• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Back Air in the game?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I wanna say Ike cause his Bair is very deceptive, when you think it won't hit, it will hit, when you think it will hit, it won't hit, that's just my experience anyway. But the Bair that brought me the most success is Falco's, decent range, comes out quick, and does a damn fine job at killing.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok if we want this answer questioned

Lets ask the guy who made the 2 best recovery videos for all characters (mewtwo to eventually be added to those.)

Which is the youtuber smash highlights.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ok if we want this answer questioned

Lets ask the guy who made the 2 best recovery videos for all characters (mewtwo to eventually be added to those.)

Which is the youtuber smash highlights.
Yeah, he's a less than credible source. That video was extremely flawed, and I would take it with a grain of salt.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Palutena's b-air is easily the best in the game. Provides invincibility. Beats out any other move in the game. Kills at around 120% I believe.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Luigi's KOs earlier than that. Sweetspotted, of course.
You don't have to sweetspot Palutena's. And it still has priority over any other move in the game. Low landing lag too. Short hop Autocancels as well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You don't have to sweetspot Palutena's. And it still has priority over any other move in the game. Low landing lag too. Short hop Autocancels as well.
True, but a move that KOs earlier Sweetspotted would be preferable to a move that doesn't require sweetspotting, but is weaker. Besides, most moves in the game KO at 120%, Palutena is nothing special.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
True, but a move that KOs earlier Sweetspotted would be preferable to a move that doesn't require sweetspotting, but is weaker. Besides, most moves in the game KO at 120%, Palutena is nothing special.
It KO's at a relatively good percent. And it beats out all other moves in the game. If you're looking for pure strength and autocanceling then obviously Bowser's Back air beats everyones. But the fact Palutena's b-air has priority over any other move in the game is what makes it the best. Samus charge shot? B-air beats it. Megaman fully charged f-smash? B-air beats it. Bowser fully charged f-smash? B-air beats it. I don't see how you can say that this move isn't special.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well for me ... It's :4sonic: b-air ... Slow startup but god . It's magical when it hit somebody . And after i think is :4lucina: and :4marth: b-air , so fun for ledgesnap/stagespike

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It KO's at a relatively good percent. And it beats out all other moves in the game. If you're looking for pure strength and autocanceling then obviously Bowser's Back air beats everyones. But the fact Palutena's b-air has priority over any other move in the game is what makes it the best. Samus charge shot? B-air beats it. Megaman fully charged f-smash? B-air beats it. Bowser fully charged f-smash? B-air beats it. I don't see how you can say that this move isn't special.
Again true, but even if you do outprioritize a move, what's the point if you don't get a KO from it? Meanwhile, with Luigi's, not only do you get above par priority, but you get what's essentially a guaranteed KO at 90% and higher. I'd gladly trade the priority for the power. Not to mention range.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pit, Palutena, Ike and 'Dorf are my favourites. They're simple to land and immensely satisfying for savvy punishment.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Zelda, Ness, Ganon, WFT, Bowser, and Cpt. Falcon all have great back airs.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Bowser's is scary. ;;
Ness' is also really good with the sweetspot. But you can't forget G A N O N.

Koopakid 64

Smash Rookie
NNID
koopaman
Bowser b-air is REALLY powerful if you land it multiple times. And yeah I prefer Bowser b-air for the punish.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
It depends on preference. For me, it's :4palutena:

1: Fair KO power and does 12% damage. Not the best, but it's manageable. It is one of her KO moves if it helps.
2: Decently fast, and doesn't have much landing lag. Short Hops can be performed to prevent landing lag.
3: Grants Palutena small invincibility. You can even destroy a Blast Box and take no damage at all. ♥
4: Capability of neutralizing relatively any projectile (except multi-hit ones iirc, like Smart Bombs), ♥
5: The move cannot be beaten in priority. It will either clash with a move or beat it. ♥

Gotta love its priority. and such. <3 Many may prefer fast and spammable, but I prefer a good defensive one with special properties, let alone its ability to take out even the strongest projectiles and challenge strong attacks.
Now look at the thread title, buddy.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It depends on preference. For me, it's :4palutena:

1: Fair KO power and does 12% damage. Not the best, but it's manageable. It is one of her KO moves if it helps.
2: Decently fast, and doesn't have much landing lag. Short Hops can be performed to prevent landing lag.
3: Grants Palutena small invincibility. You can even destroy a Blast Box and take no damage at all. ♥
4: Capability of neutralizing relatively any projectile (except multi-hit ones iirc, like Smart Bombs), ♥
5: The move cannot be beaten in priority. It will either clash with a move or beat it. ♥

Gotta love its priority. and such. <3 Many may prefer fast and spammable, but I prefer a good defensive one with special properties, let alone its ability to take out even the strongest projectiles and challenge strong attacks.
Bruh.

"Best back air"

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Again true, but even if you do outprioritize a move, what's the point if you don't get a KO from it? Meanwhile, with Luigi's, not only do you get above par priority, but you get what's essentially a guaranteed KO at 90% and higher. I'd gladly trade the priority for the power. Not to mention range.
The point of out prioritizing a move? You say that as if its a completely useless thing when in fact, that's one of the greatest attributes any move can have. You can avoid KO's, change momentum in a match, increase the opponents damage, edge guard, KO. Luigi honestly is just a bit overrated imo. Palutena's b-air has great KO power and much better utility in a match than Luigi's b-air or anyone else's.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The point of out prioritizing a move? You say that as if its a completely useless thing when in fact, that's one of the greatest attributes any move can have. You can avoid KO's, change momentum in a match, increase the opponents damage, edge guard, KO. Luigi honestly is just a bit overrated imo. Palutena's b-air has great KO power and much better utility in a match than Luigi's b-air or anyone else's.
You repeatedly bring out the fact that Palutena's Bair has is powerful, yet as I've said before, Luigi's is stronger. KOing at 120% is nothing special. Luigi's neutral air KOs at 120%. Even if you do outprioritize a move, there's no guaranteed that it will hit because of the moves subpar range. So far, Luigi's back air outfoxes Palutena's in everything but priority. And it's not like his has no priority at all.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
DK's bair is up there as well. It can combo into it self quite easily, you can do 2 in 1 short hop. It can kill at high percents and with DK's great horizontal recovery, you can chase your opponents far off stage to get an early gimp. It's just a really versatile move. I also think Falco's bair is pretty good as well.

Top Bottom