• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE ROLL - The Unofficial Rolling Thread

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Let's talk about the amazing defense that is our roll. Here we will discuss rolling strategies, rolling tips, and share secrets to help make this severely underused defensive wonder a move to be feared. If this takes off, I might make it into a rolling matchup thread or add airdodges/spotdodges to the discussion as well.

Essay on why rolling is amazing and should be abused intelligently to come soon.

To start us off, which characters do you generally find yourself rolling against and why? Do you usually have better options that you could do in this situation?

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
my number one use for rolling is probably to reset situations. i absolutely hate spotdodge wars, so i usually roll away after one or two spotdodges.

I also have used it to punish snake's ftilt. my friend likes to space ftilts, so if i see the knee come out, and it whiffs, i can roll behind him and start jabbing before he can do anything. i feel like i've powershielded the knee, and done the same thing, though i'm not sure. don't get too predictable with this though, i think i can do this on reaction to a whiffed knee, but if i prime myself to roll behind him, i may anticipate instead of react and run right into an utilt.

it can be useful on occasion against characters who try to wall you out with aerials. my friend likes to do that with kirby's bair, so sometimes i roll behind a bair, and depending on if it was a rising or falling bair he either has to waste a jump to turn around or get punished.

kyros

Smash Rookie
I used to have a pretty predictable game when it came to rolling, but I've worked on that habit quite a bit. I consider Lucario to have one of the better rolls in brawl, but that may just be my play style and how I space with him. Against most characters now when I roll the direction I roll (away/towards) depends on who I'm playing. For instance, vs Ike I hardly ever roll towards simply b/c of the reason the post above me states. If I'm too predictable with my rolls then I'll eat smash every time, or the opponent will try to bait the roll towards them in order to punish me. Rolling away is normally safer vs many characters and then forces approaches to start coming in to play in which I work my spacing to try to gain advantages.

Rolling away is especially useful vs DDDs who you know are looking for (or baiting you for) chain grabs. Sure they can throw their projectile to chase your roll but if hits its almost always better to get hit by that compared to falling into their chain grab game (the exception of course is the gordo if youre at killing percentage but at that point I'd probably be working on spot dodging and other things out of shield if my roll can be punished).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's good and bad.
Rolling behind certain things screws over the opponent, the problem is that Lucario's roll is also one that gets new/not as good players into trouble because it's so tempting, just like it is bad to do the full snake ftilt all the time, it definitely has its positives, but it can be bad if misused and predictable.

iLink

Smash Champion
I realized that I completely stopping using rolls at one point. I figured it was fine but then I came to the conclusion that if he has one of the best rolls, I should probably abuse of it a little more. So I don't tend to use it all the time now, just to space myself away safely or to punish something obvious.

Rolling is overall useful for our character, obviously too much of anything is bad. I started out spamming roll, then weened off of it recently, then i now use to to space my self, since the range on some of your attacks is pretty good, i also use it as a defense but hey its w/e

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
I probably roll too much as it is. I tend to be bad at spot-dodging, which I'm working on, and have a habit of rolling outta' the way instead. It actually doesn't get punished too badly, as I usually roll away anyways, but I'm still trying to break my dependancy. e3e;
The thread title made me gigglesnort, Kita... Heheh... x3

Top Bottom