• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming the next Sakurai

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
If the title is to be believed, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate will become the final installment of Smash (Spoiler: it won't. When has "the last" ever meant it in video games? Sayonara isn't the last Umihara Kawase game). There will obviously be a desire for gigantic crossover games in the future of any kind (but mostly fighting). Who will take up the mantle and inspire a future generations of fans, imagination, and multiplayer? And how will they do it?

Making a Smash game is very difficult. That must be why there's only one per generation, there's DLC being released in shorter installments, and there is an increasingly large number of stages from past games (with the past stages taking up the vast majority of the stages in Ultimate). It's like having to be every person and company all at once. So there needs to be the proper people.

What does a Smash development team consist of anyway? Just one director and teams of specialized artists and programmers (and later, testers)? Not entirely, there's others too. They might not sound as important, but they are. There is also a boss who, at various times, can halt or cut dead-end elements of production. He doesn't make any creative decisions, but can stop them. This may sound detrimental, but you need a boss to keep the company afloat and make sure something can be completed and released in order to meet sales goals. (and you need sales- only a fraction of your players will be tournament pros or even big spenders). Not only that, but advisers who have the pulse on the feelings of people who aren't big fans and don't understand things to bridge the gap. These would help the game appeal to families, new fans, and busy people. Lastly, we've reached playtesters. Forget about hiring fans who love Smash and want your crossover brouhaha to be as much like it as possible- you need to hire people who don't know what they're getting into. And make it a point not to take advice- your only goal with finaltesting (that's what I'm calling it) is to leave testers alone, maybe watch them play, and mainly check for how long it takes them to lose interest. Disinterest, not "bad programming" or "bad gameplay" is what should drive tester feedback. Tournament pros can be alpha and beta testers, but not final.

Lastly, it's not good to be part of a team full of people who want to become The Next Sakurai. There will be no cooperation and many fights among those and no good work will get done. On a big project, especially one evocative of Smash, your goal should be maintenance and making sure things that belong are in, as well as paying attention to any declining numbers of future installments and people playing the game less. And you might get criticism. From dissatisfied Smash fans. Learn how to calmly deal with people who aren't but want the best for you. It's better to develop with people who share a connection outside the fanbase than to hear stories about you completely tanking from everyone later.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy your writing on what it takes to run any big project, especially involving sequels with a vocal fan base that is very malleable and mutable. It is especially important to separate fans from ones that are too self-entitled to ones that have almost no dedication, but enjoy the products.

One essential part of development is necessary is PLANNING: there must always be backup scenarios when desired things cannot be reached, and must decide how worthwhile to get the character through legal means with permission and discussion. Planning can also include quick brainstorming of new ideas and "hooks" of potential characters based on clear themes, and creativity is always necessary, no matter how close or far the historical accuracy because you are creating new content. It is best to make the brainstorming last a short amount of time and get negotiations going so that there will be no more during launch build, not counting DLC or ongoing content patches.

I encourage anyone to give rational, game development oriented tips to stay sane and detached from fans when working with established series.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
That's good. Finally, someone on the same page as me. I usually like disagreement, but I've already had plenty of that on Smashboards lately.

Here's what I would put in the testing room: a fully charged laptop/wall computer off to the side. Not close, you would have to leave the couch to get to it, but in the same room and not so far away that it wouldn't be a somewhat appealing option if the player lost interest. Real environments will be much more intense than this as far as competing for playtime goes. Real customers will probably have a console full of games and many other entertainment things.

The reason for no advice? I would rather have it be fast and don’t want to change too much for one person who may not even end up buying the game.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
The reason for no advice? I would rather have it be fast and don’t want to change too much for one person who may not even end up buying the game.
I wonder what you mean by no advice, out of more clarity and defining boundaries?

I also wanted to add something when it comes to character development with different IP properties: sometimes collaboration and discussion of the creators behind them would be beneficial in addition to research and proper translation of elements from one game to another so that the particular character can easily be recognized by its signature elements, no matter how much free reign the creator has to interpret.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Playtesters should only have the abilities of the average customer. Real customers can’t order the team around. Real customers can’t receive guides from developers. If you lose a real customer, it’s over.

Also, one customer can’t determine what is good for millions of them.

Top Bottom