• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Wario Combos (sticky please??)

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
So just to help newer Wario players, I think that we should list some useful combos that Wario has here. They don't have to be real combos (inescapable), as long as they are strung together and work well then it's fine. Please post combos that you like or ones that work well here.

Bite Game:
Dair - Bite Your bread and butter. This is a good approach. If your opponent shields the dair, it not only takes a healthy chunk out of their shield but they also get bitten right after. I think this may be a true combo at low percentages if the dair connects.
Dair - Bite - Boost Smash One of two follow-ups to the above combo. Works really well and is one of my favorites. if the boost smash connects then you are in good position to immediately let loose a fully charged waft or follow up with some aerials.
Dair - Bite - Bike Not as good as the above option since you cannot follow up immediately, and it is also somewhat situational since you can't use this if you have your bike somewhere else on the stage. Slightly easier to perform than the above option, however.
Uair - Bite Works well on heavies and medium heavies at low percentages.
Uair - Bite - Boost Smash Can follow this up with a boost smash to do a healthy amount of damage at the beginning of a match.
Uair - Bite - Bike Another follow up to the Uair-Bite combo. Not as useful as the above combo and more situational.
Fair - Bite Hit with the ending part of the fair (has less knockback).
Bite - Jump - Bite Works if your opponent DI's toward you after getting out of the first bite (many people do).
Usmash - Bite Works nicely at low percentages.

Grab Game
Dthrow - Fsmash Works well, only don't use it too much or it gets predictable.
Dthrow - Ftilt Turn around and ftilt right after a dthrow to mix it up a bit.
Dthrow - Dair Right after a Dair follow your opponent with a Dair.
Dthrow - Bike/Boost Smash Pretty self-explanatory just chase with Bike or Boost Smash after a dthrow.
Dthrow - Dthrow Turn around quickly after a Dthrow and grab again. This is not a true chaingrab. However, it can easily work a couple times on opponents that aren't expecting it. Bigger characters have a harder time getting out.
Dair - Shieldgrab Alternative to Dair - Bite. Pretty much the same concept.
Uthrow - Waft Can be avoided pretty easily but is good occasionally.
Usmash - Grab Works best at lower percentages.

Aerial Combos
Dair - Dair - Dair - Dair - ... Lol Dair is too good am i rite? This actually works on bigger characters that can't stop you from doing this. If they shield it you can go into a Bite or you can just keep pressuring their shield into it breaks with SH Dairs.
Fair - Fair Works well at low percentages if you hit with the ending part of Fair (has less knockback).
Fair - Nair Works at low percentages. At high percentages it is avoidable but it is a really good way to edgeguard.
Dair - Uair Works better on heavy characters. Dair knocks them up somewhat so you can follow up with a Uair.
Full Jump Dair - Fast Fall Uair - Full Jump Dair To make fastfalling the Uair easier, press down on the control stick after the peak of your jump and use the C-stick to perform the Uair. After this combo you can follow with pretty much any other aerial.

Epic but Situational Combos
Dthrow into bouncing bike wheel - Full Waft When you have a fully charged waft, break your bike and take one of the wheels. Throw it downwards, then walk forward, grab your opponent, and use dthrow. Since they go behind you, they should get hit by the bouncing wheel. Use the hitstun to pull off a full waft.
Boost Smash - Full Waft - Uair/UpB A boost smash at lower percentages sets the opponent up nicely for a full waft. If they survive you can go for the vertical KO with a Uair if they're close to you or Up-B if they're out of Uair range.

Other Combos
Jab jab - Uair Obvious. Since the second jab hits upward you can follow up with a uair. Gets predictable after a while though so mix it up.
Nair - Jab jab - Uair Works pretty well. Since the Nair is like a sex kick in that it has less damage/knockback the longer it stays out. This allows you to follow up easily with jabs after the Nair. Uair is a follow-up option.
Dair - Fsmash Works only if the last hit of the Dair doesn't connect (the last hit is the one with the knockback.) However at low percentages all of the Dair can hit and you can still get the fsmash off.
Dair - Jab jab ^^^
Weak Boost Smash - Jab jab Often if you misjudge the distance of your Boost Smash you still hit your opponent, but not with the full power of the Usmash. If they get out before the final hit with the knockback, you can turn around and possibly jab them. Lower percentages work better.
Weak Boost Smash - Ftilt Same idea as above but with ftilt obviously.
Usmash - Utilt Pretty self explanatory.
Usmash - Usmash Easily escapable but it can work at low percentages.
Usmash - Uair Low percentages, self explanatory.
Dash attack - Upsmash Like a boost smash except the hitbox on the dash attack actually comes out and it leads right into the upsmash.

Say some combos that you like and i'll edit them into this post.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Dair - Fsmash. This works if the last hit of Dair doesn't connect as only the last hit has significant knockback.
Dair - Jabs - same principle as Dair Fsmash

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Fair-Nair=really only works at low percentages. The opponent usually needs a little damage so that you don't go through with the fair, but when you get enough knockback, you can do a nair and retreat thanks to Wario's air mobility.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I've been incorporating uair-bite at very low percents against mid-heavies and heavies. Boost smash out makes it a solid amount of damage at the beginning of a match-stock.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dair to Dair to yet another Dair: Works well on the bigger characters that don't have a good combo stopper. Can chain multiple ones depending on what they do.

Dair to Shield Grab: At low% it works well. Also useful for following up on the characters that have a combo breaker, cause you can shield their aerial and counter with a grab.

Upthrow to Waft: It actually registers as a combo in training mode. DI avoids it though and I'm not entirely sure on how it works.

Fair to Fair: Works better if you hit with the ending of the first Fair instead of when it first comes out.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
All of them have been edited into the first post. We could make this a huge compilation of all useful Wario combos :p

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
dair-upair-after the opponent starts taking the damage, the down air will knock them more upwards, and you can chase and follow up with a up air, works better on the heavier characters.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I have a ton of combos in mind that are pretty much always garunteed, but they aren't too simple to pull off compared to these Dair combos. If you would still like me to list some let me know.

Heres one:

Idle stance Occasionally he will scratch his ***, amazing + insta win.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
What do you mean bouncing wheel? The wheel was already bouncing? Or you threw it down as your opponent tried to approach you after the dthrow, and then they got hit? Sounds epic.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I bounced the wheel, grabbed my opponent, threw him down (he goes behind me), wheel hit him, I shorthop farted during the hitstun... finished it off later w/ a fastfall up air.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
That actually sounds usable, difficult to set-up and situational but a sick combo if you have all the parts of the equation.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
You could probably put dthrow-bike up there too under Grab Game, it's situational but interesting.

Also, fair-bite, works on the same principle as fair-fair.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about the last two combos I put up there under Other Combos? Have you ever done anything like that? I've done stuff like that a few times, kinda nifty.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
the dair to the upair is one of the harder ones to pull off, I would leave up there though since it can be done, i have done it a few times...you gotta do some chasing though, but it is still a good combo if you can pull it off.

However, fair into upair actually works much better then the dair to upair, and it works as a good ledgeguard to, and the upair can kill at higher percentages if you can leave the forward extended to reduce the knockback, or able to chase them with the second jump and upair.

This needs to be stickied, im thinking of as many combos as possible to keep the thread fresh and new

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, it was pretty situational, and I'll admit I got lucky, but was still badass b/c I made it up on the fly.

know one time I had a bite > boost smash > up air > up air > fsmash> bite (on double jump) > fair > footstool (accidental, I was going in for a neutral air) on a Fox... it was pretty sick.

You're missing some pretty good/basic ones too.

Jab > Shieldgrab
Jab > Ftilt
Jab > Fsmash

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about the last two combos I put up there under Other Combos? Have you ever done anything like that? I've done stuff like that a few times, kinda nifty.
It's conceptually interesting and I could see it working well when the opponent's not expecting it, Sans. Also, overshooting the Boost Smash after a couple weak ones would keep them on their toes and confuse their DI a bit.

bassem6

Smash Lord
^LOL

I have one for the bite combos section(though its situational). This works especially well at low percents but it can also work at high percents.

First bite, then right when your opponent jumps out, jump up and bite again. This can really catch those aggressive players off guard but it only works if your opponent jump toward you after he/she escapes the first bite(which quite a few people do).

I even remember getting someone with 3 of these chain bites in a row before!

so Bite>quick jump>Bite(>quick jump again>bite again)

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Usmash chomp
Usmash grab
Usmash utilt
Usmash > Usmash (DI can sometimes ruin this.)
Uair> chomp
Uair> grab
Uair> Usmash (DIable)

These usually only work under 10% though, lol.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Eh, you're not gonna be able to Up Air or Up B after the wheel > full waft, b/c you're gonna hit them w/ the bottom of the waft, not the top... it's purely for damage.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
don't forget the fair into the upair...as a ledgeguard, I have gotten many kills with that combo...
and now that someone has mentioned it, you should rate the combos on how difficult it is to escape them.

FREZ

Smash Apprentice
Down tilt> Fsmash
Down tilt>Ftilt
Down tilt>Bite
Down tilt>Grab
Fair>dash attack
Dash attack>Usmash(Dash-cancel Up smash)

Aiko

Smash Champion
some more i've done:

Up throw - waft: Requires incorrect DI by opponent.
Full waft to uair: This requires you to be underneath the opponent when you release waft.

Bike combos!

This requires you to hit the opponent, who is on the ground, with your moving bike and then jump off your bike. At correct percentages they will be where you jump off and you can follow up with any of the following:

Fair
Uair
Dair
Nair
Bair
Waft
Bite

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
don't forget the fair into the upair...as a ledgeguard, I have gotten many kills with that combo...
and now that someone has mentioned it, you should rate the combos on how difficult it is to escape them.
I will work on that when I have time.

Down tilt> Fsmash
Down tilt>Ftilt
Down tilt>Bite
Down tilt>Grab
Fair>dash attack
Dash attack>Usmash(Dash-cancel Up smash)
I'm not sure what you mean by the last one. Like a flubbed boost smash so that the dash attack's hitbox actually comes out? And wouldn't you want to Dtilt>Shieldgrab instead?

Aiko, I already have Uthrow - Waft up there. The bike combos I don't find especially efficient because it is pretty hard to jump off your bike and get right up there next to your opponent with Wario's terrible range and hit them with an aerial.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
I thought most people knew about this by now. It is a technique several characters can use where you slide across the ground very quickly (a considerable distance if done right) while using your upsmash. Snake is most notorious for this, but other characters that can use it include: Sheik, Link, Falco, Wario, and there are others I'm sure. It is done by running, perssing the C-stick down then quickly pressing Up A + Z. You can also do it by setting L or R to attack (my prefered method). Run, C-stick down, Up R.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Sans, the other one he was talking about with dash attack - usmash is the one where you actually hit the dash attack and immediately cancel it into usmash. Some guy tried to name it after himself as the DLX hit cancel or whatever. Falco and Snake can do it too.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I thought most people knew about this by now. It is a technique several characters can use where you slide across the ground very quickly (a considerable distance if done right) while using your upsmash. Snake is most notorious for this, but other characters that can use it include: Sheik, Link, Falco, Wario, and there are others I'm sure. It is done by running, perssing the C-stick down then quickly pressing Up A + Z. You can also do it by setting L or R to attack (my prefered method). Run, C-stick down, Up R.
Oh.

I'm used to doing it with Snake, but didn't realize it was called a boost smash.

With snake, I can usually just use dash attack (dash +A) and then smash up and hit A to do his (contact or not)...does Wario's have enough of a time frame for that?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I need help with Dsmash, it seem to me that...you can't do much with this smash, but do you guys got any reliable Dsmash combos?

P.S. and oh I refer up Z.
Any time you could combo into a Fsmash you could probably combo into a Dsmash... it has a really fast start up. The only time I'd recommend it though is if you and the opponent are near an edge (and/or your fsmash is really diminished) (with him closer to the edge than you, since dsmash sends at a downward angle) or just for mindgames.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Can you make a section that lists, true unecscapable combos?
Wario's only completely inescapable combo, is to do a close to the ground N-air, then Wario can proceed to jab. I don't remember which percent it works from.

From a close to ground U-air, Wario can follow with a couple things. The opponent won't be able to airdodge, but they can DI.

Eliasopataso

Smash Rookie
I like:
Dthrow->Nair->Dtilt->maybe SH Bite

I haven't tried it on small characters but I think it works well enough for me on large characters at low percents.

On a side note, you can mix up almost anything with Wario. Most of his attacks can be followed up with another attack since he doesn't rely on powerful single strikes.

Top Bottom