• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Pikachu in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Pikachu from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Fantastic, but was there doubt?

He seems to be the same, at least from my own casual stand point. His down-b might be weaker.

He also doesn't get a finisher which is disappointing. :/

I mean, it's Pikachu and I still love him. <3

Hoser

Smash Ace
His QAC is gone, but he seems to be able to attack instantly out of upB if you land it on the ground (at least with F-tilt, I didn't try other moves out of it)

Down smash is altered, and seems weaker.

There also seemed to be more time allowed for you to input the second part of up b, making it easier to do.
Also, thunder was altered. That pic where it shows it spiking is all one move. T2 now makes Pika shoot his tail up and strike the enemy if you spiked them with T1. Also, not every part of T1 spikes.

D

Deleted member

I took some notes about my observations from the demo:
-QAC is gone (this should go without saying)
-QA seems to have more lag if you QA into the ground
-QA doesn't seem to go as far as before
-His bthrow doesn't seem to send you back as far, though it does seem to send the opponent upwards more
-His uair works similar to the way it did before except that it has significantly more knockback
-His bair has less knockback, but seems to have less landing lag
-Tjolt is exactly the same
- Thunder is at least slightly faster
-His costumes are exactly the same as his Brawl ones: normal Pikachu, orange Pikachu with Red's hat, slightly greenish Pikachu with a green headband, and slightly bluish Pikachu with blue goggles. (this is obviously very important)

Predictions (I know it's early for this, but it doesn't hurt): Juggling won't be easy because his uair has more knockback. Playing aggressively will be more difficult without QAC, plus QA has more lag if you accidentally hit a platform or the ground with it. He seems very suited to a campy playstyle. Considering lots of other characters got buffed and Pikachu seems to have been nerfed in tons of ways, and is capable of slightly less than what Japan players did with him in Brawl, I predict him to be low tier.
Considering attacks seem to have slightly more hit stun and bthrow sends the opponent higher and not as far back, I wonder if a bthrow>bair combo might work better in this game. Though, the thrower also seems to experience more lag after throwing, so this might not work because of that.
Battlefield could be a more difficult stage for him without QAC to move around quickly and easily. Juggling and sharking don't seem like they'll do him much good since it could send the opponent too far to follow up with another attack. Thunder seems slightly faster, though, so it could be useful here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassio

Smash Master
Cool info, although I dont really agree with that analysis.

Also, there might be a new type of quick attack canceling. There were sometimes I could act really soon out of QA too like Cambriel is saying, and I think that mightve been what happened when Saphire thought she did one too. Hard to tell though and also hard to know how to do it.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Nnnnope.

However, it might've been buffed? I seemed to have had an easier time killing with it then I usually do in brawl. :/
Yeah it kills around 70% easily now if you time the zap correctly from what I see in videos.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Someone on the forums said that quick-attack can be used three times... can anybody confirm this?!

Edit: nvm it's confirmed i believe

Last edited:

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I like Pikachus Back-Air it hits so many times. Also liked his extra range on N-Air & up air.
I had a tough time on the wii u pad the buttons felt awkward never used one before.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
I took some notes about my observations from the demo:
-QAC is gone (this should go without saying)
-QA seems to have more lag if you QA into the ground
-QA doesn't seem to go as far as before
-His bthrow doesn't seem to send you back as far, though it does seem to send the opponent upwards more
-His uair works similar to the way it did before except that it has significantly more knockback
-His bair has less knockback, but seems to have less landing lag
-Tjolt is exactly the same
- Thunder is at least slightly faster
-His costumes are exactly the same as his Brawl ones: normal Pikachu, orange Pikachu with Red's hat, slightly greenish Pikachu with a green headband, and slightly bluish Pikachu with blue goggles. (this is obviously very important)

Predictions (I know it's early for this, but it doesn't hurt): Juggling won't be easy because his uair has more knockback. Playing aggressively will be more difficult without QAC, plus QA has more lag if you accidentally hit a platform or the ground with it. He seems very suited to a campy playstyle. Considering lots of other characters got buffed and Pikachu seems to have been nerfed in tons of ways, and is capable of slightly less than what Japan players did with him in Brawl, I predict him to be low tier.
Considering attacks seem to have slightly more hit stun and bthrow sends the opponent higher and not as far back, I wonder if a bthrow>bair combo might work better in this game. Though, the thrower also seems to experience more lag after throwing, so this might not work because of that.
Battlefield could be a more difficult stage for him without QAC to move around quickly and easily. Juggling and sharking don't seem like they'll do him much good since it could send the opponent too far to follow up with another attack. Thunder seems slightly faster, though, so it could be useful here.
QAC is confirmed in SSB4

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
QAC + 3 turns + knockback?

Guys, they buffed his quick attack so badly... THE MAIN ***** IS BACK TO WATCH THE REST OF DEM ******* FLAWP
:seuss:

Cassio

Smash Master
Does anyone have a video of the triple quick attack? I couldnt do it.

Valacar

Smash Cadet
Nnnnope.

However, it might've been buffed? I seemed to have had an easier time killing with it then I usually do in brawl. :/
Control (+Buff), Power (-Buff) TBH I'd personally rather have more control than power. Previously I could only get like 2-3 hits with it before it faded. Now I can get like 6-7+. I'd rather hit all the time than have powerful attacks tnat never hit.

D

Deleted member

I have not seen proof of the triple quick attack either. Anyone gots a source?

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
I'd just like to point out that considering Pikachu's strong ground-based game, powerful aerial options (esp. Nair), high mobility (QAC!) and multi-hitting moves such as Dsmash and Fair (the lack of Smash DI in SSB4 makes these moves potent), Pikachu is on its way to maintaining its above average tier placement that its had since Smash 64.

#basedpikachu

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
His Thunder seems to be somewhat slower in the 3DS version, although that may have been a stat modifier or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom