• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Meta Knight

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=735]Banning Meta Knight[/drupal]

Panda said MK could be banned in a matter of months if no counter is found for him soon.

Hypothetically, a counter character is found for it: character X. If its capability as a counter is so prominent that it can stop the banning of Meta Knight, X will no doubt be considered greater than it was. So presently MK's intimidation factor is significantly decreased because of X's apparent ability to take him down. X will then move higher on the tier list as well as be played more in tournaments (so as to ward off the MK's). MK players will soon find no reason to play him because they'll just be countered by a good X player. This yields 2 things:

1. Meta Knight will be considered a much less useful character and will be played less in tournaments to an extent almost equal to if he was just banned in the first place (granted, again, that X is a reliable enough counter pick all the time).

2. If, say, X winds up being a relatively unpopular character that surprises us with its MK countering ability, X won't so much be considered a character with basic gameplay (not specially formatted to fight MK) and a fanbase like usual, but rather just a tool to ensure Meta Knight doesn't dominate all the time. This grants X a hollow and fickle reverence that would seem awefully lame to people who played with/were fans of X before X was popular.

Considering the extent to which we've delved into the tactics and trained in Brawl already, if we have not found any legitimate counter to MK by now, a counter that's capable of throwing out his eligibilty for banning seems a far off possibilty and not worth the time we're taking trying to decide to ban him or not.

Meta Knight is a broken character and the tournament scene would become a much more leveled playing field if he were banned.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
I bet you sakurai ( btw sakurai also created meta knight for kirby ) wanted his moveset to what he created him as in the first place. Being able to break the sound barrier with his sword. However this apparent moveset caused MK to be unfair against every other character, all of his attacks are crazy fast except for like three. The only character today that actually has a 50:50 chance of beating MK is Yoshi, Yoshi is the best character so far to counter MK. However not many players play Yoshi so his meta-game isn't as good as MK. Still to today MK is dominating all tournaments and will continue to better in his own meta-game. Banning MK seems like a smart solution to the problem, but I think that we should continue trying to find a counter. If this turns out to be impossible, MK should be banned.

IkeStriker

Smash Rookie
i dont get what the big deal is i fight Nk all the time under any conditons at any difficulty i always win?
When i play my firend ( he's pro >_<) is 50 50 when i play him if he uses MK

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
MK is crazy good but its sad that we want to take away from the game. Banning him is a weak move supported by those who get angry when they lose to him. Thats all it is, people who love the smell of their own farts get their panties in a twist and attribute their loss to MK being "cheap" instead of their lack of talent. Black and white. IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A GOOD PLAYER THEN YOU NEED NOT BAN ANYONE. Anyone who thinks banning him is a good idea will never be a good player in my eyes. He is the standard of how good one needs to be to be "pro". When did Johnning actually influence the tournament scene? Its very sad and very pathetic.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
MK is crazy good but its sad that we want to take away from the game. Banning him is a weak move supported by those who get angry when they lose to him. Thats all it is, people who love the smell of their own farts get their panties in a twist and attribute their loss to MK being "cheap" instead of their lack of talent. Black and white. IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A GOOD PLAYER THEN YOU NEED NOT BAN ANYONE. Anyone who thinks banning him is a good idea will never be a good player in my eyes. He is the standard of how good one needs to be to be "pro". When did Johnning actually influence the tournament scene? Its very sad and very pathetic.
What about Akuma? The SF community must not have any good players because he is banned internationally.

People are just trying to determine whether his attributes are ban-worthy or not (I actually do not care; I have more mains than just Meta Knight).

Top Bottom