• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner: How Were You Brought Up?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I played falco... fox came fairly naturally after that. The difference being that you don't have lasers, so you have to DD everywhere, and you dont have shine combos so you have to grab everyone. the characters feel similar though

Basically, once you have shffling and wavedashing down, just practice not jumping into the ****... that's the most important thing with fox. run around and look for opportunities. it's not hard to punish people, combos are easy, you just have to not get yourself killed before you get a chance to. so you abuse your gun and your blistering speed and you force people to get in situations where you can either grab them or hit them. then you do one of those things.

i picked up fox thinking he's about shine spikes and waveshines and fancy ****, but it's not true. the main thing i think about when I'm playing him is, 'how do i trick my opponent into letting me grab him?'

TheSensei

Smash Rookie
I really don't know if I should hand out advice but I'll just tell you how I ended up getting better overall
1) I watched the advanced technique vids that have been out for ages. This was when I first started. After viewing the techniques I started with short hop
2) You got to realize that fox is a pain to short hop with, literally. I practiced short hopping with other characters until I could consistently get around 20 in a row without missing. Also, someone mentioned earlier on softly pressing the x or y button to achieve a short hop, I was under the impression that it would be better to state that it's the quick release that causes a short hop. Press and release as fast as you can...takes practices
3)WD was next. I definitely started out with luigi. Once I mastered wavedashing all over hyrule temple (interesting to see how the WD is affected by different slopes) and final dest i moved onto other characters and the transition was pretty simple
4) SHFFL was next. This is hard to learn and it really is dependent on each character I think dair ff lcancel shine was the first thing i did or nair to the shine I just practiced that stationary and then after i felt comfortable i moved around while doing it once you got this you're good to go
5)Anything in the air to shine. Why? One, because you can, and two, I just wanted to be comfortable in the hand movement regardless of what attack I used
6) From now on, I pretty much watched vids and learned ledge hop DL and SHL and other various things
side b cancel is pretty situational but its worth learning. I also focused on dair shine wavedash to upsmash since that works against a few chars shiek is a good example. Also waveshining is worth learning and I am still practicing it, another pain in the ***.

Advice: I personally believe to get better at this game, regardless of your main, you need to play with other characters. The experience of being able to pilot each character really helps you understand the mechanics of the game. Also read up on DI!!!!!

Have fun!

Xposure

Smash Cadet
I still have a probably short-hopping. What I'm am doing is:

- Resting my thumb on the left edge of the Y button
- Quickly pressing and then sliding my thumb off of the Y button

But more than half the time I still Full jump.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
In order, the techniques I learned for Fox were:
1. Shine gimping
2. uthrow -> uair
3. Dash dancing (I learned this when I started playing Falcon)
4. Wavedashing
5. L-canceling (I didn't see the need to L-cancel with Fox for quite a while)
6. nair/bair/dair -> shine
7. Partial waveshining (shine wavedash grab/usmash)
8. Wavedash OOS
9. Powershielding (with a little focus I was able to powershield Falco's lasers almost on command before I took a long break from the game and couldn't really do it as well)
10. SHFFL (I couldn't do this properly with Fox and Sheik for a long time. Before, I always short hopped, waited, then did an aerial just before hitting the ground and L-canceled it)

Things left to work on:
nair shine usmash
Shine/waveshine OOS
Continuous waveshine
Short hop double laser
Firefox ledgestalling
Shortened Fox Illusion

Ryukku

Smash Rookie
sometimes when i wavedash my shield always pops out afterwards why is that D=

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
well play 64 melee but wasnt really into tourneys me and my bro thought we was the best in the world lol such noobs then went to brawl(still in it tho) then b+ dont know y i went there then i went to a b+ tourney only 3 ppl wanted to play it so it didnt happen lol so i play melee then fell in love with it again been going to tourneys but now im going back to my main fox so far i learned and mastered but still doing it for training.

Completed :
mastered wave shining
shL
dd(lol anyone can do that)
wave landing
L-canceling
shffling
CC
wavedashing
Working on now to improver
shdl
jcshine repeatedly
edge garding with firsefox sweet spot so i wont do the side be trying to edge hog >_<
go to more tourneys and post vids of my fox =D
look at more pro vids so i can get better

Top Bottom