• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best HardCore or RockBands out there...(Post any,Metal,PostHardcore,Screamo,Emo Band)

saberhof

Smash Master
- As i LAy dying
- It Dies Today
- The Agony Scene
- The Black DAhlia Murder
- Atreyu
- Mastodon
- High On Fire
- Unearth
- Thrice.... Whos your pik??/....(if you acctualy like this kind of music)

(dont go posting crAp about how you dont like this music)...

JFox

Smash Hero
All of the rest sucks, so I am going to have to go with Thrice because at least their old **** wasn't so lame. New thrice is REALLY awful, and fits in perfectly with most of those other bands you named.

Look up Children of Bodom if you want your socks rocked off. :laugh:

(BTW to those who enjoy Bodom, PM me and I can tell you about some other pretty excellent bands)

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
This will be moved to Media Metropolis, that's where the music discussion is at. JFox, you can post all the bands you want to recommend in the music recommendations thread, it's easier than PMs and unregistered users can hear your recommendations too.

Buck

Smash Cadet
Well most of your list is like metalcore and post hardcore...

hardcore is a genre, a genre of punk

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I remember when music wasn't divided into such bad divisions. Is this emo music or what? Punk died a long time ago when it became commericalized because punk is against that by nature.

Children of Bodom is pretty cool, but I like bands like Corrosion of Conformity a lot more.

saberhof

Smash Master
I know children of Bodom, i know lots more...just wanted to know witch band you all like besides the ones i have...
-3 inches of blood, Aiden, All that remains, Betwen the buried and me,Bleeding through,Devildriver, The Dilinger escape plan,Every time i die, The Fall of troy, Full blown chaos, Norma Jean, himsa, Killswitch engage, "Lamb Of GOd", Machine HEad, The Number 12 looks like you, The Red Chord, Shadows Fall, Silverstein, Superjoint ritual, Systematic, throwdown, UnderOath, The bled.....etc....

Uncle Meat said:
(dont go posting crAp about how you dont like this music)...

Is hardcore an actual genre??...

People like to say it is...

Buck

Smash Cadet
Punk never died...thats like saying rock died, hardcore is different from emo...I don't understand why either genre gets horrible rep, oh yeah MTV

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
my current favorite is probably Between the Buried and Me. they are all ridiculously good at playing. the guitarist is just the sickest. Haste the Day is alright, i don't like em as much. and Silverstein, though i'm not too familiar with em yet.

would alexisonfire be considered hardcore? i dunno, but they're great too.

and comeback kid, though that seems more punk to me.

oh yeah, punk is definitely not dead. just because green day became huge ******* doesn't mean there aren't so many good underground bands. the only difference, it seems, is that punk music today requires a LITTLE skill nowadays. whereas old punk (at least the stuff i listen to) is laughably simple.

EDIT: Jesus, how could I forget HORSE the band! they're amazing, and they sound like nothing I've ever heard before. some people call em 'nintendocore'. not a bad description, i guess

saberhof

Smash Master
i think Offspring messed it up(punk) , not to mean that offspring sucks...

*** yeah im gonna go see this concert is gonan kick ***:

Friday, July 28th
SOMA Presents...
As I Lay Dying

In Flames
Shadows Fall
Gwar
Trivium
Cannibal Corpse
Terror
The Black Dahlia Murder
Behemoth
It Dies Today
The Chariot
Still Remains
Job For A Cowboy
Evergreen Terrace
Through The Eyes Of The Dead

oh and this one too:
Thursday, July 20th
The Unholy Alliance Tour
Slayer
Lamb Of God
Children Of Bodom
Mastodon
Thine Eyes Bleed

*** Yeah !!!!!(all information taken by www.somasd.com)

Buck

Smash Cadet
saberhof said:
i think Offspring messed it up(punk) , not to mean that offspring sucks...

*** yeah im gonna go see this concert is gonan kick ***:

Friday, July 28th
SOMA Presents...
As I Lay Dying

In Flames
Shadows Fall
Gwar
Trivium
Cannibal Corpse
Terror
The Black Dahlia Murder
Behemoth
It Dies Today
The Chariot
Still Remains
Job For A Cowboy
Evergreen Terrace
Through The Eyes Of The Dead

oh and this one too:
Thursday, July 20th
The Unholy Alliance Tour
Slayer
Lamb Of God
Children Of Bodom
Mastodon
Thine Eyes Bleed

*** Yeah !!!!!(all information taken by www.somasd.com)
The first show I was supposed to go to but they decided not to do the show near by...I have to see GWAR at some point...the second show I'd only go for COB

JFox

Smash Hero
Crimson King said:
Slayer is badass, but that is metal, not that hardcore or whatever.
That is the problem. There is technically no way to really define any of this music. What makes a band "Hardcore" and not metal?

Edit: I'm surprised no one mentioned Avenged Sevenfold yet. They are really good...and I think that is hardcore. Who the f*ck knows lol.

Buck

Smash Cadet
Kujirudo said:
Sorry but Hardcore is NOT a kind of punk for me. Hardcore is a harder version of trance. Hardrock, that is some kind of punk.

Well then you don't know much about genres, plain and simple.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Buck said:
Well then you don't know much about genres, plain and simple.
Well, if you really want to get picky about what is a genre, then no, you're both right. Hardcore is clearly a type of techno , and also an offshoot of punk that developed in the 80's.
Can't we agree that maybe, just maybe, the same name exists for two separate things?

But as far as hardcore punk goes, I'm a fan of Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi (more post hardcore) and some other bands like that. But I can't stand any of the newer bands like Thrice, Atreyu, etc.

saberhof

Smash Master
I know this isnt Hardcore but has anyone herd of "the Locust" man i love that fuking drummer...they all kick major a**..theyre more like Screamo..

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
The Locust are ****ing insane! Really good stuff though. If you're liking stuff like that, listen to Pig Destroyer.

And i really don't want to sound like a pretentious ******* or anthing, but not one of the bands mentioned in the first post could be classified as hardcore music, they belong more in the metal category, which is very very broad, by the way. Most of the bands in the first post, i've heard of, and most are pretty good. Mastodon and The Black Dahlia Murder especially.

Hardcore is an adaption of punk, which takes slight influence from old heavy metal, creating a more aggresive and speedy version of punk, with aggresive vocals. Sorry to be picky and all, but i'm a part of the alternative music scene in my country, and there is a big difference between metal and hardcore.

Mugquomp listed some hardcore bands, and for additional ones, listen to Comeback Kid, Baysix, Terror, Bane, Champion and Throwdown.

For some good metal, look up Scar Symmetry, Shaped By Fate, Dragonforce, In Flames and At The Gates. All really varied.

Starálfur

Smash Apprentice
I'm not actually at all sure about subgenres of music so I'll just say the band that I'd but along with Thursday and Atreyu: Death From Above 1979.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Just to clear things up a little bit, I'll do a quick definition of terms so nobody can mix up emo, screamo, hardcore and grindcore/old school.

Emo : A music gender influenced majorly by emotions. The singer normaly seems to cry desperation and the band is mediocre; easy guitar riffs and bad drum playing are required
Bands related : My chemical romance, Taking back sunday, etc.

Screamo : Emo took to another level. You got double pedal added to the drum, some guitar solos (not outstanding though) and the singer mix up scream and singing.
Bands related : Underoath, Alexisonfire, Funeral for a friend, etc.

Hardcore : This, compared to those below, is completely different. Instead of having "girly tight pants wearing" musicians, you finally enter in a world where guitar, bass, drum players and singers looks normal. You start getting into music without boundaries, everyting is possible and you can get as experimental as you want. 2 steps, breakdown and moshing kicks in to give you a great musical experience.
Bands related : Old Atreyu, Old As I Lay Dying, Haste the Day, Still Remains, Between the Buried and me, etc.

Grindcore/Old school : If you get here, you can never go back. This is the most violent style of music you might ever heard, a combination of hard punk, death metal and hardcore. Almost everybody stops at hardcore and will probably won't discover how precious this last style is because it is impossible to get records of those bands without going to their shows. Hard to describe, you need to hear it to make the difference between Hardcore and Grindcore.
Bands related : Ion Dissonance, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, Into the Moat, Number 12 looks like you, Despised Icon, Sworn enemy, etc.

Some of this is opinion based, but I did my best to help everybody know what they are listening to.

<3 Luigitoilet 'cause he likes Between :D

D-Man

Smash Apprentice
cF=) said:
Just to clear things up a little bit, I'll do a quick definition of terms so nobody can mix up emo, screamo, hardcore and grindcore/old school.

Emo : A music gender influenced majorly by emotions. The singer normaly seems to cry desperation and the band is mediocre; easy guitar riffs and bad drum playing are required
Bands related : My chemical romance, Taking back sunday, etc.

Screamo : Emo took to another level. You got double pedal added to the drum, some guitar solos (not outstanding though) and the singer mix up scream and singing.
Bands related : Underoath, Alexisonfire, Funeral for a friend, etc.

Hardcore : This, compared to those below, is completely different. Instead of having "girly tight pants wearing" musicians, you finally enter in a world where guitar, bass, drum players and singers looks normal. You start getting into music without boundaries, everyting is possible and you can get as experimental as you want. 2 steps, breakdown and moshing kicks in to give you a great musical experience.
Bands related : Old Atreyu, Old As I Lay Dying, Haste the Day, Still Remains, Between the Buried and me, etc.

Grindcore/Old school : If you get here, you can never go back. This is the most violent style of music you might ever heard, a combination of hard punk, death metal and hardcore. Almost everybody stops at hardcore and will probably won't discover how precious this last style is because it is impossible to get records of those bands without going to their shows. Hard to describe, you need to hear it to make the difference between Hardcore and Grindcore.
Bands related : Ion Dissonance, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, Into the Moat, Number 12 looks like you, Despised Icon, Sworn enemy, etc.

Some of this is opinion based, but I did my best to help everybody know what they are listening to.

<3 Luigitoilet 'cause he likes Between :D

hrmm

a good explaination
well a great explaination
and some good choice bands for example
i still disagree with MCR being a emo band though but im not gonna start a big controversy.

i think the biggest difference between grind and hardcore. is the fast paced drums and shorter songs with shorter lyrics. To the novice of grindcore it just sounds like its just constant screams and grunts.

btw alot of hardcore bands and a few grindcore bands still do wear girl pants lol.

$sD

Smash Ace
"Go Eat Your Eggs?"

luigitoilet i love you

because i have a great love for horse the band...

dman

u could be think of post hardcore bands that still wears girl pants
but i do agree some hardcore bands do.

but there are many offbreads of hardcore
which are basically self explainitory

such as metalcore - Killwhitneydead
emocore - The Old From First To Last
grindcore is actually one of those - The Locust
post-hardcore - The Blood Brothers

and so on...

cF=)

Smash Lord
D-Man said:
a few grindcore bands still do wear girl pants lol.
If you ever went to a Though guy/Old school show, people are much more associated with skin heads way of dressing. Army pants, ears stretched to a maximum and many piercings are common.

D-Man said:
i think the biggest difference between grind and hardcore. is the fast paced drums and shorter songs with shorter lyrics.
Shorter songs ? I have to disagree. Some songs can last over 4 minutes even though it can get repetitive. About the fast paced drum, an influence from Hardpunk which is one of the multiple origin of Hardcore.

Top Bottom