• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Affordable Portable CRT

TotallyToasted

Smash Rookie
Hey, all! I'm interested in joining the Melee community, but curious to know what the best affordable and portable CRT television I should consider buying for the game is.

Any suggestions? My budget is anything under $75, but the cheaper the better, given that the screen is good quality and minimal input delay. Thanks!

rupan

Smash Cadet
Hey, all! I'm interested in joining the Melee community, but curious to know what the best affordable and portable CRT television I should consider buying for the game is.

Any suggestions? My budget is anything under $75, but the cheaper the better, given that the screen is good quality and minimal input delay. Thanks!
If you are travelling often (by plane) I would say use a laptop, download Dolphin and use a NGC controller adapter for your controller until you are settled somewhere, or unless you aren't travelling plane and you are travelling by car you could get a CRT similar to this;

Here is a link to the eBay listing if you are interested
But I've heard they are pretty meh for video quality since the screen is so small (and I don't really prefer these ones because mono audio)

Last edited:

Starchy

Smash Rookie
Search around garages sales, you could probably pick up a CRT for free, most people can't get rid of those things. Where I live you have to pay to throw them away since they are toxic to the environment.

lordofwood98

Smash Apprentice
i have a certain smaller LG flatscreen that i still can play melee on while it is not fullscreen its fairly new so you dont have to have two tvs for older play and newer play (unless you buy an nes/atari or anything that old)

SpaceCowboy35

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SPAC#649
Buy a disney princess CRT, they are some of the most widespread ones I've seen

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422

I had been looking on craigslist for a decent, portable CRT for a while. One day, I found a 16-ish inch CRT on the side of the road that someone was throwing out. It didn't have component inputs, but I bought a coax - component signal converter and it works great! I spent $20 on the setup. I think your best bet is to find one at a garage or yard sale for real cheap.

i have a certain smaller LG flatscreen that i still can play melee on while it is not fullscreen its fairly new so you dont have to have two tvs for older play and newer play (unless you buy an nes/atari or anything that old)
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but there's probably a bit of input lag in there, even if you don't notice it immediately. Theres a CRT thread around here somewhere that talks about the literal time difference in input lag between some CRT's and newer tv's.

Buy a disney princess CRT, they are some of the most widespread ones I've seen
These CRTs are usually legit.

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
Where I live, people give out CRTs for free everywhere. They're thankful for you to come pick up what they'd otherwise have to bring to the trash yard. If it has to be portable, I agree with one of the above commentors, but also generally, you can get a pretty accurate sense of the game with just a lagless (gaming) monitor and emulator (maybe with a Mayflash / Nintendo GCC adapter).

Top Bottom