• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Dash-dance BPM limits (with metronomes/song examples)

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
*** UPDATE: April 2019 ***

While testing Peach's dash dance BPM, D DocX confirmed that the old calculations from June 2015 were inaccurate. They do not account for an extra frame spent in the smash turn animation. From his Peach R/D Post:

TLDR; I synced Peach's full-length dash dance with BPM (playlist below). I have found Peach's frame-perfect full-length dash dance to be 225 BPM. I have found 230 / 115 BPM to be a useful speed to practice dash dancing, only faster than the maximum by 1/3 frame per dash. Playlist at bottom of post.

According to my calculations with the help of @Vestboy_Myst and his post, I have determined a frame-perfect full-length dash dance would result in a rhythm of 225 BPM

Interval = Dash Frames + Turn Frame - Frame for Input
Interval = 16 + 1 - 1
Interval = 16

BPM = Frames per Minute / Dash Interval
BPM = 3600 / 16
BPM = 225

From what I have been able to achieve, Peach's full length dash dance syncs up very well songs at 115.0 BPM. This translates close to the theoretical full-length rhythm (225 / 112.5 BPM), only faster by 1/3 of a frame per dash input. I have found this to be just enough to account for human errors if you are trying to dash dance with a metronome or songs
Because of this, the old BPM values were inflated. The corrected values are as follows:

Mewtwo
DFBR = 19
189.47 BPM
3.16 Hz

Marth, Peach, Falcon, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Roy
DFBR = 16
225 BPM
3.75 Hz

Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Yoshi, Ness, Bowser, Pichu
DFBR = 14
257.14 BPM
4.29 Hz

Jigglypuff, Young Link, Link, Kirby
DFBR = 13
276.92 BPM

Fox, Falco
DFBR = 12
300 BPM
4.62 Hz

Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario
DFBR = 11
327.27 BPM
5.45 Hz

Samus, Mr. Game & Watch
DFBR = 9
400 BPM
6.67 Hz

Sheik
DFBR = 8
450 BPM
7.5 Hz

*** END UPDATE ***

*** ORIGINAL POST FROM JUNE 2015 BELOW ***
I calculated the tempo between the opposite direction inputs of each character's 'basic' dash dance. I refer to these values as 'basic' because there are ways for characters to do 'extended' dash dances, mostly used with sheik/fox/falcon/marth. I am only dealing with the kind that can be done by simply tapping left-right-left-right at a certain rate.

These are the MINIMUM BPM values corresponding to the MAXIMUM RANGE 'basic' dash dances for each character. At slower values the character will enter 'run' have to use the turnaround animation, aka dash dance fail. Any faster than the posted BPM and they simply do a smaller radius dash dance. The duration of one gap between two beats is the longest possible dash input that can result in a foxtrot with that character (the same as the DFBR value times 16.666ms)

The theoretical limit (TAS) maximum BPM / shortest distance 'basic' dash dance (dustless) for all characters is 1800 BPM = 30Hz. However, the game requires a dash to continue for at least 4 frames before the character can turn. After the first turn (4 frames after starting the dash), the rest of the inputs can be input on every other frame (so half of 60fps: dash-turn-dash-turn...) (thank you @ T tauKhan for the correction)

The minimum steady BPM to start up and then sustain the tightest basic dash dance from standing (without speeding up) would be 900 BPM = 15 Hz (4 frame limit). Depending on which frame the cloud appears for your character, this may also be within the 'dustless' realm. (Anyone know if dust is on the same frame for every character / the exact ones for each?)

Accompanying the BPMs are random songs for 100%, 50% and 25% of the tempo. These can help in practice or just to help auralize it. There are also links to metronome recordings. many of the higher ranges (300 BPM+) have very few resources and must suffer approximation to existing Youtube content or incompleteness.

DFBR = Dash Frames Before Run (the total frames from input to running animation, minus one)
BPM=Beats Per Minute, Hz = Hertz (frequency, aka ___ times per second)

Screencap of the spreadsheet with unrounded values can be found here http://imgur.com/gt2Bgkt
Thanks to @Kadano for proofreading / answering some questions!

DISCLAIMER: For those looking to use this for practice, keep in mind that sticking to any constant pattern is a surefire way to have a terrible neutral game. This was more of an exercise in translating the data into a recognizable medium for sake of comparison

200 BPM = 3.33 Hz
Mewtwo

DFBR = 18
Full tempo (200): "Kryptonite" 3 Doors Down , "Doo-Wop (That Thing)" Laruyn Hill
1/2 tempo (100): "Party Up (Up in Here)" DMX , "Pon de Replay" Rihanna
1/4 tempo (50): "I'm Sticking With You" Velvet Underground , "Long Way 2 Go" Cassie

240 BPM = 4 Hz
Marth, Peach, Falcon, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Roy

DFBR = 15
Full tempo (240): "Indestructible" Robyn , "Without You" George Lamond
1/2 tempo (120): "Don't Stop Belivin'" Journey , "Born In The USA" Bruce Springsteen
1/4 tempo (60): "Super Rich Kids" Frank Ocean , "Praise You" Fatboy Slim

277 BPM = 4.6 Hz
Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Yoshi, Ness, Bowser, Pichu
DFBR = 13
Full tempo (~277): "Choice Of The Elite by SRF Remix"Lord of Sp33d
1/2 tempo (138): "Beat It" Michael Jackson , "Viva La Vida" Coldplay
1/4 tempo (69): "Tainted Love" Soft Cell, "Good Vibrations" The Beach Boys

300 BPM = 5 Hz
Jigglypuff, Young Link, Link, Kirby

DFBR = 12
Full tempo (300): "Power Up" Tripcore , "Death Trauma" Arcid
1/2 tempo (150): "All The Small Things" Blink-182 , "Message in a Bottle" The Police
1/4 tempo (75): "Dream On" Aerosmith , "Obnoxious" Immortal Technique

328 BPM = 5.5 Hz
Fox, Falco

DFBR = 11
Full tempo (~328): will add
1/2 tempo (~164): "Rebel Yell" Billy Idol , "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" Green Day
1/4 tempo (~82): "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" Jay-Z , "NY State Of Mind" Nas

360 BPM = 6 Hz
Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario

DFBR = 10
Full tempo (360): "Murals" Lupe Fiasco (the individual piano notes in the beat)
1/2 tempo (180): "Reality Check" Binary Star , "I'm a Believer" The Monkees
1/4 tempo (90):: "Gold Digger ft Jamie Foxx" Kanye West , "Creep" Radiohead

450 BPM = 7.5 Hz
Samus, Mr. Game & Watch
DFBR = 8
Full tempo (450): "Game Over" Acid X ToRzians Life
1/2 tempo (225): "Ballroom Blitz" The Sweet , "One Day" Hanz Zimmer
1/4 tempo (~112): "Should I Stay or Should I Go" The Clash , "Numb" Linkin Park

514 BPM = 8.57 Hz
Sheik

DFBR = 7
Full tempo (~514): "Insomnia Speedcore" Deterrent Man
1/2 tempo (~257): "Silver****" Smashing Pumpkins , "Right Dey" Kes
1/4 tempo (~128.5): "Party Rock Anthem" LMFAO , "Its Tricky" Run DMC

900 BPM = 15 Hz
"From standing" limit, possibly min bound for dustless?

Every 4 frames
Full tempo (~900): will edit in if somebody can find any
1/2 tempo (~450): will edit in if somebody can find any
1/4 tempo (225): "Mr Chainsaw" Alkaline Trio , "Shimmy" System of a Down

1800 BPM = 30 Hz
TAS Limit (after 4 frame initial dash), Dustless

Every 2 frames
Full tempo (1800): will edit in if somebody can find any
1/2 tempo (900): will edit in if somebody can find any
1/4 tempo (450): will edit in if somebody can find any

Last edited:

jazz_1993

Smash Rookie
This is a great idea, I've tried to do this before with a pure metronome but I found keeping up with true max range bpm is really challenging. If you get ahead you have no room to work with to slow down and get back to the metronome's beat. Of course practicing with range of faster bpm's is possible and really fun.

It should be possible to practice staggered dash dances ( - . - . - . or - . - - . - ) with something like this, I'm going to try it out.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that you can't smash turn immediately out of turn. So the fastest possible TAS dd would be Dash-> Turn-> Dash->Turn... which is 30 inputs per second, not 60.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
I'm pretty sure that you can't smash turn immediately out of turn. So the fastest possible TAS dd would be Dash-> Turn-> Dash->Turn... which is 30 inputs per second, not 60.
thank you for catching that, will edit this information in

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
If your dash dancing is too rhythmic, it is predictable. I was doing this once, dash dancing in rhythm when it hit me: Puff's bair that is. I was hit at the point I was closest just before I was going to dash dance back. I realized that the Puff player caught onto my rhythm and predicted my position and put a bair where I was going. Dash dances are meant to be unpredictable, tricky movement for evasion, not to make a rhythmically moving target.

jazz_1993

Smash Rookie
I think this exercise is more about being able to access your longest dash when you need it. I guess you can use other bpms to put a bunch of different lengths in your fingers so that you can draw from them (even for just one dash) as needed in neutral.

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
If your dash dancing is too rhythmic, it is predictable. I was doing this once, dash dancing in rhythm when it hit me: Puff's bair that is. I was hit at the point I was closest just before I was going to dash dance back. I realized that the Puff player caught onto my rhythm and predicted my position and put a bair where I was going. Dash dances are meant to be unpredictable, tricky movement for evasion, not to make a rhythmically moving target.
yeah, I should have put a large disclaimer for those looking to use this for practice that sticking to any constant pattern is a surefire way to have a terrible neutral game. this was more of an exercise in translating the data into a recognizable medium for comparison sake

hectohertz

Smash Ace
im planning on using this to get my dash backs as long as possible before i turnaround for that pivot fair

D A S H B A C K B O Y S

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
@Magus420 happen to have any info on what frame 'dust' comes out for each character, or if its the same for the cast?

Top Bottom