• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best combos from Throws

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Which characters have the best throw-game, in regards to being able to follow up with true combos. MK has some great tricks with dthrow, as does Ness (barring VI and requiring reads), and many other characters. It's an important aspect of competitive Smash and definitely worth talking about.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
With default setups on every character, here are the best combo-related throws I found thus far:

Mario Dthrow
Luigi Dthrow (can pretty much follow up with anything after it)
Dr. Mario Dthrow
Peach Dthrow (at low-mid percents but not reliable otherwise)
Diddy Uthrow and Dthrow
Ness Dthrow (the trajectory that this throw sends opponents isn't always reliable however)
Zelda Dthrow (at later percents into Uair)
Greninja Uthrow
Samus Dthrow
ZSS Dthrow
G&W Dthrow
DeDeDe Dthrow
Sheik's throws are mostly decent but not always true combos. Dthrow is her best one overall
Palutena Dthrow
Pit Dthrow
Dark Pit Dthrow
Ike Dthrow (at low percents into Uair)
ROB's Uthrow (at low percents into Uair) and Dthrow. Dthrow is more reliable but does 2% less damage
Meta Knight's Dthrow
Falco Dthrow (Fair, Reflector, and Blaster being the main things you can follow up with it)
Pikachu Uthrow (at high percents into Thunder) and Dthrow
Captain Falcon Dthrow (sometimes sends a little too far out however)
Mega Man Dthrow (at lower percents). Uthrow -> Tornado is also very notable but definitely not a true combo.
Sonic Uthrow (spring)
Mii Brawler Dthrow
Olimar Uthrow (at low percents) and Dthrow. Different Pikmin colors will change the damage and trajectory of throws.

26 out of 51 characters. So about half of the cast has true combo throws.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
:4falcon:Falcon's down throw can combo into nair, uair, or even knee. Down throw to knee can actually be pulled off as a true combo but only at certain percents on certain characters with certain Vectoring/DI. Down throw into uair into knee is another situational but true combo.

:4diddy:I see a lot of Diddy throw combos in tournaments. Mostly down throw into uair into fair or airdodge traps.

:4miibrawl:Mii Brawler has down throw combos into utit and most aerials. I've seen down throw into uair into upb kill but I haven't tested it myself so I don't know if that's a true combo.

:4zss:Zero Suit Samus can combo uair off down throw at like almost any percent. Also she can even death combo Dthrow -> uair -> DJ uair -> UpB but it's very situational.

:4sheik:Sheik's down throw is as infamous as ever, to the point where people have found a pseudo chain grab with it oh boy.

:4fox:Fox down throw I'm not sure if it actually combos into anything but at low percents it puts the opponent in a bad spot to get easily followed up on. I think if it get's DI'd inwards you can combo into dash attack or fair.

:4gaw:Game and Watch's down throw combos into Utilt, Nair, and UpB. Sometimes side B is possible I think.

:4myfriends:Ike can combo down throw into nair at low percents.

:4littlemac:I think Mac can combo down throw into grounded up b since it jumps so high, but I can't remember if it's a true combo.

:4lucina::4marth:Lucina/Marth can combo up throw into uair but it seems really situtational.

:4pikachu:Pikachu probably has a whole bunch of follow up from his down throw but I haven't played with him much after the demo.

:4ganondorf:Ganondorf's down throw combos into Down B 2 (Wizard's Dropkick). Another reason why we need custom moves.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Ness and Cpt Falcon immediately come to mind. Dthrow -> Double Fair/Uair, respectively, are true combos.

Since no-one mentioned him yet, Falco has a slew of follow-ups for his down throw that are true combos and he can even true combo into Blaster from said down throw when his opponent is at 140%, as silly as that may be. Admittedly I haven't found any ways to keep it going from there, but I feel the sheer number of options he has to follow-up with as well as the reliability of the combos makes him worthy of mention. Also, Uthrow -> Uair works on most fast fallers up to around 100% and can be further combod into another Uair, a Bair or a Fair, with Bair being the most reliable from my experience.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit and Dark Pit's Dthrow goes into Utilts (at low %) and aerials until 60-ish, Fthrow can be followed-up by a dash attack or SH aerial at low %, and Uthrow combos into arrows differently depending on the angel.

IzzyWright

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0791-3719-4467
pac dthrow combos into dash attack on some chars
which sometimes goes into fair
Palu dthrow fairs most the cast

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
:4myfriends:

Low rage, low percent: Dthrow->quick hop Aether(25%), quick hop Aether2(32%), very light and floaty characters like Jigglypuff just bounce out for aether1 and miss for aether2.

Low-mid percent in general: Dthrow->Bair(21%),Uair(18%),Fair(19%), Nair(16%). At high rage and low % and low rage mid %, you need to quickly double jump into these. Works on every character. Stops working around the 50% area at low rage and 35% at high rage, depending on the character.

Unknown: It seems that upthrow might combo into some of these at various %, rage, and VI. Many situations are at the very edge of being able to get out or not by only a very few frames.

Ike's nair and uair combo into grab, adding an extra 9-10%, depending on the rounding of percentages.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Updated my first post. I went through every character. Those are probably the best throws overall. If I missed anything, let me know.

I may add more over time in regards to custom moves making certain combos possible. Though that's a bit of a daunting task considering how many custom moves there are. I do know that Mario can combo Fthrow into Fast Fireball...for 1% extra damage, lol

Lucario can also sometimes combo after Uthrow into Uair but I don't find it to be very worth it considering all of the factors he has to consider to make it work, and it's already pretty shaky. Watching his own percent, the opponent's percent, and considering both rage and vectoring makes his ability to combo after a throw quite rare...at least from what I have seen.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Mostly down throw into uair into fair or airdodge traps.

:4miibrawl:Mii Brawler has down throw combos into utit and most aerials. I've seen down throw into uair into upb kill but I haven't tested it myself so I don't know if that's a true combo.
As a Mii Brawler main I can confirm that this is true. His d-throw can combo into U-air, mutliple times even if they're at higher percent. It's incredibly fast and he can simply follow opponents to the ground and grab them again if they airdodge.

While this isn't a throw combo, I can assure you that the u-air into u b kill combo works. (most of the time my setups start with d-throw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcW2pc6Xtw

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
With default setups on every character, here are the best combo-related throws I found thus far:

Falco Dthrow (can only really follow it up with Blaster to tack on 3%...in regards to true combos anyways)

26 out of 51 characters. So about half of the cast has true combo throws. (25 if you exclude Falco since his is silly anyways)
Maybe my Training mode is broken, but look at all of the things I can do that the game registers as true combos.

DI/vectoring/whatever hardly seems to affect any of these, with 3 exceptions:
1. Anything involving Nair (Nair is a poor choice of followup anyway, so no big deal)
2. Dthrow -> Dash attack @ 30%
3. Dthrow -> Fair, but the worst it does is makes it so that not every hit of Fair lands; the two moves will still combo.

Do note that neither Rage Effect nor Stale Move Negation apply in Training mode. Also some of these just require precise timing (like you gotta act almost as soon as possible) and positioning (looking at you, Reflector).

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
My experience is that a lot of stuff that seems like throw combos turns out to be escapable with good VI or is really picky with percents/staleness/rage and is more about the way most down throws create really strong positional traps, but Mario/Dr. Mario just plain have the best combo throws in this game as dthrow recovers so fast and leads to so much. At a wide variety of percentages, my personal favorite is just dthrow -> power up special which is especially nice with Doc as he has no real reason not to carry power up special anyway and you're just doing over 20% with almost no execution requirement at all.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Hmm. Insightful video. Seems as though I was too quick to judge on Falco's Dthrow. Main things I missed were underestimating the timing/range of Fair, and...I completely forgot that Reflector existed for some reason. :/ Nice work though.

Dthrow -> Reflector might be the real breadwinner here. Works great with Custom 3 Reflector. (Fast Firebird can also work in some situations if you want to be goofy)

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Dthrow -> Reflector might be the real breadwinner here. Works great with Custom 3 Reflector. (Fast Firebird can also work in some situations if you want to be goofy)
I agree. More damage than Blaster and I get the feeling that it could be hard to punish if you retreat whilst falling back down. Got no proof of that though. *throws hands up in the air* I think second place goes to Dthrow -> Fair because of the damage output and potential for setting up edgeguards. More risk, more reward.

Void Reflector is the only custom I don't have with Falco :(

EDIT: Finally got Reflector Void. Dthrow -> Reflector Void is amazing can confirm. The timing and spacing is different to the default Reflector, thanks to the increased startup, but it's still VERY reliable and even works at 100% despite its slowness. In addition, normal Dthrow -> Reflector only outdamages Falco's strongest throw, his back throw, by a whopping 1%. Dthrow -> Reflector Void on the other hand, deals 5% more, which is actually a notable increase in reward. Finally the increase knockback is nice too.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I agree. More damage than Blaster and I get the feeling that it could be hard to punish if you retreat whilst falling back down. Got no proof of that though. *throws hands up in the air* I think second place goes to Dthrow -> Fair because of the damage output and potential for setting up edgeguards. More risk, more reward.

Void Reflector is the only custom I don't have with Falco :(
IMO the fastest way to get the last custom move for each character is to play them in Classic Mode 9.0, roll exactly 3 wrenches on stage 1 and then suicide stage 2. Also make sure to not take any paths that have trophies on them because you want to end the game with exactly 3 items (otherwise you start losing stuff).

Other people do things like target blast, but I think this is faster because you get 3 wrenches per try. Only downside is you need a lot of gold because it costs you around 1.5k per try, but if you've already done a lot of grinding then you should have a lot saved up.

Top Bottom