• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best approaches against campy players?

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
I would like to know for Mario what would be the best options for approaching against a campy player?

A scenario example would be :4diddy:. Diddy Kong is normally a campy player, and I need to make sure he doesn't pull out his best tool: The Banana. I can't stay back and keep using fireball, or else he'll pull out his tool or just block. If I use N-air, he could block and punish with his Banana or grab so it's rather a risky move, especially at lower percents. I think B-air or D-air would be better shield option, but he could easily shield the D-air and punish. And if I keep using B-air, he could move once I land and catch me with a grab.

What do you do against campy players as Mario?

Wom

Smash Rookie
NNID
PollsMan
I would say your best bet is creating a wall with well-spaced bairs and try to get a grab in, but with your specific scenario with Diddy you should try and read what defensive tactic he will use and counter it. For example if you think he will try and shield a dair then empty hop into grab.

Adam Sanders

Smash Rookie
With characters with projectiles you have to just walk forward and shield until you force them to the edge of stage. Just take as much space as you can so you force them into a bad situation where they have less options, if they are near the ledge try and predict their escape options whether it's a roll,jump etc and punish. Just try not to get impatient and watch out for their grab mix ups.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Personally, the only tried and true method outside of outplaying I've found is fludd to corner them to the ledge and read their landing or ledge get-up. Most good campy characters have weak recoveries or are otherwise susceptible to fludd. (A needle charging sheik gets really thrown off due to having to airdodge cancel needles offstage)

Remember, fludd gets more potent with rage too so all the more reason to use it if you're behind and being camped.

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
short hop fireball into him then grab, if he tries to jump or roll tons of options you can use to punish, use your projectile aggressively

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You need to learn to space with your aerials. It's easier offline than it is online. N-air and b-air should be easy to space. If you need to, use your analog stick to move opposite of your opponent while using the C-stick to perform aerials. N-air will be different in that regard, unfortunately. Remember, Diddy Kong's banana peel expires sooner than it did in SSBB. At times, it can only be used once before Diddy has to bring out another banana peel.

Grabbing the banana peel by doing a dash attack over it can help you use it against Diddy, since he's also susceptible to tripping. You could go for a throw to grab to d-throw and follow up with any combos. Also remember that as a Mario player, you don't have to approach. Diddy has to. His peanut popper is slower and weak. If your opponent puts up his shield a lot, find a way to grab him. I personally see Mario players attempt at using a fireball to a grab, but I don't allow that because it's predictable.

Top Bottom