• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I mean, we have no reason not to believe Shinobi, right? He’s a long time leaker with an extremely solid record of getting things right.
you have to be wrong eventually...right?

i mean i just hope he's correct so he doesn't have to leave the internet due to banjo fans attacking him

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean... think about it: Everyone was wondering why all of these insiders were leaning towards Banjo but no one seemed to want to throw the chips down and say for certain he's in. Vergeben even gave himself wiggle room to jump ship if it all went belly-up; Shinobi only vaguely hinted at Banjo being in Smash a week before the presentation; a hint, but not a confirmation. Now comes Sabi about to give us a hard yes or no, and Nintendo suddenly nails them, they finally caught a leaker with juicy info no one can resist spilling the beans on.

Banjo is an underdog dark horse in the Smash DLC race; who WOULDN'T jump at the chance to be the one to say for certain if they made it in or not? People say they wouldn't use a popular character like Banjo as leakbait... but allegedly Square did just that with fan-favorites like Sora, Sephiroth, and Geno.
Vergeben barely gave himself any wiggle room at all; 1%? It must be very minor, because if that 99% doesn’t happen, I can already see him getting tons of harassment from Smash fans, a lot more than he gets already. And Sabi was trying to get Direct info, and was leaking mostly everything else; if it was just for leakbait, they would’ve just went after her source, as leakbait is for company insiders, not outsiders. And with how Shinobi is acting, he seems confident in his tease; he’s probably being vague so he doesn’t get C&D’d or risk his source getting caught.

If Banjo-Kazooie is leakbait, then I guess we’re getting Steve (who’d also make me happy but I’d still want B-K) or whoever, because they’d have no reason to use them as leakbait otherwise. I’d also find it weird that they’d end up being leakbait, because insiders and leakers like Vergeben are somehow able to be sure when something isn’t leakbait, and more than one-two people seem to be vouching for them.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Since people need some cheering up in this thread. Throw some meme ideas towards me and I can try and make them. I can't guarantee they will age well. And try to not make the meme idea attack other characters.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyway Ctoan got a yes answer from Sabi after asking if Banjo Kazooie were in Smash. If Vergeben is determined to die on that Erdrick hill, I'm willing to die on the Shinobi hill.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
The 1% Vergeben gave himself is an out for claiming he knows anything for sure to avoid any cease & desist notices.

Sabi's ultimate downfall was going in 100% on every leak, and not disguising things with obtuse language and whatnot to avoid being claimed.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
you have to be wrong eventually...right?

i mean i just hope he's correct so he doesn't have to leave the internet due to banjo fans attacking him
I mean, eventually he’ll get something wrong. But until he does he’s got my trust. And even if he does miss something that’s still a pretty good track record.

I don’t know. I feel very strongly Banjo is in because of his subtle leak. Guess we’ll find out Tuesday.

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
*Wakes up*
Oh boy, 15 new pages, something spicy must have happened!
*Gloom and doom because something that wasn't announced didn't happen.*
Oh.... Um... I'll come back tomorrow then? Got games to play. (Oxygen Not Included has been a great way to pass time the last few days)

Holy **** this thread finds whatever reason it can to give up hope. Now I remember why I stopped coming to Smashboards for a while. Too much negativity and ship jumping.
Same here. Y'all need to become more stubborn.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'ma need some verification on that chief. Who is Ctoan and why should we believe them?
Ctoan is a user here. This is what he said. Everyone is going to kill me... :^(

Do you want us to mark it as spoilers or do you want us to just not mention it at all?
I'm actually friends with Sabi on Discord (for some reason, I guess she does that for everyone). I DMed her and asked her to just give me a yes or no about Banjo being in so I don't get spoiled on anything else and she told me yes lol. Friendly person.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It bears repeating: If there’s one thing that the last few years have proven, expecting a big tie-in game for Smash DLC is a fool’s gambit.

FFVII Wii U didn’t happen. Street Fighter Wii U didn’t happen. Persona 5 Royale on Switch isn’t happening. They just grab whatever characters they want.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
It bears repeating: If there’s one thing that the last few years have proven, expecting a big tie-in game for Smash DLC is a fool’s gambit.

FFVII Wii U didn’t happen. Street Fighter Wii U didn’t happen. Persona 5 Royale on Switch isn’t happening. They just grab whatever characters they want.
But this time it’s Nintendo picking and not Sakurai. Unless I’m mistaken.

Not saying it has to happen. But maybe we’ll get Rare-Replay of the first games.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Do you want us to mark it as spoilers or do you want us to just not mention it at all?
I'm actually friends with Sabi on Discord (for some reason, I guess she does that for everyone). I DMed her and asked her to just give me a yes or no about Banjo being in so I don't get spoiled on anything else and she told me yes lol. Friendly person.
With all due respect, friend. I've learned not to trust word-of-mouth. Do you have any proper evidence for this claim?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
But this time it’s Nintendo picking and not Sakurai. Unless I’m mistaken.
No, you’re not mistaken, but that still doesn’t disprove the point. It’s Nintendo picking, but that doesn’t mean that they have to all be “shill picks”. If it was, the roster would look far, far different right now.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Honestly it’s the figure for that’s holding my hope for Banjo besides the insiders.

-Crash got one for N.Sane Trilogy
-Spyro got one for Reignited
-Sonic for Sonic Mania etc.

It’s gotta tie to something since a new game and remasters are already out of the question so that leaves Smash or a Rare Replay Switch port.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
In an attempt to bring joy to the thread I thought of a reveal trailer

-:ultmario::ultsonic::ultdk: & :ultpikachu: are fighting in a pleasant grassy field, a large mountain looming in the background
- during the fight a smash ball appears, and they all chase after it.
-A shadowed figure who is watching from a distance notices, and pulls out a piece of paper
-it’s a list. On it are feathers, eggs, notes, jiggies, and a Smash ball. All these items are checked off, except for the Smash ball
-The four are catching up to the Smash ball, with Mario and Sonic in the lead. They both make a jump for it, almost reaching it, until...
-A large furry hand appears outta nowhere and punches Mario, and a taloned foot kicks Sonic away
-After the two are knocked back, they get up to see the figure grab the Smash ball and hand it to a bird, who places it in his backpack. He looks up, gives a “Gu-Huh!” And suddenly

BANJO AND KAZOOIE GET JIGGY WITH IT
I love that idea. Would be nice to see them go all out for a DLC character, especially Banjo & Kazooie. I also have no idea if they'll do the "Get Jiggy With It" joke, but will be interesting to see what they come up with. Also nice tie in with the smash ball. ;)

My ideal announcement would likely not happen. We open up on the intro of Smash 64, as Yoshi is pulled out of the toy chest and placed on the table. Master Hand goes into the countdown and then stops... panning over to the toy chest, we see Banjo & Kazooie in their N64 form climbing up. They transform into their Ultimate graphics leading to a splash screen, followed by a gameplay trailer.

I love it as it references their legacy with the N64 and connects to the fact that Banjo-Kazooie and Smash 64 were released around the same time, fitting for its 20th anniversary. And would fill me with so much nostalgia. Though, I doubt they would go in this direction, as Nintendo/Sakurai would not perceive or give off the impression that Banjo & Kazooie coming to Smash would be them coming back home, as fans like me do. They'll likely treat them like a normal third party character, with little to no reference to their history with Nintendo. Also, we're still unsure how DLC reveals will be. I'm certainly not expecting full CGI trailers, though recreating the Smash 64 open would seem manageable on a smaller budget. If Banjo & Kazooie are in, I have no clue how they'll be revealed, which is why despite the rumors, there's nothing that would stop the hype from that moment.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Honestly it’s the figure for that’s holding my hope for Banjo besides the insiders.

It’s gotta tie to something since a new game and remasters are already out of the question so that leaves Smash or a Rare Replay Switch port.
Also their comment on papa geno's tweet about it. Saying nothing wouldn't have drawn so much attention to it.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

i dunno why people gloss over this fact...those figure/controller holders always tie in with something

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
No, you’re not mistaken, but that still doesn’t disprove the point. It’s Nintendo picking, but that doesn’t mean that they have to all be “shill picks”. If it was, the roster would look far, far different right now.
What qualifies as a “shill pick”? Are we talking more FE/Pokemon fighters, or some blatant marketing move like picking Steve to promote Minecraft on the Switch?

Joker seemed to be added to promote Persona and it seems like Erdrick is extremely likely to be added to promote DQ.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
With all due respect, friend. I've learned not to trust word-of-mouth. Do you have any proper evidence for this claim?
I misinterpreted it, Ctoan wasn't stating that he/she got a confirmation on Banjo Kazooie's inclusion. They said that Sabi would give them information when the time came.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Anyway Ctoan got a yes answer from Sabi after asking if Banjo Kazooie were in Smash. If Vergeben is determined to die on that Erdrick hill, I'm willing to die on the Shinobi hill.
I mean those can be mutually exclusive things and there’s still a chance we could see a double reveal at E3 (I don’t believe we will personally, but it’s still possible). Verge hasn’t mentioned a time frame for Erdrick’s reveal since he was wrong about the Square Enix Rep showing up first. You don’t have to pick between those hills to die on is what I’m saying because no one else is either...

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
as soon as i mentioned the controller holder company someone on another site had to counter with

"Two figurines is not a bunch. Also, Conker got a recent figurine too, is HE confirmed, then??"

jeez at this rate i just think these type of people just don't want to believe banjo's chances are anything higher than 0%

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
The problem with these kinds of big rumours, is that, if the character is not Banjo, it will have a letdown. Banjo is like the biggest character in Smash newcomer speculation, since K. Rool and Ridley are in. So every other character will result in people arguing and being mad or sad it isn't Banjo. That makes this situation so hard.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean those can be mutually exclusive things and there’s still a chance we could see a double reveal at E3 (I don’t believe we will personally, but it’s still possible). Verge hasn’t mentioned a time frame for Erdrick’s reveal since he was wrong about the Square Enix Rep showing up first. You don’t have to pick between those hills to die on is what I’m saying because no one else is either...
I know... I'm just trying to light a fire in a damp forest.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
as soon as i mentioned the controller holder company someone on another site had to counter with

"Two figurines is not a bunch. Also, Conker got a recent figurine too, is HE confirmed, then??"

jeez at this rate i just think these type of people just don't want to believe banjo's chances are anything higher than 0%
My issue with the figurine theory is that it would make sense to tie into a brand new game, or something like that. I highly doubt Nintendo has contracted with a 3rd party figurine company for a secret character, when they would probably solely focus on their amiibo. It's highly possible that Banjo's in Smash and the figurines were coincidental--it's not that odd for merchandise to come out for nostalgic IP. The one thing that makes me think something might be up is them responding to Tweets with cryptic messages--but, could very well have been a cynical marketing ploy to bank on people hyping them up for E3.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
What qualifies as a “shill pick”? Are we talking more FE/Pokemon fighters, or some blatant marketing move like picking Steve to promote Minecraft on the Switch?

Joker seemed to be added to promote Persona and it seems like Erdrick is extremely likely to be added to promote DQ.
That’s the thing. “seemed to”. It absolutely looked like Joker was there to promote P5 on Switch, but he wasn’t after all. That, along with Cloud and Ryu before him, sets an important precedent that big tie-in games aren’t exactly required for Smash eligibility. Not getting a remaster/new game doesn’t affect much at all for Banjo’s Smash chances.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
That’s the thing. “seemed to”. It absolutely looked like Joker was there to promote P5 on Switch, but he wasn’t after all. That, along with Cloud and Ryu before him, sets an important precedent that big tie-in games aren’t exactly required for Smash eligibility. Not getting a remaster/new game doesn’t affect much at all for Banjo’s Smash chances.
I agree and for the simple fact that I think Nintendo and Microsoft’s recent relationship is a good enough reason to have Banjo anyways.

I think it was stated before that Sakurai actually wanted to have Banjo in Smash back in the N64 game, but never got around to it for some reason or another. So we also have that going for him and the fact that’s he’s been a wanted character for a long time.

Everything just kind of seems to line up for him.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I agree and for the simple fact that I think Nintendo and Microsoft’s recent relationship is a good enough reason to have Banjo anyways.

I think it was stated before that Sakurai actually wanted to have Banjo in Smash back in the N64 game, but never got around to it for some reason or another. So we also have that going for him and the fact that’s he’s been a wanted character for a long time.

Everything just kind of seems to line up for him.
This is from the Smash Wiki: https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_rumors

"Based on responses from fan questions confirming that Banjo from the Banjo-Kazooie games and James Bond from GoldenEye 007 would not be appearing in Melee, a popular rumor manifested, claiming that these characters were actually planned for inclusion but ultimately cut because Sakurai could not secure the rights from Rare (and, in the latter case, Eon Productions, the holders of Bond's film rights, which Rare secured to produce GoldenEye 007). However, Sakurai only said that the characters would be difficult to include, not that he had planned to include them. It is worth noting that there were going to be trophies of characters from Rare games, but because the possibility of playable characters was not mentioned in this statement, the chances of this rumor being true are slim. "

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
What say you Mr. Stagg Mr. Stagg ? You're usually one of our leading hype men. Breathe life into this thread.
For those of you giving up over this. Are we really going to let this stop our hype? I expected better when I saw the aftermath of the Microsoft conference. Not a single one of the insiders supporting Banjo ever implied there would be remake or new game. The only thing that could point to anything new for Banjo would be the altered Rare Replay for Switch as mentioned by Sabi. The absence of Banjo in the conference was never mentioned or expected based on what the insiders have implied. All that hype about a remaster or new game was all on us.

Sabi being C&D'ed also means nothing, it just means that we will not be getting the info we want as soon as we thought. Sabi getting the C&D was her own doing due to how open she was about her leaking. It sucks we can't get our answer now, but does that really erase everything else that point toward our Bear and Bird getting into Smash? You all act like it does, and that disappoints me greatly. Shinobi knows that people have tried to edit his posts, this isn't his first rodeo. Sabi herself stated that Shinobi has "the highest level of credibility", yet we are throwing our hope away for this? Shinobi would've clearly said something if his post was not intended to be a tease. The dude knows that he's seen as an insider and his choice of words was very particular. The point im getting to here is that we need to calm down from all this drama, take a deep breath, and look back at all the factors that point towards Banjo and Kazooie getting in. Ryce and Sabi have full confidence in Shinobi. Sabi also has confidence in one person we've forgotten for a few weeks. See a recurring word between this person and Shinobi's?

IGC.png

"Smashing"

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I took the time and rewatched the part with Sakurai at the tournament and noticed something (nothing much, i just want to point that out):

https://youtu.be/OJhTgJKMtZc

Sakurai shows up at 26:41 and up until 27:33 the Smash Ball in the background is a regular Smash Ball. Sakurai himself says so at 27:02.

At 27:32 it changes to a Fake Smash Ball (without a cut of the scene or anything, they change the design of the ball (i hope i worded that right)) and Sakurai noticed it at about 27: 47.

I just wanted to point that out.

Don't give up hope, guys! The show ain't over until the old witch sings! :)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm still struggling to understand why exactly people saw leaks of Banjo being in SMASH from reputable leakers and assumed that it automatically meant they were getting a new game or remake.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
i mean all the merch popping up and one of the most credible insiders hinting at banjo's inclusion(an insider who has never been wrong to this day)does make it seem weird if it's not banjo
What really irritates me is when faced with all this evidence, people still try to spin things against their inclusion.
Shinobi has a perfect record, yet THIS is the time he'll be wrong. Exquisite Gaming has a record of making big event merch for a franchise, yet THIS is the time it's just a statue with nothing else.
Even outside of the insiders and leak talk it always boils down to, "Well Banjo-kazooie is only popular because of little kids seeing it onGame Grumps! There's no REAL fanbase for it anyway."
You can really smell the stink of bias in these cases and people are outright downplaying or ignoring just how big it is that we have so much support now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
i mean all the merch popping up and one of the most credible insiders hinting at banjo's inclusion(an insider who has never been wrong to this day)does make it seem weird if it's not banjo
I have an incredibly dumb theory that won't hold up well. What if Exquisite Gaming's cable guy was not an error and Nintendo did actually buy the rights to Banjo Kazooie?

Top Bottom