everyone's list if you were around.

From there on you're allowed to mix and match...but SNES on top.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
1.)SNES - Even though there were plenty of money grabbing games that were pure crap, favorites like Super Mairo World, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1 through 3 really made up for it.

2.)N64 - At first, I thought this was Nintendo's worst, but I really can't say I didn't enjoy this console. It was Nintendo's first attempt at 3D and anything they did seemed fresh.

3.)Wii - This console is probably ranked here just because it just the beginning of it's days. TP proved to be enjoyable despite what some OoT fanboys may say, but more games need to be released

4.)GCN - Not really the greatest console ever. The number of great titles is much smaller on this system compared to the console the generation before, but games such as Smash Bros and Mairo Kart kept the power on all night.

4.)NES - Like the SNES, this console had many many many crappy games that were there just to make $$$. The only games that even really seemed fantastic were the 3 Super Mario Brothers games. Many games that Nintendo took a shot at such as Kirby and Zelda were ok, but they weren't perfected till the SNES came out.

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
1.)Many games that Nintendo took a shot at such as Kirby and Zelda were ok, but they weren't perfected till the SNES came out.
Annoying little note: Kirby actually started on the GameBoy, and he didn't have the ability to copy until Kirby2, also for the GB (or maybe copying was the NES version's contribution, I can't quite remember when it started).

There are many great games for the (S)NES that aren't as widely known. For example, I think Illusion Of Gaia (SNES) is a great game, but not too many people around here (where I live) even know what it is. Uniracers (SNES) is very addictive. Believe it or not, I actually had fun playing that old Barbie game (NES), but that was probably due to it being the only game I could play with my sister without her getting too bored (we'd alternate playing). TMNTII and III were both great.
...the list goes on... (I pretty much just wanted to voice my opinion on those)

Midna

Smash Apprentice
1. N64: I still enjoy the gameplay itself from SSB64 better than Melee
2. Wii: It's ultimately better than the gamecube, since you can use it as one
3. GC: never owned one, but I played it, and like it
4. NES never played it. know nothing about it.
5. I've come in contact with too many of these that don't work. no me gusta.

there ou have it. N64 brings back the most memories, since I've had one since my childhood.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
In theory, the Wii's the best since it can play games from all other consoles, and even games from non-nintendo consoles.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
In theory, the Wii's the best since it can play games from all other consoles, and even games from non-nintendo consoles.
Exactly. QFT.

Wii>Everything in the world.

Anyways...
I haven't played the SNES or NES... So for me it'd be Wii>GCN>N64

Oh yeah...

Wii>Xbox+PS3

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Sensai

Smash Master
Mic_128, that's true...but in practice, it doesn't hold up as not all the games that were released for those systems are on the VC, yet.

Also, the Wii doesn't have the sense of nostalgia that some of the systems create when playing them. For me, pretty much nothing beats sitting around in my pajamas playing the original Zelda on my NES (hooked up right next to my Wii!).

Eventually, it might be that most of the good games are released there. Certainly all the good first/second party games, but some of the games that made a console such as the SNES great stand little chance at release (most SquareEnix games come to mind).

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think SNES is the greatest home console of all time. It has SMW, Yoshi's Island, the DKC series, the original Mario Kart, and all of the classic 2D fighting games(which were the top competitive games of that era).

I think Wii will end up being even better then SNES though, considering Brawl and Mario Kart coming out with online play and the fact that eventually most, if not all, SNES games will be downloadable on Wii.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd have to go with the N64 because that's when I first really started getting into video games. There are tons of great games on the N64 that I had tons of fun with.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the SNES. Back when I played it a lot I was really young, though. -_- lol

Iggy K

Smash Ace
N64>SNES>GC>Wii>NES

While SNES had lots of great games like Mario All-Stars, Yoshi's Island, SMRPG, EarthBound and Kirby SuperStar, and the GC had Melee and the Pikmin games, N64 was my first console, I enjoyed it more the most and it had tons of great games that I was interested in, and it had all of the Mario Party games that were actually good. I haven't had as much fun with the Wii as I did with the others, but that will probably change whem more games come out. NES should be obvious.

Also, DS>GBA>GB

Top Bottom