• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Belmont Matchup Handbook

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Preface:
The purpose of this thread is to compile techniques and interactions that are specific to each matchup. Specifically things like which projectiles can be beaten by the cross or which moves can be low profiled with dtilt1. What won't be compiled here are strategies for the matchups (ie character X loses to camping, character Y loses to rush down) as they can change dramatically with the meta and this thread should remain relevant no matter how the meta develops. Ideally a Belmont player should be able to look at this thread before going into a particular matchup so they know how to handle particular moves and come up with their own strategy on a per player basis.

The need for this thread should be self-evident, as the number of matchups and their interactions are far too large for any one player to know all of them or even experience all of them.

Please contribute what you know to the thread so that it may be added to this post. As this thread starts there will only be a few points on a few characters but as we compile information it should become an extremely useful guide for Belmont mains.

Note: When it states the Cross "beats" another projectile, it means the Cross stays out with its hitbox while the other projectile is destroyed or rendered not a threat.

Matchups:

:ultbayonetta:

:ultbowser:
When Bowser is using upsmash down air will bounce you out of range if it connects.

:ultbowserjr:
Cross beats canon ball when not fully charged
Cross does not interact with fully charged canon ball
Cross causes mecha-koopas to explode and keeps going through

:ultfalcon:

:ultcloud:
Ftilt beats Cloud's projectile
Cross beats Cloud's projectile

:ultcorrin:
Cross always beats Corrin's projectile

:ultdiddy:
Cross beats peanut
Ftilt beats peanut

:ultdk:

:ultdoc:
Any attack beats pills

:ultduckhunt:

:ultfalco:
Dtilt1 can low profile lasers
Dtilt2 can jump over lasers
Dtilt1 can low profile Reflector
Cross has no interactions with lasers

:ultfox:
Dtilt1 can low profile lasers

:ultganondorf:
Cross stops Wizard's Foot
Ftilt stops Wizard's Foot

:ultgreninja:
Fully Charged Water Shuriken beats cross

:ulticeclimbers:

:ultike:

:ultincineroar:
Cross(at max range) can activate Incineroar's counter and then hit him with the returning hitbox

:ultinkling:
Cross beats grenade
Holy Water fire sends grenade back
Holy Water bottle sends grenade back

Inkling's dash low profiles ftilt

:ultisabelle:
Fsmash angled down destroys buried Gyroid
If Cross is thrown and then you get hit by fishing rod, the cross can free you before you are thrown

:ultjigglypuff:

:ultjoker:

:ultkingdedede:
Cross reflects Gordo and keeps going forward
Holy Water Bottle reflects Gordo
Holy Water Fire only slows Gordo, but makes it trivial to knock it back

All projectiles can be inhaled and spit back by DDD

:ultkrool:
Cross beats Canon Ball
Cross loses to crown

:ultkirby:

:ultlink:
Cross beats arrows
Cross beats boomerang
Ftilt beats arrows
Ftilt beats bommerang
Simon's Holy Water causes bombs to explode. Richter's does not.

:ultlittlemac:

:ultlucario:
Ftilt beats uncharged aura balls
Cross beats uncharged aura balls
Fully charged aura ball cannot be beat

:ultlucas:

:ultluigi:
Cross beats Fire Balls
Ftilt beats Fire Balls

:ultmario:

:ultmarth::ultlucina:

:ultmegaman:
Cross fails to stop a flurry of jab/ftitl/nair
Whip attacks will go through any number of projectiles and hit Megaman with full force
Cross beats metal blade

:ultmetaknight:

:ultmewtwo:
Cross beats uncharged shadow ball
Ftilt beats uncharged shadow ball
Fully charged shadow ball cannot be beat.

:ultmiifighters:Brawler

:ultmiifighters:Sword Fighter

:ultmiifighters:Gunner

:ultgnw:

:ultness:
Cross beats PK Fire
PPK Magnet can absorb Holy Water's Fire(2% healed)

:ultolimar:
Red Pikmin are immune to Simon's Holy Water but not Richter's

Pikmin can be hit with down air after latching on to you if positioned at your feet

:ultpacman:
Cross beats fruit
Cross will go through fire hydrant and damage the hydrant
If Cross launches the fire hydrant it will continue going forward while the hydrant goes above it

:ultpalutena:
Cross stops most auto-reticle shots, but the last few come out. You have enough time to act.
Cross goes through explosive flame without stopping

:ultpeach::ultdaisy:

:ultpichu:
Cross beats Thunder Jolt

:ultpikachu:
Cross beats Thunder Jolt

:ultpiranha:

:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Cross beats arrow
Guardian Orbitars do not block axes from above

:ultpokemontrainer:
Whipping Squirtle's side B sends him backwards

Cross beats Razor Leaf
Dash Attack beats razor leaf

:ultridley:

:ultrob:

:ultrobin:

:ultrosalina:
Cross beats Luma

:ultroy::ultchrom:

:ultryu::ultken:

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
Cross beats uncharged shots
Cross beats all missiles
Ftilt beats uncharged shots and all missiles
Fsmash beats uncharged shots and all missiles
Dash attack beats homing missiles(need to test regular missiles, but likely beats them too)
Dash attack beats uncharged shots

Richter's Holy Water fire does not stop missiles(maybe Simon's does?)

Fully charged shots cannot be beat

:ultsheik:

:ultshulk:

:ultsimon::ultrichter:
Cross(on ground) cannot be low profiled with dtilt1
Ftilt can be low profiled with dtilt1.

:ultsnake:
Down air beats the mortar from Snake's upsmash
Nikita Missile cannot be low profiled with dtilt1. They collide.
Ftilt is not enough to destroy the missile. The missile can be guided back towards Belmont after being Ftilted if Snake is paying attention
Axe destroys his upB helicopter thing

:ultsonic:

:ulttoonlink:
Cross beats arrows
Cross beats boomerang
Ftilt beats arrows
Ftilt beats boomerang

:ultvillager:
Cross goes through trees
Cross blows up Lloyd Rocket

:ultwario:

:ultwiifittrainer:
WFT's crouch can low profile cross!

Dtilt1 low profiles sun salutation

:ultwolf:
Cannot beat lasers
Dtilt1 low profiles lasers. Dtilt2 will get hit.
If Cross collides with bayonet on laser, the laser won't come out. really makes you feel like batman

:ultyoshi:
Cross beats egg
Ftilt beats egg

:ultyounglink:
Cross beats arrows
Cross beats boomerang
Ftilt beats arrows
Ftilt beats boomerang

:ultzelda:

:ultzss:
Cross beats laser
Ftilt beats laser
Dtilt1 can low profile laser

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Holy Water instantly destroys Phantom... don't they have about 13 HP?

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Holy Water instantly destroys Phantom... don't they have about 13 HP?
In my experience the Holy Water does the damage to them fast enough to break them as soon as it hits them. Though I haven't fought that many Zelda's yet. I thought it was notable which is why I started this thread.

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
Belmonts dash attack goes through most projectiles without pause, such as Link's arrows/boomerang, Ridley's fire, Palutena's autoreticle etc.. Give it a try.

D

Deleted member

If you hit Zelda with holy water, then yes, it instant kills the Phantom, but any hurt that Zelda takes destroys the Phantom.

Now, if you talking about when holy water and phantom clashes, no, it doesn't destroy the Phantom. Matter of fact, the Phantom beats out holy water.

Now, I've tried other stages of the Phantom, and phantom beats it out, holy water doesn't do enough damage to kill it.

TheHero

Smash Cadet
If you hit Zelda with holy water, then yes, it instant kills the Phantom, but any hurt that Zelda takes destroys the Phantom.

Now, if you talking about when holy water and phantom clashes, no, it doesn't destroy the Phantom. Matter of fact, the Phantom beats out holy water.

Now, I've tried other stages of the Phantom, and phantom beats it out, holy water doesn't do enough damage to kill it.
Thank you. It has been corrected.

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
Now this isn't some sort of cry for attention or anything like that, but nobody seemed to care when I brought up how Belmonts dash goes through most projectiles. Surely this has to have some relevance concerning matchups, right?

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Now this isn't some sort of cry for attention or anything like that, but nobody seemed to care when I brought up how Belmonts dash goes through most projectiles. Surely this has to have some relevance concerning matchups, right?
It would but specifics are needed. Which projectiles can it go through? Does it always go through? If the projectile is chargeable are uncharged guaranteed and at what point would dash attack fail? Of course not all of these are needed at once to be added to the main post, but without specifics it can't be added.

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
It would but specifics are needed. Which projectiles can it go through? Does it always go through? If the projectile is chargeable are uncharged guaranteed and at what point would dash attack fail? Of course not all of these are needed at once to be added to the main post, but without specifics it can't be added.
Generally, what ever cross beats out, dash goes through. There may be some discrepancies. Yes, it always works while the dash is actually out, though I remember Pikachu's thundershock somehow getting in once which may have been my fault.

I'm not sure about the charged and uncharged part, though it may have the same interaction that cross has with them. I know it beats Corrin's fully charged attack, though.

IDK if you want me to compile a list or not, but if so that's something I'll eventually do if no one else wants to.

Last edited:

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Generally, what ever cross beats out, dash goes through. There may be some discrepancies. Yes, it always works while the dash is actually out, though I remember Pikachu's thundershock somehow getting in once which may have been my fault.
This is true but I am unwilling to extrapolate in that manner. Especially since strange and unusual interactions can exist such as that one with thunder jolt/shock. Hitboxes and animations often don't match either. I was able to dtilt under Falco's reflector as an example of something that really surprised me. So thinking of things as general properties would over simplify interactions and can lead to errors being put in the main post. If too many errors get added at once it can cause major issues and make the whole thing unreliable.

I'm not sure about the charged and uncharged part, though it may have the same interaction that cross has with them. I know it beats Corrin's fully charged attack, though.
This is another reason I am unwilling to extrapolate and just say something works in general. I am fairly certain Cross can't stop Samus's fully charged shot. They don't interact and just pass through each other. I would've assumed Corrin's acted similarly but you say otherwise(it will be added to the main post by the way).

Somethings can be deceieving too, like my own experience with Zelda's Phantom and Holy Water or Wolf's laser being stopped if you hit the gun(it can seem like it stopped the laser if you weren't paying attention or not knowledgeable about it).

IDK if you want me to compile a list or not, but if so that's something I'll eventually do of no one else wants to.
That's literally what this thread is about. Personally I don't like labbing that much and I thought a community driven collection of labbed out interactions would be the fastest and most accurate way to get a lot of info for the matchups documented.

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
Right. I didn't expect you to add anything yet. I was saying this under the assumption that maybe you didn't mind labbing and gave you details on what to look for. I'll make a list, eventually, but I'm pretty lazy. It'll take a little while.

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Right. I didn't expect you to add anything yet. I was saying this under the assumption that maybe you didn't mind labbing and gave you details on what to look for. I'll make a list, eventually, but I'm pretty lazy. It'll take a little while.
Don't worry about doing everything. I'm pretty lazy myself so I was only intending on labbing matchups that gave me specific trouble at locals. I assumed other people would act similarly and be willing to share knowledge about whatever problem matchup they labbed on.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any locals yet, but once I get into the in person scene I'll be adding more stuff personally.

TheHero

Smash Cadet
As of right now about half of the cast has some piece of data on them.

Top Bottom