• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Free Anti-virus?

UberMario

Smash Master
"Best", "Free", and "Anti-Virus" don't go together in the same sentence. It takes a lot for developers to research, analyze, and determine a way to terminate these malicious programs, if you use a freeware anti-virus, you're going to get a virus at some point anyway because they aren't as well developed.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not true, Ubermario.

I use a combination of AVG and Malwarebytes to keep me safe and clean.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Okay so I try downloading MalwareBytes free and I click run and then run again, but nothing comes up after that. Like I can't then install it. Help?

UberMario

Smash Master
Not true, Ubermario.

I use a combination of AVG and Malwarebytes to keep me safe and clean.
Hmm, for some reason I thought AVG had to be purchased, I never heard of Malwarebytes though. How good is the combination compared to McAfee?

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Avira gets the job done.

As long as you monitor what's going in/out of your computer, you really don't need to buy a super-hyped-op antivirus.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
"Best", "Free", and "Anti-Virus" don't go together in the same sentence. It takes a lot for developers to research, analyze, and determine a way to terminate these malicious programs, if you use a freeware anti-virus, you're going to get a virus at some point anyway because they aren't as well developed.
That's true!! I'm an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and I can tell...
all anti-viruses need to be updated periodically, and while doing that at some point you may be sending some alerts to the owners that you're using a free/cracked version of their software, and you won't get the actual update you need for all new viruses.
And you should know they come a lot of viruses all the time...

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
That's true!! I'm an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and I can tell...
all anti-viruses need to be updated periodically, and while doing that at some point you may be sending some alerts to the owners that you're using a free/cracked version of their software, and you won't get the actual update you need for all new viruses.
And you should know they come a lot of viruses all the time...
"Microsoft" and "professional" don't go together in the same sentence.

(jk. <3)

Almost all free anti-virus programs have frequent updates, and they are generally the full updates. I have no idea how you came up with that assumption.

Anyway, I use A-squared and Avg on my windows partition, and aside from the once-in-a-blue-moon virus that slips through Avg's ****ty firewall (and is promptly taken care of by a-squared or avg), it works pretty well.

My Ubuntu partition just has a couple scanners, but that's an entirely different story.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Werekill said:
"Microsoft" and "professional" don't go together in the same sentence.
https://mcp.microsoft.com/authentic...rl=https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/default.mspx

google it if you don't believe me... :p jk...

an anti-virus update by the time you install it, comes to the time it was developed, wich means all viruses that come from that date forth MAY not be recognized... however there's a posibility that when updating it you don't get a full update, because for instance: I could make a file right now send it to someone, that just by accepting it will end up in the complete format of his/her entire hard drive.
so...
Almost all free anti-virus programs have frequent updates, and they are generally the full updates. I have no idea how you came up with that assumption.
It's not an assumption but a fact.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Huh? The first part of that paragraph is exactly how ALL anti-virus programs work, and that last bit made no sense whatsoever.

And I'm not even going to argue about your little assumption. I'm sorry, but if you don't believe me, that's your problem and not mine.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Huh? The first part of that paragraph is exactly how ALL anti-virus programs work, and that last bit made no sense whatsoever.

And I'm not even going to argue about your little assumption. I'm sorry, but if you don't believe me, that's your problem and not mine.
Yeah Whatever.

eNomineZerum

Smash Rookie
Check to see if your ISP provides free anti-virus. Suddenlink, on all internet plans, offers free McAfee. It wasn't promoted but it is there if I ever drop AVG and Spybot. :)

By the name of Zero

Top Bottom