• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Campy Wolves

soresu

Smash Rookie
How to beat camping wolves? His lasers force me to approach. Cannot win the projectile game, I try jumping with bombs/arrows but those are either shielded or reflected. For sake of argument lets just say I take a bit of damage from lasers, but I am finally able to approach (this alone is difficult).

I can't seem to find a reliable approach. If I do an aerial, I am always shield grabbed. If I I space properly and am out of grab range, I just get fsmashed. And if I'm out of that range I get hit by lasers.

Basically the problem is I am forced to approach, but I can't think of many creative ways of approaching that isn't shut down by shield grab or fsmash. If I eat a couple lasers, get hit by one fsmash, and get thrown once, i am already nearing the 70% damage.

The only time I seem to be able to damage the wolf is when he makes a mistake. sometimes I'm barely out of his fsmash range, or I jump over a laser and am able to aerial him right before he shields. But I always feel like I'm reacting to the wolf and not the other way around.

It's really frustrating. HELP!

Anklez15

Smash Apprentice
not sure but if u crouch when he shots his laser then ur shield might take the damage for it never tried it but it can take other projectile damage also when approaching uses his back air becuase the range is long enough that u shouldnt get shield grabbed if u space urself properly.

darkshy

Smash Ace
Depending on the stage and if he short hops or not your sheild prevents any damage from his laser. if your opponent sheild grabs alot try to mind game him into dropping his gaurd or if he expects an attack and tries to shield grab, grab him instead since your grab range is farther. When you can attack shdbair works wonders against wolf. Trust me Toon Link ***** wolf so it's just getting in tune with how he works.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Trust me Toon Link ***** wolf so it's just getting in tune with how he works.
Objection! Kitty is actually a very good match-up for Toon Link, considering that it's very hard to approach, and that your arrows aren't faster than his laser. The strategy you should use really depends on just how campy your Wolf is. If they are content to sit in a corner and shoot you with lasers, just stand still and wait until you're gradually pushed back out of his range, where you can hit him with a nice arrow. The boomerang is also a nice way to approach, as it travels slow enough that it's hard to get a good time on the reflector, yet be able to shield an direct attack.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
lol, stupidest ? ever, just stand there and your hylian shield makes you invincible.

QUIVO

Smash Master
What I do is jump and throw a boomerang at them. They'll then shield, and then as you land shoot an arrow. After they powershiled the boomerang, they usually let it down, so the arrow will most likely hit. Follow up if you can.

If they try using the reflector, just throw whatever and let it hit, and then follow up with a nair or bair. Only if you're close enough though.

Once you get in close, they usually like to fsmash or dsmash, so just shield it and nair out of the shield.

Really watch out for the fsmash since its range is good. Dsmash is tricky too if you're behind. I sometimes get hit when trying to for a bair from behind.

Try not to use the usmash unless its for a kill. That's your fastest smash, so just mindgame them into getting hit.

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone keep saying, "JUST LET YOUR SHIELD TAKE THE HITZ!!!!11!11!" You canot win a match by just standing there, not to mention the fact that when the shield takes the hit you get pushed back so eventually you're gonna fall off the level and take a couple laser hits when you try to get back up.

Also, **** Wolf.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone keep saying, "JUST LET YOUR SHIELD TAKE THE HITZ!!!!11!11!" You canot win a match by just standing there, not to mention the fact that when the shield takes the hit you get pushed back so eventually you're gonna fall off the level and take a couple laser hits when you try to get back up.

Also, **** Wolf.
You can force him to attack you by just standing there, and the knockback to stage edge allows you to grab the edge, making you invincible again. from there you can either go under the stage or use a fast fall to draw a bomb and use the edge recovery to dodge lasers and toss it then get in close while he's stunned. I thought this was kinda obvious, but I guess not.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
I think a good strategy is to stay completely back from wolf, force him to go on the offensive, and smack him with boomerangs/bombs when he approaches. His pistol has limited range. If you don't choose that strategy with Kitty then simply put in effective rush, and drop bombs NEAR him, not on him and the large splash radius will hit him giving you a chance to break open a can of whoop-***
Just figure out how the canine approaches you and counteract it.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
f you don't choose that strategy with Kitty then simply put in effective rush, and drop bombs NEAR him, not on him and the large splash radius will hit him giving you a chance to break open a can of whoop-***
Just figure out how the canine approaches you and counteract it.
You referred to him as both a canine and kitty in the same post.

deletedmember said:
You canot win a match by just standing there, not to mention the fact that when the shield takes the hit you get pushed back so eventually you're gonna fall off the level and take a couple laser hits when you try to get back up.
That is if you let yourself get to the edge. The shield is good because it forces the Wolf to go on the offensive to hit you, which makes it slightly more difficult for him to get out his better attacks. Kitty's dash is really easy to dodge (as is his Usmash), and has a decent amount of frames in which you can hit back. Dash canceling with the Reflector also causes Kitty to slide forward a bit, giving you an opportunity to play mindgames, or attack from above (is the shield weaker there?).

soresu

Smash Rookie
You guys don't understand how patient a true camping wolf can be. HE WILL NEVER APPROACH YOU. You can stand there and take hits and get pushed back and he will move forward as this is happening so you get pushed off the stage.

Why does wolf have to approach you? His lasers out range your boomerang and bombs. Your arrows outrange his lasers, but he can shoot the lasers faster, not to mention he can actually shoot a laser and then use reflector to return the arrow you just fired if you are that far away.

All you guys seem to be telling me to force wolf to approach me, but the only time a wolf will approach me is if he becomes impatient. Wolf has the ranged advantage, therefore he is able to force YOU to approach HIM.

Which again brings me to my first question of the best way to approach. Thank you to some of you for telling me to try double bairs or throwing a boomerang as I approach. It seems to be working out ok, but still kind of predictable.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's predictable, but you have to mix it up. Honestly nairs are good approaches if you connect. Also when you approach, some wolves will either smash at you if you shield or roll on the other side. Predict what theyre going to do and if they roll punish with dsmash or something

A_man13

Smash Master
I can't think of too much to say; toon link is one of my mains but I never play at this level. Best advice would be using the smokescreen technique: bomb wolf, midair dodge if reflected, and follow up with a dair. The thing is that Wolf's reflecter has a little lag comming out of it (as with any move) so the player might be stupid enough to stop reflecting (Attack connects) switch to shield (repededly dair to weaken the shield) or roll (dair will push back if it misses, giving you room to work). But like QUIVO said, mix it up. Move will become predictable, staleness, and other things will hapen. And if nothing else give him a few aproaches, see what he does, and go from there.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Oh, what also works is just jump above them and throw a bomb down (if they're reflecting). They'll notice you're gonig to go above them, so they'll have their reflector down and try to get out of the way.

Da Illlest

Smash Cadet
Just jump in front of him and either grab or roll behind him and punish him. Mix it up , this is so simple. I play a camping wolf every day, and now that he cant always predict which i would do he pretty much stopped that. Or u can main luigi since hes so ill.

molander16

Smash Rookie
yeah, pretty simple, if you ask me. just stand there and let your hyrule shield do the work, and when you've concentrated and are ready, jump up, pick out a bomb, and neutral air throw it towards him. it'll force him to react, and you can even throw a boomerang after wards to cover a little more area. if the bomb/arrow connects, run up and RAR. if it doesn't, fall, use your hyrule shield again, and then try again. it's very frustrating, but you just have to be patient. there's no way a character that just sits there and uses neutral b over and over again should win.

Top Bottom