• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Bout Smash March - March 30th, 2013 - Portland, Oregon

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Doors open at 11am
Registration for all events starts at 12pm
Brawl events start at 1pm
Melee events start at 2pm
Possible Project M if interest and people bring set ups
I will also run ssb-vc if there is interest.

Address: 2409 SE 49th Ave
Portland, Oregon, United States

Venue fee of $5
Entry fees $5 per main event $1 side event (Project M)
Teams entry fee is $5 per person so $10 per team

Tournament Format
Bracket: Double Elimination
Games: Best of 3
Upper\Lower Finals & Grand Finals: Best of 5

Rules:
1) Bring your own controller
2) Modded controllers are not allowed
3) Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game. Unless the other person doesn't mind.

SSBM Rules:
4 Stock
8 Min time limit
Team attack on
Pause off
Items off/none

SSBM Stage list: First round will be selected by stage striking. Rock paper scissors for who gets to pick first or just choose between the two of you. Whoever strikes first chooses one stage they do not want to play on in round 1. The other player then chooses 2 stages they do not wish to play in round one. From there each player chooses 1 stage until only one stage is left. You then have to play the stage you are left with. You can also agree upon a stage.

5 Starter stages:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land 64
Fountain of Dreams

Counter Pick stages:

Pokemon Stadium

THERE WILL BE NO BANS FOR BEST OF 5 FOR MELEE EVENTS

ALL OTHER STAGES ARE BANNED AND WILL NOT BE PLAYED ON UNLESS BOTH PLAYERS AGREE TO IT.

You may not counter pick to a stage you last won on. The winner of the first match will then pick a stage to ban. After the ban has been decided the loser will counter pick to available stage of his/her choice.

2v2 Stages:
Final destination
Dream Land
Battlefield 64
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's story

Team attack is on
Life steal is allowed

SSBB rules:

Stock: 3
Time limit: 10
Team attack on
Pause off
Items: Off/none

SSBB Stage List: First round will be selected by stage striking. Rock paper scissors for who gets to pick first or just choose between the two of you. Whoever strikes first chooses one stage they do not want to play on in round 1. The other then chooses which stage to play on. You can also agree upon a stage.

3 starter stages:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counter Pick stages:
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

You may not counter pick to a stage you last won on. The winner of the first match will then pick a stage to ban. After the ban has been decided the loser will counter pick to available stage of his/her choice.

2v2 additional rules:

Team attack is on
Life steal is allowed

Cash prizes will be distributed at the end of each event
If more than 8 people enter
Pots will be split 70/20/10

If only 7 people enter an event cash will go out to first and second with second getting their money back and first taking the rest.

If only 5 people enter an event the event will be winner take all.

NEW TO THE SCENE? ANY QUESTIONS? ASK IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!

http://www.bestbout.com/

http://facebook.com/BestBoutGaming

Note from Best Bout management regarding change in policy

Best Bout Gaming
Some quick updates on policy regarding Best Bout. Things have been good and we are growing as a business, with that we have to adjust with that growth as more and more people come in and join the ranks. To maintain and keep things legitimate, we are implementing some new official policies. Here are a few of the immediate ones;

-Venue fee needs to be immediately paid upon entering Best Bout. If someone has to leave quickly we are happy to refund the amount, or if someone is just stopping in to say hi or pick someone up. But if you plan to sit down and play one game, the $5.00 needs to be paid. Again if you have to leave for some reason soon after paying, the amount will be refunded. Paying upfront also keeps the person collecting from having to run around and keep track of who needs to pay and takes away the hassle to all parties.

-Bring your own controllers.

-Best Bout is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Please keep track of your equipment just as you would any arcade or other business. We have had some of our own go missing over the years, it's no fun.

-The area behind the stream counter is off limits to anyone not sanctioned to be there. That means no one can go through the equipment drawers without approval.

-Personal hygiene. As Best Bout grows, we need to make sure the atmosphere remains pleasant. With more people coming in, please be respectful of your presence.

-Best Bout has the right to ban anyone who may cause issue, this includes theft, inappropriate behavior, and so on.

As we grow into a larger business, these are the steps that need to be taken to ensure a more professional environment. We wouldn't be here without the support of the people, and are looking forward to continuing the path we are on and evolving to the next stage. These perimeters are one part of that.
Thanks,
The Management

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Hype!

I didn't see any reference to rules for Brawl. Does that mean we're using The Oregon Rule Set?

The Oregon Rule Set (Brawl)
Tournament Settings

Stock: 3
Time: 10 minutes
Team Attack: ON
Pause: OFF
Items: OFF/NONE
Match & Set Rules

Type: Double-elimination Bracket
Match Sets: 2 of 3 rounds
Upper Finals: 3 of 5 rounds
Lower Finals: 3 of 5 rounds
Grand Finals: 3 of 5 rounds
For the Competitors

Tournament Play:
Step 1: Players agree on Characters
Step 2: Players agree on Stage
Step 3: Play the game
(refer to Match & Set Rules or ask the TO if you have a question)

THAT'S IT! THOSE ARE ALL THE RULES YOU NEED! HAVE FUN!

FoosJr

Smash Ace
yeah I'm gonna update the brawl rules in a bit but those are pretty much it. Also would be awesome if steven came down too. WA is talking about bringing a carpool down on facebook for melee would be sweet to get another legit event going.

k updated.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Yeah we might grace you with our presence. So don't make us regret it and let's have a good turnout eh?

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Workin on it, Eugene melee is bein *****es again but other than that we should have almost everyone else coming. Lots of people for the portland area and some new faces have said they're coming on facebook so i got my fingers crossed.

kwanzai

Smash Rookie
I definitely want to make it to this. As I have never been to Best Bout, I just have a few questions:

If I show up around 1:30 can I still register for Melee/P:M?
As far as PM setups, do you just need loaded SD cards, or wii + monitor, etc.?
Any suggestions for parking? (I'm also new to Portland)

Thanks in advance. Really hope we get some P:M going.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I definitely want to make it to this. As I have never been to Best Bout, I just have a few questions:

If I show up around 1:30 can I still register for Melee/P:M?
As far as PM setups, do you just need loaded SD cards, or wii + monitor, etc.?
Any suggestions for parking? (I'm also new to Portland)

Thanks in advance. Really hope we get some P:M going.
Would be awesome to see some new faces there this weekend is looking to be a pretty big even. Yes you can still register if you show up at 1:30 as far as project m set ups go if you can please bring a wii to set it up we're good on tvs. As far as parking goes parking on the street is free, just find a spot.

No U

Smash Journeyman
How often are there melee tourneys at this venue? Idaho might be down to come over at some point if this is a semi-regular thing.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Most of the time it is a monthly series, although I think it has been more than a month since the last one.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Most of the time it is a monthly series, although I think it has been more than a month since the last one.
This^^^

I try to run them monthly, I couldn't run one last month cause I was moving and no one else was available or wanted to run the event. I'm gonna try to start running these monthly again. I plan on holding another sometime during winter break so all of the people in college can make it.

No U

Smash Journeyman
Ah, cool. We might make it out for the next one then. Would've totally made it to this one if I'd heard about it earlier than 3 days ago haha.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Nice gonna figure out a date for next month today I'll update later would love to see Idaho come to an event.

edit: Updated for next months event.
Note that kj64 was removed from melee counter picks and there will be no bans in best of 5 sets for melee events.

Albatros88

Smash Rookie
Dude this looks fresh. I may have a homie or two from WA tryna come down for this for our first tourneys hah. There was mention of other people from WA headed down though and I was wondering if this was still happening? Possible carpool/convoy trip?

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I go to Best Bout I always get laid by hella sexy b*tches AND I'M UGLY AS F*CK!!!
Needless to say, I can't wait to go to this tournament!!!
Anyone that doesn't go is a complete moron with a micro-penis.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Binx you have my number right? Shoulda just texted me man. It's all good though I got the next date already I'm gonna update this soon and make a new facebook page for it and what not.

K updated and I like this new rsvp thing.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Hey, is best bout closed or something? the website is down and has been down for a while and The actual location is now another buisness. Did they move?

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Yeah they close awhile ago. Some people are working on getting another venue here soon, I've heard good things about Guardian Games' new venue but I haven't been able to check them out yet.

MichaelMM

Smash Rookie
Guardian Games is a good venue. Wherever this ends up being let me know. This is Faggo, I went to a couple tournaments. I hope this can be at a location I can make it to.

Top Bottom