• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Falco in the world?

Kansai

Smash Rookie
It's pretty non-definitive who the best Falco in the world is. Only three top players play him, Mango PPMD and Westballz. While Westballz is clearly a step below the two gods, it's hard to say who would win if they all could only use Falco. Who knows, maybe Westballz would win if he doesn't have to go against Fox or Marth.

What do you guys think?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Definitely PPMD. This man's too good. I think that the second-best Falco is Westballz, though. Once he starts adapting a little more, not randomly sucking, and not SDing half the time, he'll definitely be way more of a threat to the Gods than he is now.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Definitely PPMD. This man's too good. I think that the second-best Falco is Westballz, though. Once he starts adapting a little more, not randomly sucking, and not SDing half the time, he'll definitely be way more of a threat to the Gods than he is now.
> Implying Westballz falco is better than Mango Falco

Kansai

Smash Rookie
I really do wish we got to see more of PP.

Grendel

Smash Rookie
Westballz is amazing at the falco ditto so It is concievable that if there was a falco round robin Westballz could win. Ik that PPMD has interest in playing westballz in falco dittos because he knows west is good at it but they havnt met in tourney recently bcuz pp never goes to tournaments

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Westballz is amazing at the falco ditto so It is concievable that if there was a falco round robin Westballz could win. Ik that PPMD has interest in playing westballz in falco dittos because he knows west is good at it but they havnt met in tourney recently bcuz pp never goes to tournaments
Well, even if Westballz were to beat PP or Mango in the ditto, that wouldn't necessarily make him a better player. There are of course, other match ups.

Sidenote: If PP went to more tournaments, this debate probably wouldn't exist.

Kansai

Smash Rookie
If you think about it, Falco dittos are extremely rare at the top level. Mango and Weston are the only guys who play the bird since PP is always in the mountains, and Mango never goes dittos.

Kansai

Smash Rookie
Well, even if Westballz were to beat PP or Mango in the ditto, that wouldn't necessarily make him a better player. There are of course, other match ups..
Well that's the point of the thread. Like I said, PP and Mang0 are obviously a level above Weston Dennis. But perhaps he could compete it it were Falco only since he has spent all his time mastering Falco.

Grendel

Smash Rookie
I thought it was worth acknowledging when considering who is the best falco although it is surely not the sole decider of who is the best falco in the world

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
It definitely was PPMD back in the day (21:30, like, holy ****) but today its Weston. When that kid goes off he goes offf
Well, I suppose we can't be 100% sure until partway through next year when PPMDs started attending majors regularly and maybe Wes starts SDing/choking so much. I hate the fact that Wes randomly sucks though.

flmo

Smash Rookie
PP probably is the overall better Falco since he's so consistent, although I'd say Mango's best is better than PP's best. Problem is that Mango will either get 1st place or 17th place lol

AirFair

Marth tho
Falco is his main lol. The tournament is just called low tier city. Westballz went DK because he slept on jake, and then jake beat him in a falco ditto

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
PPMD is definitely at the top, when his Falco is on, not even someone like Armada can take him on.

Westballz is potentialy second, simply because when he isn't in a slump, he could probably take out anyone in his path, including the god (3-0 mango at mlg shows his true potential imo)

Mango 's Falco is good, but he's been playing pretty sloppy this year, and using more Fox anyway, I would personally put him at third.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
PPMD is definitely at the top, when his Falco is on, not even someone like Armada can take him on.

Westballz is potentialy second, simply because when he isn't in a slump, he could probably take out anyone in his path, including the god (3-0 mango at mlg shows his true potential imo)

Mango 's Falco is good, but he's been playing pretty sloppy this year, and using more Fox anyway, I would personally put him at third.
While It is doubtless that Mango has been underperforming this year, and Westballz is decent at the Head to head, Westballz isn't at Mango's level. I'm not even a fanboy for him, but saying that Mango's falco is worse is just plain untrue. Mango uses Falco successfully against M2K and Leffen, and to a lesser extent Armada (He rarely goes falco v Armada in recent years though). Westballz falco can take sets off Hbox, but there is no data on how Mango's falco would do against hbox.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Mango is the best against spacies, PP is the best against floaties imo.

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
My theory on Westballz is that Westballz can beat anyone, but anyone can beat westballz. So theoretically if Westballz is playing great, then he's the best falco in the world, but when he's bad he sucks. He's inconsistent. PPMD is more consistent while still playing amazingly which is why I'd put him at number 1, not to mention PP punishes Floaties like nobodies buisness. Now Mang0 is easily the best in the Falco - Fox MU but he doesn't have the same game as PP does against general opponents.

Westballz: Best Punish game. Best at the Falco Ditto (a fairly irrelevant MU in the top 10 players though)
Mang0: Best at Falco Fox (VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT MU)
PP: Best neutral play. Best at Falco Sheik, Falco Marth, and Falco Puff all pretty relevant.

Taking into account Mang0's Falco going off at Paragon he has a shot at being #1 falco but we have yet to see more PP.

With all of this I would have to put it in the order of

PP = Mang0 > Westballz

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
In my opinion, we don't exactly have enough info to determine whether or not Wes is better than Mang0 right now. Mang0 only recently started playing more Falco, so right now I think that Wes is better, but I feel as if Mang0 will be worlds better once he starts using more Falco. Honestly, I don't understand whhy he started playing more Fox dittos when he hates the MU so much.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Because he knows he will have to eventually beat Armada in a Fox ditto to take a tourney off him.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah, he really can't go Falco against armada because of Peach.
Yes he can.

R1: Falco-Peach. Armada wins
R2: Fox-Peach. Mang0 wins
R3: Fox-Fox. Armada wins
R4: Falco-Fox. Mang0 wins
R5: Falco-Peach. Armada wins.

Falco-Peach is a very doable MU, so if Mang0 learns either the ditto or Falco-Peach, he'll be able to take sets off of Armada consistently in theory. Anyways, R5 is far from guaranteed.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Overall, its definitely PPMD. Mango just isn't near good enough against floaties, although he is probably slightly better vs. spacies and just as good against mid-weights.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Yes he can.

R1: Falco-Peach. Armada wins
R2: Fox-Peach. Mang0 wins
R3: Fox-Fox. Armada wins
R4: Falco-Fox. Mang0 wins
R5: Falco-Peach. Armada wins.

Falco-Peach is a very doable MU, so if Mang0 learns either the ditto or Falco-Peach, he'll be able to take sets off of Armada consistently in theory. Anyways, R5 is far from guaranteed.
But Mango loses in the case you described, so why would he do that? Its a doable MU, but its less doable than any of the other MUs Mango has to pick from. Choosing to go Falco would basically be a self-imposed handicap.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
He does lose in that situation, but the thing with that is that if he were to improve his Falco vs. Peach, he would be improving a MU that he doesn't entirely hate (Fox ditto).

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
Mango is the best player that plays Falco, but PP is fundamentally the best Falco in the world. Westballz isn't very consistent and always makes poor decisions for the sake of looking/feeling cool (multishines, unnecessarily extending edgeguards, edgeguarding with the most technical option rather than the most practical one, trying to get 10+ hit combos instead of 6-8 hit combos that give stage position)

Last edited:

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
I think on a good day westballz could beat Mango or PP but westballz is pretty inconsistent, probably one of the main reasons he's not considered a god.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I'm not sure that Westballz could beat PPMD on a good day, but he's proven himself more than capable against Mango.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty non-definitive who the best Falco in the world is. Only three top players play him, Mango PPMD and Westballz. While Westballz is clearly a step below the two gods, it's hard to say who would win if they all could only use Falco. Who knows, maybe Westballz would win if he doesn't have to go against Fox or Marth.

What do you guys think?
No love for poor Zhu ;(

Top Bottom