• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

battle styles and how to beat them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomnaga1

Smash Cadet
I will list the only 4 battle styles:

clever:
they tend to use mindgames and doge atacks
the best way to beat them is to distract them

agressive:
they tend to use all out phisical atacks and sometimes die because of it
the best way to beat them is to use defenseive tactics

patient:
they tend to stake out one spot and keep everyone away from it with both phisical and ranged atacks
the best way to beat them is to use defenseive ranged atacks

sniper:
they are a lot like patent ones exept they mostly use ranged atacks
the best way to beat them is to get in so close that they can't use their ranged atacks and smash like crazy

final words:
on ocasion you might find someone who is 2 or 3 of these but if you judge yourself as all 4 than I'm not sure hw you judge yourself:):laugh::bee:;):p:lick::chuckle:

Stev

Smash Ace
I disagree about aggressive. I think the best way to beat them is to out-aggress them. Then they start to break down. If you can't do that, then be patient, and make sure you utilize your oportunities. You're essentially saying the best way to beat an aggressive player is to be defensive, and the best way to beat a defensive player is to be aggressive. I only agree with the 2nd one. How do you intend to distract a "clever" player. Yell at them? Insult their mom? Claim you're having sex with his sister? Also, you're saying that the best way to fight a patient player is to damage him and then stall. This isn't brawl. As you can see with all the top pros, aggression is the best approach. I understand that this is hard to do with some characters (ie samus). But if you're top tier, be aggressive. If you're Doc, possibly being patient works best. I feel like this is more dependent on what character than who you are.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Hm... so what's the last national tourney you placed in?

I think advice from a reliable source would be a lot more helpful.

Still, thanks for contributing.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I disagree about aggressive. I think the best way to beat them is to out-aggress them. Then they start to break down. If you can't do that, then be patient, and make sure you utilize your oportunities. You're essentially saying the best way to beat an aggressive player is to be defensive, and the best way to beat a defensive player is to be aggressive. I only agree with the 2nd one. How do you intend to distract a "clever" player. Yell at them? Insult their mom? Claim you're having sex with his sister? Also, you're saying that the best way to fight a patient player is to damage him and then stall. This isn't brawl. As you can see with all the top pros, aggression is the best approach. I understand that this is hard to do with some characters (ie samus). But if you're top tier, be aggressive. If you're Doc, possibly being patient works best. I feel like this is more dependent on what character than who you are.

I think you're heavily mistaken. Many "top pros" and "top tier" characters have very different styles, I've seen Chinesah(fox) 4stock Drephen(sheik) in a crew battle (pound 3) by playing campy and then taking a stock when drephen slipped up. Likewise, I've seen drephen 4 stock me by running around doing nothing, then getting one grab and taking a stock with it. I think you're mistaking aggression with controlling momentum.

At Flames of Bowser 4(or 3) I saw Ignatius (peach) against JoeBushman111(ganon), I honestly believe that joe bushman would have won the set, except Iggy took him to Jungle Japes and turnip camped the **** out of him. I bring this example up because the match went down to the last minute, pros in melee do use the timer as a means to win a match, it's not something that just appeared in brawl.

Isai: "Don't get hit." You can learn A LOT from those three words.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
you're on an internet forum

dont expect half as many compliments as insults

Stev

Smash Ace
I think you're heavily mistaken. Many "top pros" and "top tier" characters have very different styles, I've seen Chinesah(fox) 4stock Drephen(sheik) in a crew battle (pound 3) by playing campy and then taking a stock when drephen slipped up. Likewise, I've seen drephen 4 stock me by running around doing nothing, then getting one grab and taking a stock with it. I think you're mistaking aggression with controlling momentum.

At Flames of Bowser 4(or 3) I saw Ignatius (peach) against JoeBushman111(ganon), I honestly believe that joe bushman would have won the set, except Iggy took him to Jungle Japes and turnip camped the **** out of him. I bring this example up because the match went down to the last minute, pros in melee do use the timer as a means to win a match, it's not something that just appeared in brawl.

Isai: "Don't get hit." You can learn A LOT from those three words.
I don't think that campy style would work consistantly. I haven't seen the video, and maybe it worked well, but i think for the most part, those refer more to character matchups than people matchups. E.G. it's better for fox to be campy against jiggly puff to rack up laser damage. There's also characters who can't be campy, ie marth and jiggs, because there are no projectiles.

The turnips take advantage of the water underneath the stage, so that example is stage specific. Would a fox do the same thing with lasers? No.

If you're talking to me about he Isai quote, what does being campy have to do with it. You can be aggressive as long as you don't get hit. If you're not, then yes, it is good advice.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You can camp without a projectile, look at the marth vs ganon match up, since both characters have long range it becomes a spacing battle. Whoever takes the first stock is at an advantage because they can then camp and force the other person to advance on them, then use their range to protect themselves.

Look at any match with Vidjo in it, camping can work consistently. I'm only making a point on camping because you said that from watching top pros you can tell playing aggressively is the best approach, and I think you're mistaken because many pros camp, many don't. It depends on their style.

And I brought up the JJ as an example of using the timer, you seemed to think it was only possible in brawl, but it's just a hell of a lot easier in brawl.

I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Camping ability depends on the match up and in some match ups it's impossible for one character to camp. It still takes the player to chose to camp instead of choosing to approach. You can't just bring up fox as the anti-camp argument though, not everyone plays fox.

Thats where I got the idea, and everyone can accedentaly be clumsy and he forgot ranged
If that's the case you pretty much just plagiarized his work and failed hard.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok this thread is just a flame fest and a lot of people who aren't quite sure what they're talking about ^_^

*ferocious tiger close*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom