• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta, Cloud, Corrin...and that's it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGimpyx

Smash Rookie
Maybe this is just a nit pick, but every time I go online or to a tournament these days, 90% of people play with just Bayonetta, Cloud or Corrin. Now, I get it. They're all fantastic characters. But, is it just me or does it seem that some of the fun gets sucked out of the game when you keep having to fight the same three characters over and over again?

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
The recent Bayo nerf should lower the frequency with which she appears. But I'm pretty sure you are going to continue to see a ton of Cloud. He is a top tier character that can be played fairly effectively with minimal practice. You are right though they show up a lot and that'll wear off a little bit because they are still really new characters. But I'm pretty sure it is going to be Cloud City in the forseeable future. I don't anticipate another patch at all at this point and even if there was one I doubt it would significantly impact Cloud like the way Bayo was just nerfed. Just get ready to constantly be fighting and trying to prevent Cloud from charging his Limit Break, especially in doubles.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I honestly don't see those three much online. Cloud more than the others though.

Lately I've seen a bunch of Jigglypuff, Sonic and Shulk. I'm wondering if I should be blaming zero for Shulk

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see those three much online. Cloud more than the others though.

Lately I've seen a bunch of Jigglypuff, Sonic and Shulk. I'm wondering if I should be blaming zero for Shulk
I've also been running into quite a few Shulks lately when I'm use to only running into once every blue moon or something. I thought it was just me jinxing myself after stating how I wanted to run into more Shulk players lol.

As far as the three above, even before the patch, I haven't been running into Bayonetta players as frequently as when she first came out, now I can play for a few hours and not ever run into a single one. Corrin is in the same boat, but I do see him more than I do with Bayonetta, but I can count on one hand the number of Corrin's I could come across in a week. Cloud on the other hand, he's the one constant I see on FG.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Well, think of it this way... At least you'll learn the Match Ups and learn how to better deal with those characters.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time it is. I agree it's extremely annoying to go against the same character over and over and over and over and over and over and over... However it gives you the perks and benefits of learning how to specifically deal with them depending on the characters you use. Besides, that's how For Glory rolls sadly enough. No variety nor creativity more or less.

I remember when I was seeing Clouds constantly when he was released, and the same can be said for Corrin and Bayonetta. Everyone was excited for them and wanted to test them out. Even I did that (I made sure to, ya know... At least practice a little first with them before going onto For Glory) so that is to be expected. Now that a few months have gone by I hardly see Bayonettas or Corrins. Of course I still get them, but the encounter rate in which I see them has died down (Thank goodness, as I dislike fighting Corrin).

I'm still seeing a ton of Clouds though, but other than that I also constantly see Ness/Lucas, Link, Captain Falcon, Samus, and Falco. I'm also starting to notice that I'm seeing Robins on For Glory all of the sudden too whereas I never encountered them before, so...

I'veChosenMyFate!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4512-6203
After the Bayonetta nerfs, I have never seen her on FG. Though I see tons of Clouds, and a reasonable amount of Corrin.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
After Bayo was nerfed (Thank god) I havent seen her at all in FG anymore. I barely see her in my local tourneys as well and when I do they're always out before top 16 in a tournament with only around 40 people. I have seen a large number of Corrins and Clouds but at the same time ZSS and Sheik are still always lurking around. I honestly dont mind seeing the spam of Clouds and Corrins only because I've played them enough to know exactly what works and doesnt work and believe me, they do some uhh, "Questionable" things... Also Corrins love spamming their Stuns so my Falco is glad reflecting it back and trying to follow up with a B-Air or D-Air for a more satisfying KO.

wingedwill

Smash Rookie
I mean, you're not wrong.

Bayonetta is an excellent character, but the nerfs really reduced the chances you'll run into her (Especially her counter). She's not too bad, but we've got even better Bayonettas than ever, which is all I could ask for. Well, there are still counter spammers but there's no such thing as a perfect world.

Corrin's traits just exemplify awesome. To be fair, your can play as Marth, but Corrin's a swordsman AND a dragon. How do you get better than that? Long reaching moves, paralyzing projectile, there's literally no sense as to why you shouldn't play him/ her. Plus, Corrin has amazing tools that can shoot them to tournaments. Its very satisfying to just play as Corrin.

Cloud is popular, has a big dumb sword and can do a LOT since he has so many options. He's a versatile swordsman that has an answer to a lot of questions to his ganeplay, and not to mention he's CLOUD from Final Fantasy. That's unreal, and his name echo's the hearts of many gamers. He's great, and easy to play.

Plus, a major factor is that they're all DLC. Everyone's playing them, and they're really unique and have reasons to play as them, especially compared to their other DLC counterparts and already included smash counterparts.
They lived up to their hype as well, with Robin's runspeed turning away a lot of players, Roy was over hyped as his fundamentals were overlooked, even Marth himself since everyone expects him to be top tier, in which that opinion changed dramatically among other players.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Yep, Cloud is everywhere online. Every 3rd player or so online is a Cloud.

Last edited:

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Encountering other Corrin mains on For Glory is pretty rare for me, actually. I do encounter Cloud a ton, though. I also used to find Bayonetta a ton, but after the nerfs, I haven't encountered a Bayonetta on For Glory. thanks lord sakurai

I encounter a lot of Links, Falcons and Lucinas, myself.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Cloud's the only DLC character I've seen much of past the first week. Mewtwo's a rather distant second, if only because he's the oldest, and all the other DLC characters I rarely see any of. Lucas who I've only seen twice not counting the guys that cycle through all the DLC characters.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I don't come across many Bayonettas after the nerf, but the ones that I do come across are extremely good players. Corrin and Cloud I come across more often, but it's understandable as to why most people want to play the DLC characters. They did fork out the extra money to buy them after all. Though with Bayonetta, it's pretty much the same boat as Greninja players. They are either really good or really terrible. No middle ground whatsoever.

Also, I happen to see Corrin all of the time, every day because Corrin is my tertiary main, behind Robin and Little Mac. :p

I come across Ness, Dedede, and Captain Falcon players more than anything. Samus not too far behind that. It's pretty much gotten to the point where I'm fighting a player, and I say that I see "Standard For Glory Ness" or whatever character I happen to see against any of the four mentioned. I come across a lot of them, and they almost all play the same way.

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
It's because they all have a gimmick that'll make you want to buy them. If they were normal or below average, nobody would bother buying them, so they had to make them appealing. The DLC exclusive (ones that havent appeared in any previous titles) characters stick out like a sore thumb compared to the default list, in a way.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I've been seeing a lot of Captain Falcon online

I need to get off of For Glory.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I've seen more Clouds and Corrins than Bayonettas.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I've seen more Clouds and Corrins than Bayonettas.
A lot of people jumped ship when Bayo got nerfed. Now she's rarely seen. In all honesty, I think it was better for her in the long run, as Bayonetta players that I come across in FG now are some damn good players and actually give me a challenge.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
A lot of people jumped ship when Bayo got nerfed. Now she's rarely seen. In all honesty, I think it was better for her in the long run, as Bayonetta players that I come across in FG now are some damn good players and actually give me a challenge.
Hooray for top tier nerfs!

Elray

Smash Rookie
I don't see Corrin on FG as much as I used to, however Cloud is still quite popular. Most Bayo players now are the ones that actually dedicate themselves to a character instead of just playing her because she's the best but there are still some Witch Time spammers that haven't gotten the memo yet)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's because they all have a gimmick that'll make you want to buy them. If they were normal or below average, nobody would bother buying them, so they had to make them appealing. The DLC exclusive (ones that havent appeared in any previous titles) characters stick out like a sore thumb compared to the default list, in a way.
Yaknow, besides Roy who's garbage. :p And Lucas who's only okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom