• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta Combo & Followup Thread! [WIP]

TheColorfulOrca

Smash Apprentice
I feel like BA Uair is a very underrated move right now. Have a few things to say about it that weren't mentionned in the Bayonetta guide (in the combo part at least).

- BA Uair can be used to juggle in the air at specific percent. For exemple, at around 20-30%, if you go for an Uair on an airborne opponent, you can get another one(Uair > Uair = 18%) but you won't get anything more that is true expect maybe an Up B. On the other hand, BA Uair can combo around those percent. Basically you can get a Bair follow up after BA Uair (26%). When Bair doesn't connect, you can still get a free ABK. Futhermore, running off stage with BA Uair knowing that it combos into Bair at low percent can be a nice edgeguarding tool, more knockback that BA Nair at least.

- BA Uair on landing has a weak hit that can combo into ABK at kill percent. Things like landing BA > ABK > Nair is possible. BA Uair combos into Fair at low percent. You only get the hit of Fair1 that combos less so you can't really have a true combo after that. I could see BA Uair > Fair1 ~> Fast Fall Utilt if the opponent doesn't airdodge or BA Uair > Fair1 ~> Crossunder Pivot Grab if he does.

- BA Uair on landing has another weird property if you hit with the close hit of the bullets after the weak hit. What happens is that the opponent goes out of hitstun and lands just right in front of you after the BA Uair. For that to happen, you have to get the timing right but it kinda happens randomly though. I don't if it works on the all cast. Anyway, just after that happens, you can follow up with a grab or attack. I don't know if you have frame advandage or not though so this might not be that helpful if that's not the case...
Thanks for this info! I definitely didn't know that it had this much utility. I will add these findings to the guide as soon as I can!

- When testing in training mode against a CPU Mario, I found that landing BA Uair true combos into ABK at all percents up to around 110%, though some forward momentum is required at higher percents (starting around 80%). I found it easiest to connect from around 40% - 70%, so landing BA Uair is most useful at mid percents, in my opinion. It does also combo into Fair1 at low percents, but the timing is very strict, and forward momentum is required. Most of the time ABK is the better followup, anyways. Other than that, I wasn't able to find any more followups from landing BA Uair.

- When testing in training mode against a CPU Mario, I had difficulty following up with anything after an aerial BA Uair at the specified percent range. If you land an Uair on an aerial opponent at that percent range, it true combos both into itself and into UpB, which has good combo potential. Perhaps I was testing it incorrectly, but in my opinion, regular Uair is better than BA Uair for aerial combos. I use BA Uair to hit opponents who airdodge through the regular Uair to continue my juggle.

- I also ran into the bug where the opponents takes less knockback from a landing BA Uair. I have no idea how it's caused, and I had trouble finding good followups off it because if it's infrequency. In theory, the best followups would be DTilt and WT, in my opinion. I can only say to make the most of it when it does happen.

Again, thanks for the info!

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
- When testing in training mode against a CPU Mario, I had difficulty following up with anything after an aerial BA Uair at the specified percent range. If you land an Uair on an aerial opponent at that percent range, it true combos both into itself and into UpB, which has good combo potential. Perhaps I was testing it incorrectly, but in my opinion, regular Uair is better than BA Uair for aerial combos. I use BA Uair to hit opponents who airdodge through the regular Uair to continue my juggle.
Fair enough. I could upload a video about what i meant if you want it to. Basically it's just turnaround BA Uair (2 hits) > Bair. It's tight but it's more damage than Uair > Uair > Up b. Situational but worth mentioning. But yeah, Simple Uairs chain is more useful against character struggling to land anyway.

Also, BA Uair combo easier when getting up of the ledge (let go of ledge then jump). BA Uair > SH Fair is a thing for example.

Edit: I managed to get Nair and a RAR Bair pretty consistantly after BA Uair. Kinda hard to pull of without forward momentum. Fsmash is tight but works at low percent. Usmash is really anecdotal and shouldn't work with DI away.

Last edited:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I prefer uair->bair strings more than uair->uair->WTw, since a lot of people DI away from being able to be hit by WTw, and bair combs into ABK.

smashedu

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashEDU
Flamegeyser can you post a quick link, or is it unallowed?

Last edited:

smashedu

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashEDU
Not quite yet, but God we're trying. Come on over to the Bayo Discord and we'll show yah the ropes as best we can if yah need.
which thread exactly? if you can link it. i searched but there are too many bayo threads..

Edit:
Was anyone else part of the discord? I think i found it myself but it seems in order to post in the discord you have to be given permissions to do so, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

smashedu

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashEDU
Sorry about the double post, i tried to correct this with an edit, but it seems that i am not smart enough to figure out how to delete mine own post.
My apologies.

Last edited:

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
How about
Falling back hit of upair>up tilt>Backair falling up air>Back air(weak hit)>Wt>Into stuff.
And at the legde (situational)
Falling back hit of upair>uptilt>Backair>backair>into stuff.
I use it on chars with big hurt boxes or are heavy.

Last edited:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
How about
Falling back hit of upair>up tilt>Backair falling up air>Back air(weak hit)>Wt>Into stuff.
And at the legde (situational)
Falling back hit of upair>uptilt>Backair>backair>into stuff.
I use it on chars with big hurt boxes or are heavy.
Well it's certainly an interesting idea, but it's sorta needlessly complicated. Falling uair is hard to hit in and of itself, and the utilt can be DI'd IIRC, and won't even work at lower %s. That said, it is one of the better things you can do out of landing uair, I tend to go for bair stuff (which can be better or worse depending on percent) but keep on thinking creatively like that.

EDIT FOR DOUBLE POST:
Here's one I (partially) got from Pink Fresh. It's not true at low%s (>20%), but can frame trap into itself and works on characters with the right fallspeed and slow enough airdodges. It's the best non-kill combo (even though it can kill) that I go for at low%s.

HSK>utilt (1 or 2 depending on fallspeed)>fh sour bair>ff uair>sh (or fh) uair>dj bair>ABK>WTw>ABK>uair/bair
The WTw isn't neccesary, but it'll catch DI towards the endpoint of the first ABK and helps the combo kill if it all connects. It works best on Falcon, Corrin, Cloud, and Link, and worst on Luigi, Jiggs, and Yoshi, and it does like 88% or so. If the first bair is airdodged, theoretically the uair should still land, but if that misses then the combo is bunk.

Last edited:

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/zK49QGzmCBk
I was scrolling through youtube and found someone use dabk in a mix up at 0:29.
Then I thought seeing that how they upaired while moving away to position themselves to where hitting with abk would let dabk hit somewhat in front dk so if they DI there would still be an opportunity to follow up with fair or Wt.
Just wanted to share.
ヾ( ' - '*)

Last edited:
Top Bottom