• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic do's and donts of Pichu?

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Ok so my GF doesn't have a lot of skill at smash on top of the fact that Pichu is the only character she wants to play as. I want to show her a thing or two about how to play as Pichu but I know very little about the little guy being a Link main and all...

I don't need much, just pretty much what should be used and what shouldn't with him. Even things like Shffling is out of her league right now if you want to know what I'm working with...

Can you guys help me out?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Break up with your gf.
Then, give me her #
I'll show her the in-and-outs of Pichu ;^D

Gea

Smash Master
Emphasis on "in and out" and also how you are a loser.

But seriously, no one can help her learn move choice until she gets down some basic tech skill, sorry.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Even though it may mess with your combos, you could always play with handicaps on until she improves with her Pichu skills

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Break up with your gf.
Then, give me her #
I'll show her the in-and-outs of Pichu ;^D

Haha...even though I definitly said do's and dont's :D

Emphasis on "in and out" and also how you are a loser.

But seriously, no one can help her learn move choice until she gets down some basic tech skill, sorry.
I'm not trying to make her pro or anything, I just want to show her something that works so she stops trying to thunder everything in sight...

LOL

You said "right now" twice in one sentence.

*skips away whistling*
Right right.... sorry sorry :D

Even though it may mess with your combos, you could always play with handicaps on until she improves with her Pichu skills
If she'd go for it...

Guess you'd just rather go after my lame 3AM typing skills and try and get in her pants than help....

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Well even without the shffl Pichu's Neutral aerial is pretty solid, and doesn't have too much lag. A good finishing move with Pichu is the up-smash, it can kill most characters at about 100%, and since this can be used out of a shield, it is pretty useful. Even if they aren't knocked off the top of the screen, often times thunder can finish them off, if used after the up-smash. Also Pichu's uair can sometimes combo pretty nicely. Is there anything in particular (i.e. defense, offense, recovery) that she needs strategies for?

Smash Master
Forward Smash a lot. It's strrong, it eats shields, and it murders spot dodgers.

I'm no Pichu pro either, but that's what I do when use him, and it works. Just hope they don't smash DI.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Well even without the shffl Pichu's Neutral aerial is pretty solid, and doesn't have too much lag. A good finishing move with Pichu is the up-smash, it can kill most characters at about 100%, and since this can be used out of a shield, it is pretty useful. Even if they aren't knocked off the top of the screen, often times thunder can finish them off, if used after the up-smash. Also Pichu's uair can sometimes combo pretty nicely. Is there anything in particular (i.e. defense, offense, recovery) that she needs strategies for?
Well needless to say, she needs a recovery strategy, mainly on FD since that's her favorite stage to play one for some reason.

And I'd like to see her play more defensivly, kinda just wait for the right moment to spring something, at least for now....

one question though, I have shown her that dthrow can lead to a usmash under most circumstances (since DI isn't really a factor with the kind of people she plays). Does that work?

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
A pretty sweet recovery strategy to use on FD that is not to difficult, is use the Up-B towards the stage (so Pichu is up against it) then for the second half, go up and Pichu will hug the stage and sweetspot the edge. This is my favorite way to recover on FD.

For throws, the d-throw to up-smash does work if they don't DI or tech. If they tech, and aren't to floaty, up-throw to upsmash may be a viable choice also.

Also, Pichu is faster than most characters so defensive play can work pretty well, sometimes just playing evasively until they use a move with lots of lag is a good strategy. Nair may be the best punisher since it has such little lag, so Pich can either choose to continue attacking, or flee.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Wow I thought the recovery would pull a sheik and not reach the edge... thanks :D

Since she's mainly going to be playing my Link, a falco and mabye Pikachu I don't think floaty will be a problem.

ok so a lot of Nairs, generally go for usmash after a dthrow (follow that up with a thunder?), and just wait for an opportunity to attack, and try for fsmash a lot as well?... pretty simple... that will work for now...

Thanks L Cancel for the help...

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Oh and one more thing, the f-smash is a really good edge-guard (maybe not as good against link) but very good against a falco or a fox. The f-smash's most powerful hit is at the end, so it is okay to do it early (before they reach the ledge) because then they are less likely to DI out of it before the most powerful portion of it.

No problem, I was happy to help. =]

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Uair has deceptive priority from what I've experienced. Not to mention from what I experienced, it leads right into a Dair or Nair.

Skyson

Smash Ace
If she doesn't want to memorize combos, lots of up-smash and down-smash, lots of aerials, and when they're coming back, f-smash ahoy. Toss in some B, and she's good to go. <_<

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
pichu is my best character and pikachu is my worst.

dont use ur f air or ur d air and when you grab somebody don't press a. don't use ur b attack other than that ur pretty good to go

kry

Smash Rookie
Wow. Half of this thread is useful antipichu spam crap wutever.
The girl wants to play pichu. Let her.

You think she's gonna do better with fox or falco? what about sheik or marth? OMG broken tip OMG waveshine OMG uber up smash.

Don't kid yourself.

Pichu isn't be all means bad. and you dont need to SHUFFL to win. Sure, he's bad against any character, but skill > tier list.

Anyhow, let your girlfriend know

DownB is thunder :)
B is more electricity
Fsmash has funny results
Upsmash is getting smacked by a tiny head resulting in a...
Dsmash is cute and confuses people.
Nair is quite good
backthrow is quite good too

Pichu has TWO taunts
and when he walks he's silly too.

After that? let her do what she wants. she'll get good eventually.

My girlfriends peach can 3 stock my friend from duke... I never told her how to play lol. just what the moves did :) and she can chaingrab and di by instinct :)

Top Bottom