• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Follow-Ups After a Throw?

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
I've been trying out Lucario since launch and I'm liking the way he plays. My question to the Lucario Nation is: what sort of follow-ups do you favor after a throw?

Here's what I've been trying:
At low percents: U-throw to u-tilt to aerial of choice (sometimes n-air, sometimes f-air, it's positioning dependent)
B-throw to dash attack OR dash up bait and punish wakeup with side-b OR neutral b
At high percents: U-throw to jump attack of choice (usually f-air or u-air) or u-smash on their way down
B-throw to dash attack to juggle combo/edge guard

What follows-up a throw best in your opinion?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
At low percents if they fail to tech or something Dash Attack to Dash Attack (if they have sucky DI). Its silly how you can string Dash attacks. Every time I get two consecutive dash attacks I wanna shout "Olay!"

Pthas

Smash Rookie
Down throw > Fair > Fair > Nair if they don't have good DI.

Down throw > Uair > Uair if they DI to the left or right.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
You might actually get more out of UThrow. We used to do stuff like DThrow to an airdodge mindgame BAir in Brawl.

Min fresh UThrow damage is 7%, while DThrow is 4%. UThrow can kill at probably when both characters are at 170%, so you shouldn't have to worry about staling it at 0%.

Fun fact, UThrow is the only buffed throw Lucario has damage wise at 0% since Brawl.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
You might actually get more out of UThrow. We used to do stuff like DThrow to an airdodge mindgame BAir in Brawl.

Min fresh UThrow damage is 7%, while DThrow is 4%. UThrow can kill at probably when both characters are at 170%, so you shouldn't have to worry about staling it at 0%.

Fun fact, UThrow is the only buffed throw Lucario has damage wise at 0% since Brawl.
Depends on percents. I find that uthrow and dthorow can be used interchangble. Dthow better a low percents up throw better at high percents.

Zachary Cervone

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirVown
3DS FC
4957-3162-9402
Also depends on who you are up against, thing is Lucario is very heavy in the spacing department meaning most of his throws and moves aren't as combo heavy as others like Mario's or Sheik's. Assuming people realize this you probably should make the decision for yourself on if you want to be tactically offensive or tactically defensive and mix it up to keep them guessing. So after a forward throw instead of a dash attack which could receive a response if they use a move as well you could dash shield into their counter move and grab them again. It is super expansive and there is no clear best option for Lucario so all I can suggest is learn the matchup and the person you are against then make your decision :)

Top Bottom