• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best character counters for top tiers?

Drewskitor

Smash Rookie
NNID
MtnDrew33
Who are the best counters for characters like Sheik, Luigi, ZSS, etc?

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
They don't have many, that's why they're top tier. But...

Luigi has issues getting camped - just watch what ESAM did to one of the best Luigis at EVO with his Samus. So characters with good projectiles that outrange his fireballs give him issues.

ZSS, not sure.

Sheik, there are no counters. Sorry! Maybe Pikachu? ESAM did almost take a set off ZeRo.

Last edited:

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
After Leo beat Mr. R, some people are saying that Meta Knight possibly counters Shiek.

Last edited:

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
I've managed to defeat a ZSS (the one I fought wasn't as good) and a couple Sheiks (man, they were good) as Ike.

Be careful fighting Sheiks with slow and heavy characters, and try not to throw out a lot of smash attacks unless your really going in for the kill. They are super quick! I say this because when I did that as Ike, I was always left wide open and they would perform those aggravating combos. They WANT you to rush in, miss, and get annoyed. It is to their advantage. I seriously had to play the patient game with them.

Sorry I can't offer you a better strategy.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I don't think there's a single character good vs both sheik and luigi.

Pikachu, Sonic, and MK have been alleged to be good vs sheik, but these characters lose pretty decisively to luigi. (MK vs Luigi is debatable but I don't see how he can have a good one with no real runaway game)

And of course, characters like megaman, rosalina, and rob certainly don't beat sheik.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't look for characters that counter top tiers. Just pick one that has an even or close to even matchup with most of them and stick with them. No one does well vs all of them, except Sheik, but the top tiers have a lot of 50/50 or 55/45 matchups imo that aren't too terrible.

If you really just want to do well vs every top tier in all situations though, pick Sheik.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
For bandwagonknights: MK does ok against Sheik(its not even smh) and Luigi. If you get the stock lead and don't camp or time out you deserve to lose, anyway for ZSS you need to bring your 'A' game.

The smartest thing to do is pick :4sheik: keep it simple.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I'm pretty sure Mii Brawler has at least even match ups with Zamus and Sheik.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
IMO

Sheik: Sheik, maybe MK
Rosa: Sheik, maybe MK
Luigi: Sheik, Rosa, Megaman, ZSS, maybe ROB
ZSS: Sheik
Pikachu: Sheik

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I noticed that quite a few Sonics have fallen to Ikes recently, even the most reputable ones. The sets involving Ryo and StaticManny were especially noteworthy.

I remember seeing somewhere how Ike's Quick Draw and Dash Attack out-prioritize Sonic's Spin Dash. ^-^

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Kirby is probably the best low tier at fighting Sheik if that's what you mean, but he doesn't counter her. Luigi has a lot of counters due to him having quite a bit more weaknesses than the other top tiers, but I don't wanna name specifics and be wrong. ZSS is really only beat by Sheik and maybe another top tier or 2. Pikachu only really has trouble with Sheik and Ness if I recall correctly.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Kirby is probably the best low tier at fighting Sheik if that's what you mean, but he doesn't counter her. Luigi has a lot of counters due to him having quite a bit more weaknesses than the other top tiers, but I don't wanna name specifics and be wrong. ZSS is really only beat by Sheik and maybe another top tier or 2. Pikachu only really has trouble with Sheik and Ness if I recall correctly.
Pikachu's MU against luigi is his worst I think. Not exactly a pika main but larry did make esam switch off of pika at CEO with luigi.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Lucario counters Sheik, Sheik counters everybody else, Zero Suit counters Rosalina, Rosalina counters Luigi, Luigi counters no one, really.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Sheik wins every MU on every stage. The characters that do best against her are herself, Pikachu, Mario, Fox, Kirby, and maybe MK Diddy and Ness too

Luigi has a fair bit of trouble against Sheik, Rosa and ZSS (I hear Rosa is his worst MU). A bunch of other niche characters also do well against Luigi; ROB, Shulk, Samus, Megaman, really most characters that can zone him out well with either good disjointed hitboxes (Shulk, Ike maybe) or projectiles (ROB, Samus, Megaman).

ZSS's worst MUs are Sheik and Pikachu, which are both solid disadvantages for her, but not really 'counters'. She also imo loses slightly to Diddy, Mario, Ness, and maybe Fox.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Just curious, why does Lucario counter Sheik, because of his aura? I don't see how that's different from any other matchup with Lucario. Just curious since it seems to be a common opinion.

btw Shiek counters everybody in this game. Luigi dies to good zoners, shout out to esam.

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
How do you think donkey kong is doing against top tier chars now that he got his new sexy murder kill throw?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Just curious, why does Lucario counter Sheik, because of his aura? I don't see how that's different from any other matchup with Lucario. Just curious since it seems to be a common opinion.

btw Shiek counters everybody in this game. Luigi dies to good zoners, shout out to esam.
It's mostly because Sheik generally kills late, when Lucario is at high aura and can kill the Sheik player a lot earlier. Add that to a recovery that comes back from anywhere past 70-80% (still gimpable though), and you've got a "counter" who really just has a less bad matchup than everyone else in the game (general opinion is that it's even).

Last edited:

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised no one else said this, but a lot of characters counter with down B

(bad joke is bad)

Though seriously, until the next patch, Shiek will remain this patch's Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
Sheik's hardest MU are: Pikachu, Mario, MetaKnight and Sonic
ZSS: Sheik, Pikachu and Mario I think
Luigi: Sheik, ZSS, and zooners
Rosa: ZSS, Sheik and MK

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Luigi as top tier?

Rosa V. ZS is more in ZS's favor, but Idk about online. The precision needed to punish doesn't work too well there. But offline, it's why Dabuz didn't even bother using Rosa against Nairo's ZSS.

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
With Lucario's neutral being somewhat mediocre in my opinion, I don't feel he counters Sheik, but his aura + rage keeps her in check. I do think that high level Sheiks won't have a problem with Lucarios as they are less prone to making mistakes at high level play.

I'd say Mario and Metaknight are likely even matchups with Sheik or barely in Sheik's favor. Kirby is not too bad either but I think Sheik still wins there too.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
With Lucario's neutral being somewhat mediocre in my opinion, I don't feel he counters Sheik, but his aura + rage keeps her in check. I do think that high level Sheiks won't have a problem with Lucarios as they are less prone to making mistakes at high level play.

I'd say Mario and Metaknight are likely even matchups with Sheik or barely in Sheik's favor. Kirby is not too bad either but I think Sheik still wins there too.
I heard this claim several times before but I really don't get it. How does MK have an equal matchup with Sheik?

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
I heard this claim several times before but I really don't get it. How does MK have an equal matchup with Sheik?
1-He has a good recovery, so Sheik can't gimp him
2-He can combo Sheik and get early kills with his up b and juggle her
3-Decent frame data
4-He is fast

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Multi jumps mean like Kirby he can escape some of Sheik's strings easier, and he has really early kill combos on her and great punishes and a great recovery.

I do personally think it's more in Sheik's favor thanks to her superior neutral game, but that's why people think it's potentially "even".

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Pikachu. He is one of the best characters in the game, only having a bad matchup against Luigi, and his matchup against Luigi is only like -1.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Sheik wins every MU on every stage. The characters that do best against her are herself, Pikachu, Mario, Fox, Kirby, and maybe MK Diddy and Ness too
That's enough to tell me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sheik has an advantageous MU against all of diddy, ness, mario, and possibly Fox (it's closer to even than it being an advantageous mu imo but some people would give sheik a slight edge if they know how to edgeguard fox)

Pikachu probably goes closer to even now that we kinda know what Sheik can do to stop Pikachu. MK and Kirby are good against her though.

re: people asking how Kirby has a good MU against Sheik; not only can Kirby crouch needles, avoid being punished on landing with needles thanks to having multiple jumps, and is floaty as hell with a small hurtbox, but he can actually use needles himself and has some brutal combos on Sheik. The same kinda applies to MK minus copying needles and plus MK having a dangerous kill setup. They're both also really hard to edgeguard/kinda impossible in MK's case.

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's enough to tell me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sheik has an advantageous MU against all of diddy, ness, mario, and possibly Fox (it's closer to even than it being an advantageous mu imo but some people would give sheik a slight edge if they know how to edgeguard fox)

Pikachu probably goes closer to even now that we kinda know what Sheik can do to stop Pikachu. MK and Kirby are good against her though.

re: people asking how Kirby has a good MU against Sheik; not only can Kirby crouch needles, avoid being punished on landing with needles thanks to having multiple jumps, and is floaty as hell with a small hurtbox, but he can actually use needles himself and has some brutal combos on Sheik. The same kinda applies to MK minus copying needles and plus MK having a dangerous kill setup. They're both also really hard to edgeguard/kinda impossible in MK's case.
??
idk if you misread but I said she doesn't lose any MUs, and I said those characters do the best against her (ie those MUs are closest to even)
What did I say that was so inaccurate

Top Bottom