• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best aerial approach?

MetaDan

Smash Rookie
I've been interested in maining Wario for a week now and I'm loving the air mobility he has. (Makes it easier to DI), but what would be my best way to approach from the air? I doubt it's bair 'cus of the landing lag, but I was thinking do a fast fall into bite right below them, or nair or fair. Or maybe even sh a dair. I usually play against a Snake, ROB, Falco, or Lucas. (All my friends play Top Tier characters, with the exception of Lucas.)

Or, if you think I shouldn't approach from the air at all... what should I throw into my ground game? I like to use tilts to get breathing room at mid percents, and fsmash to kill.

Thanks in advance.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's more important to know WHEN to approach than it is to know WHAT to approach with. None of his aerials will work if you do them at a bad time, and all of them will work when you use them wisely.

I use plenty of airdodges and fight battles up close, in their face. Sometimes I just sit out side their range and strike after they miss. What you should focus on is figuring out how much you can get away with, and what you can do after Wario makes a Move. Find the best situations, and use them.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A retreating dair to any fast (possibly spammable) ground move works quite well imo...

MetaDan

Smash Rookie
It's more important to know WHEN to approach than it is to know WHAT to approach with. None of his aerials will work if you do them at a bad time, and all of them will work when you use them wisely.

I use plenty of airdodges and fight battles up close, in their face. Sometimes I just sit out side their range and strike after they miss. What you should focus on is figuring out how much you can get away with, and what you can do after Wario makes a Move. Find the best situations, and use them.
Hmm, good advice. I just assumed thats the way to approach since he has a pretty good air game. Alright, how could I set someone up into a combo that puts them in the air, or is this even a good idea. I might be misunderstanding wario as a more aerial fighter like Luigi.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Your really not going to be shield grabbed or punished if you know how to keep proper spacing with Wario, so what you approach with isn't the problem, it's how you approach.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
lol why isnt some1 telling this kid to dair??? u know its warios staple air attack
Gheb_01 already did. Props for effort though.

I tend to use a range of airial attacks and air dodges to approach fairly promptly, of course, there's always the bike.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
A combo that involves approach:
Dair -> Jab -> Bite -> Sliding Usmash

After this a number of attacks may be used. But like others said, it is best to know when to approach. Playing Wario long enough will teach you how to approach.

DEEB

Smash Rookie
When I use Wario I tend to abuse the dair alot but that's just me. Expirement around alot, one thing that Wario is not lacking is aerial game haha

WaterTails

Smash Lord
I really like fairs combo'd into f-tilts. I don't think it's very practical with the tilt's startup lag, but it's good for mindgames. His dair is really nice for racking up some good damage, too. Also, at higher percentages, FF'd nairs can be nice for killing. Also, a bite thrown in here or there doesn't hurt!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Short Hopped Dairs are sex on toast and can be stringed together relatively easy at low percentages. I'd say if you can get the timing down and space yourself right, you can do about 45% damage in about 5 seconds flat. It's fast, it barely has any landing lag (unless you fast fall it), and it's almost as good at shield poking as Mr. Game and Watch's bair.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Short Hopped Dairs are sex on toast and can be stringed together relatively easy at low percentages. I'd say if you can get the timing down and space yourself right, you can do about 45% damage in about 5 seconds flat. It's fast, it barely has any landing lag (unless you fast fall it), and it's almost as good at shield poking as Mr. Game and Watch's bair.
Actually when you do fast fall the last part of the dair you can actually make it combo into things (as long as you still autocancel of course). I know ff dair to Fsmash is a combo. Hmmm, Dair and Fsmash come out on frame 9. But jumping takes a few frames. I'm gonna try in a bit if I can make ff sh dair to dair to connect.

Top Bottom