• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah I could see rare replay on switch with diffrent games on it from rare's past with nintendo

DKC 1-3 DKL1-3
BK,BT,BKGR,BP
DKR & DK64
Golden Eye ?
Starfox Adventures ?
(Hope they keep conker as nintendo has plenty of parental controls on there sytem to stop kids from playing it)

the best part would be new developer interviews for those games maybe even getting people like miyamoto to talk about those games too

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yeah I could see rare replay on switch with diffrent games on it from rare's past with nintendo

DKC 1-3 DKL1-3
BK,BT,BKGR,BP
DKR & DK64
Golden Eye ?
Starfox Adventures ?
(Hope they keep conker as nintendo has plenty of parental controls on there sytem to stop kids from playing it)

the best part would be new developer interviews for those games maybe even getting people like miyamoto to talk about those games too
I feel if this happens, here’s what I see happening:

All games that run in the program itself stay (Jetpac through Ghoulies (though this one depends on if they port or emulate since it was ported in the original)

BK ,PD, and BT revert to N64 versions

Replacing the 360 games are DKC 1-3, DK64 (four versions of Jetpac again!), DKR, and Star Fox Adventures

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wonder if Switch's Rare Replay would have Conker's other games.

...er, well, game...since Twelve Tales was cancelled, and L&R is just a BFD remake.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
oh yeah i forgot about conker's pocket tales ! would love if they add that game as i never got a chance to play it

Even if we get a rare replay on switch i STLL want a N64 classic mini wiith rare games on it I'd buy both for me & my family members

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
We're kinda gettin' super hypothetical now, but if a Rare Replay on Switch exists, and if it does have the Nintendo collaborated developed games, like DK and Star Fox and such, I'd hope very much they'd do the same 'Rare Revealed' behind the scene interviews that go into the making of the games, which would be even more perfect to have for DKC's 25th. So, yeah, if it happens, that would be fantastic.

D

Deleted member

Banjo should get in just for the sake of giving the Banjo fans something at the level of Megaman in Smash 4.
At worst one last Hoora! for the bear... but at best the start of a possible comeback.

And if we do get a second Fighter Pass, he would be pretty likely to get in easily.

We're kinda gettin' super hypothetical now, but if a Rare Replay on Switch exists, and if it does have the Nintendo collaborated developed games, like DK and Star Fox and such, I'd hope very much they'd do the same 'Rare Revealed' behind the scene interviews that go into the making of the games, which would be even more perfect to have for DKC's 25th. So, yeah, if it happens, that would be fantastic.
Good lord I would love that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder if Switch's Rare Replay would have Conker's other games.

...er, well, game...since Twelve Tales was cancelled, and L&R is just a BFD remake.
Did you forget about Pocket Tales? That's another possibility. He only has essentially two games, sure(Bad Fur Day and its remake, and the one Gameboy game), but... though to be fair, Pocket Tales is hardly as memorable.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Did you forget about Pocket Tales? That's another possibility. He only has essentially two games, sure(Bad Fur Day and its remake, and the one Gameboy game), but... though to be fair, Pocket Tales is hardly as memorable.
yeah I was referring to Pocket Tales; I've never played it, but I'd be interested in trying it. I wonder if they'd actually finish Twelve Tales just for the Switch, but I guess this is farfetch'd.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah I was referring to Pocket Tales; I've never played it, but I'd be interested in trying it. I wonder if they'd actually finish Twelve Tales just for the Switch, but I guess this is farfetch'd.
Maybe a leek will come along about this?

I'd like to see it and many other games finished. Quest 64 II, a real Banjo-Threeie, etc.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
At this point, having Rare Replay on the Switch which would hopefully sync with Banjo & Kazooie being included in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as part of the Fighter Pass DLC would be a literal dream come true. Just the fact that the Switch has managed to bring so many exciting games, remasters, ports, and even cross titles to its market, along with the fact you can take your entire gaming library with you ANYWHERE YOU WANT, shows that the Switch is probably one of the most special Nintendo systems in a long time. Even more so if Banjo-Kazooie finally manage to make an appearance on it after years of being away both in games in general and on Nintendo consoles, specifically.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Would this even be possible? Like, how many of the original people who worked on those games are still at Rare?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Would this even be possible? Like, how many of the original people who worked on those games are still at Rare?
For Rare Replay they interviewed people no longer at Rare for the 'Rare Revealed' segments, like David Wise, Grant Kirkhope, Kevin Bayliss, and Chris Sutherland. So I'm sure they could do it again.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617

DKC 1-3 DKL1-3
BK,BT,BKGR,BP
DKR & DK64
Golden Eye ?
Starfox Adventures ?

I think goldeneye is the least likely rare game of the bunch due to licensing and stuff. I've heard that game is a minefield between actors likenesses, the james bond franchise, nintendo, rare and god knows who else. and to be honest, 007 does not hold up well today unlike banjo kazooie which is still just as fun, so I surely won't miss it especially if we get perfect dark which is just an improved goldeneye anyways.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
If Rare Replay does indeed happen, I'm hopeful that the XBox games AND the Nintendo Rare games will come with it. If I had to choose I'd likely go with the Nintendo games because Diddy Kong Racing is life and anything that could possibly maybe even slightly increase the chances of us being graced with another is A-Okay in my book. Having said that, some of the XBox games do appeal to me and I think would fit well on a Nintendo console. Specifically Viva Pinata like basically everyone has pointed out already. I dunno if that's reasonable, but I'd like to hope if nothing else. Banjo returning to Nintendo is really the only important part though, the rest is just gravy.

Also I don't really foresee Conker having any issues on NIntendo's end at this point. Certainly there were misgivings in the past, but Nintendo has changed at this point. And while they still generally don't make their own games with very adult themes themselves, they've been just fine with them appearing on their consoles recently.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Also I don't really foresee Conker having any issues on NIntendo's end at this point. Certainly there were misgivings in the past, but Nintendo has changed at this point. And while they still generally don't make their own games with very adult themes themselves, they've been just fine with them appearing on their consoles recently.
Wanted to agree with you here. People need to realize that Nintendo is not the same super-kiddie company it was back in the late 90s. Of course it will always cater to the younger crowd first, but to say that Nintendo hasn't stepped out of their comfort zone and started adding more M-rated games to their library is ludicrous. Conker would likely have zero issues with Nintendo. I could see Bad Fur Day getting slight tweaks in case some of the jokes didn't age well, but regardless Conker could work.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think goldeneye is the least likely rare game of the bunch due to licensing and stuff. I've heard that game is a minefield between actors likenesses, the james bond franchise, nintendo, rare and god knows who else. and to be honest, 007 does not hold up well today unlike banjo kazooie which is still just as fun, so I surely won't miss it especially if we get perfect dark which is just an improved goldeneye anyways.
If Goldeneye got the PD HD treatment with dual stick controls, I'd argue that it would certainly hold up. It did almost get that kind of remake during the Wii60 era that would have had online (on XBLA, at least) and enhanced graphics with a toggle to change to the original grpahics in real time. I believe Nintendo of Japan was the main unwilling party in this situation. I'm not saying Goldeneye is a lock for Rare Replay on switch, but if Nintendo and MS are super buddy-buddy now, I'd say it's on the table again. Nintendo negotiated with Square and Konami for Smash Bros, so I don't believe it would be an impossible task to nab 007.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wanted to agree with you here. People need to realize that Nintendo is not the same super-kiddie company it was back in the late 90s. Of course it will always cater to the younger crowd first, but to say that Nintendo hasn't stepped out of their comfort zone and started adding more M-rated games to their library is ludicrous. Conker would likely have zero issues with Nintendo. I could see Bad Fur Day getting slight tweaks in case some of the jokes didn't age well, but regardless Conker could work.
I don't think any games would be getting tweaks in that way. People want to play the original games authentically with these kinds of collections.

Although I wouldn't exactly oppose to tweaks that extended to Dixie/Tiny/Wizpig/Taj being made playable in Diddy Kong Racing 64!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If we want to get drastic. They could always separate Conker's Bad Fur Day and make it a free download with the purchase of Rare Replay. Keeps the game rated E-T in stores because technically the game doesn't come with Conker on the cart. I don't believe DLC or online experiences are rated by the ESRB.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we want to get drastic. They could always separate Conker's Bad Fur Day and make it a free download with the purchase of Rare Replay. Keeps the game rated E-T in stores because technically the game doesn't come with Conker on the cart. I don't believe DLC or online experiences are rated by the ESRB.
They get their own separate ratings. It being a separate but downloadable free game since you purchased something else wouldn't be an issue in that regard. But it would still have to be rated, like all game releases. There aren't exceptions in that regard.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean they're courting more third-parties that provide M-rated titles now than they used to, but have they really added that many more themselves? They've co-opted Bayonetta and dabbled in single iterations here and there for a long time, but when Rare left so too did Conker, Perfect Dark, and the possibility of easy GoldenEye followups (and Killer Instinct - though that was T). I don't really think the company skews any older now than it did then, especially with the rise of Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Nintendogs, the Miis, etc, and the gradually diminishing prominence of series like Metroid and F-Zero.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo can allow South Park on the Switch why can’t they allow Bad Fur Day as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Nintendo can allow South Park on the Switch why can’t they allow Bad Fur Day as well.
Exactly.

Now, if it's on Rare Replay, it will affect the RR ratings itself. However, if it's a separated game in some way(as suggested as an extra downloadable free game if you get Rare Replay itself), where it'd have its own separate ratings, the issue is pretty resolved. Albeit, I wouldn't call either way a real issue. It just means people need to look before they buy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are hung up on BFD, but it'd also be Perfect Dark (and PD0) as well.

I don't see them carving the collection up to that extent, these are some of the most well-regarded and Nintendo-oriented titles of the package.
Well, not PD0.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

I don't see them carving the collection up to that extent, these are some of the most well-regarded and Nintendo-oriented titles of the package.
Well, not PD0.
I'd be very interested in trying out Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day if they made it onto Rare Replay for the Switch, since I never had a chance back in the N64 days. Of course, I'd be a little disappointed if GoldenEye 007 didn't make it in, having fond memories playing it with friends in each other's basements back in the day, but I'd understand given all the rights and stuff everyone would have to go through. Just having Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and the Donkey Kong Country series would be enough to leave me satisfied.

TheBeastHimself

ESRB ratings are there for a reason, in my opinion it is the consumer's fault if they are displeased with a product because they should know what game they are buying. I don't think a rated M label on Rare Replay for the Switch would be a bad thing, just as long as Nintendo stresses that only a select few games are worthy of that rating. Also include in-game warnings before starting up those games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd be very interested in trying out Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day if they made it onto Rare Replay for the Switch, since I never had a chance back in the N64 days. Of course, I'd be a little disappointed if GoldenEye 007 didn't make it in, having fond memories playing it with friends in each other's basements back in the day, but I'd understand given all the rights and stuff everyone would have to go through. Just having Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and the Donkey Kong Country series would be enough to leave me satisfied.
I haven't played either in a long time, but I think Perfect Dark would really benefit from not being shackled to the N64's control scheme. And as for Conker, if you dug Banjo, you'll like it. Plus now you'll presumably appreciate the humour that went over a lot of kids' heads.

That said, I bet both are a little more dated than I remember.

ESRB ratings are there for a reason, in my opinion it is the consumer's fault if they are displeased with a product because they should know what game they are buying. I don't think a rated M label on Rare Replay for the Switch would be a bad thing, just as long as Nintendo stresses that only a select few games are worthy of that rating. Also include in-game warnings before starting up those games.
Frankly I think the promise of a collection of (mostly) old games is going to appeal more to people who remember those games than those currently hindered by ratings. That is to say, I think adults who grew up with these Rare games are gonna dip on this much more than children.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Well, not PD0.
Ah, good point. Yeah, it'd just be a rating E10(as I don't think some of the Rare games would be lowest of E10+) to M then. I do think they'd use regular Perfect Dark too.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Good point. Rare replay is more marketed towards people like us. Who really don't care what the rating of a game is and remember the games fondly. It's not exactly a game a parent would buy little Timmy anyway or a game a kid would beg for. So they wouldn't exactly be worrying about the sells from those people.

Even the Xbox version of the game doesn't have one rating. It says the complete range. I'm trying to remember if they even asked for an ID the last time I bought rare replay.
81s9mAkhuZL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

\Frankly I think the promise of a collection of (mostly) old games is going to appeal more to people who remember those games than those currently hindered by ratings. That is to say, I think adults who grew up with these Rare games are gonna dip on this much more than children.
Good point. Rare replay is more marketed towards people like us. Who really don't care what the rating of a game is and remember the games fondly. It's not exactly a game a parent would buy little Timmy anyway or a game a kid would beg for. So they wouldn't exactly be worrying about the sells from those people.
Those are both good points, I completely forgot we would be the target audience!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ah, good point. Yeah, it'd just be a rating E10(as I don't think some of the Rare games would be lowest of E10+) to M then. I do think they'd use regular Perfect Dark too.
Wouldn't they just go with the current rating? The collection came out after E10 was already a thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't they just go with the current rating? The collection came out after E10 was already a thing.
It depends the games on it. If a game is rated T or up, they would have to note these things. At least from what I understand. It'd probably mention whatever the lowest rating is if it only lists one. Otherwise having a list of lowest to highest works better as it keeps it honest for the parents to look at. Not that ratings are usually that useful, but it works well enough for the purpose of selling games.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Remember, when you first boot up Conker in Rare Replay it actually gives you a warning on its mature content.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It depends the games on it. If a game is rated T or up, they would have to note these things. At least from what I understand. It'd probably mention whatever the lowest rating is if it only lists one. Otherwise having a list of lowest to highest works better as it keeps it honest for the parents to look at. Not that ratings are usually that useful, but it works well enough for the purpose of selling games.
According to ESRB, the Rare Replay itself (as in, not the 360 games) is rated M, mostly because of Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, and Conker.

The box art depicts E-M because of the 360 games being E (Viva Piñata, Trouble in Paradise, Jetpack Refuelled, and both Banjo N64 games), E10 (Nuts and Bolts), T (Kameo) and M (both Perfect Dark games)

This question from the Rare Replay FAQ answers it best:

Does each game come with its own age rating?
Rare Replay has been given an overall rating (which differs on a per-region basis). Titles within the collection are not individually rated. If an Xbox One profile has been restricted from playing games above a certain age rating and Rare Replay exceeds that rating, that profile won't be able to play Rare Replay.
In the Rare Replay collection, all titles are treated as if they had the same rating. However, some games and bonus content will bring up additional warning messages to remind players that the content is only suitable for mature viewers.

Source

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
According to ESRB, the Rare Replay itself (as in, not the 360 games) is rated M, mostly because of Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, and Conker.

The box art depicts E-M because of the 360 games being E (Viva Piñata, Trouble in Paradise, Jetpack Refuelled, and both Banjo N64 games), E10 (Nuts and Bolts), T (Kameo) and M (both Perfect Dark games)

This question from the Rare Replay FAQ answers it best:

Does each game come with its own age rating?
Rare Replay has been given an overall rating (which differs on a per-region basis). Titles within the collection are not individually rated. If an Xbox One profile has been restricted from playing games above a certain age rating and Rare Replay exceeds that rating, that profile won't be able to play Rare Replay.
In the Rare Replay collection, all titles are treated as if they had the same rating. However, some games and bonus content will bring up additional warning messages to remind players that the content is only suitable for mature viewers.

Source
Well, I'd say that answers that, then. Thank you. "Highest rating" it is.

Remember, when you first boot up Conker in Rare Replay it actually gives you a warning on its mature content.
Well, the other person I quoted has a better answer to the issue. Though thanks for bringing that up too.

So depending what games are on there, the rating could be M or E10+ then. I don't think any of them are rated T now?

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
In the realm of customer service, clear, present warnings and labels is the absolute standard for any product that could have various maturity ratings. All rare replay for switch needs is to keep the E - M rating to cover it's bases. As long as it's there and has the warning for BFD's mature content then all liability falls on the customer. I don't see any problems on Nintendo's end letting in BFD on the supposed Rare Replay for Switch.

Y'all are thinking a little too much into it when it comes to Rare Replay from a business standpoint. The only thing we can worry about is a politically correct backlash from people that never experienced BFD before. I can already hear the shrieks from SJW's about Humba's appearence or how Berri in BFD is being "objectified" by having a sexy body. All it took was some shrill shrieking to change G&W's side smash, even though generally everyone didn't give two mighty poo's about it.

Y'all are thinking a little too much into it when it comes to Rare Replay from a business standpoint. The only thing we can worry about is a politically correct backlash from people that never experienced BFD before. I can already hear the shrieks from SJW's about Humba's appearence or how Berri in BFD is being "objectified" by having a sexy body. All it took was some shrill shrieking to change G&W's side smash, even though generally everyone didn't give two mighty poo's about it.
I mean Rare Replay came out in 2015 and there wasn’t any SJW backlash. I don’t think it would be any different in 2019

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
In the realm of customer service, clear, present warnings and labels is the absolute standard for any product that could have various maturity ratings. All rare replay for switch needs is to keep the E - M rating to cover it's bases. As long as it's there and has the warning for BFD's mature content then all liability falls on the customer. I don't see any problems on Nintendo's end letting in BFD on the supposed Rare Replay for Switch.

Game compilations in particular are difficult to rate. Take Namco Arcade on Switch for example. Pac-Man, Galaga, and Dig Dug are easily rated E games, but Splatterhouse brings the entire collection to a T rating.

In general a game compilation seems to get rated based entirely on the content of the "worst offender" which Splatterhouse certainly fits.

As I mentioned, the E-M rating was likely because it included Xbox 360 Backwards compatible games. The "main game" itself, while having warnings around certain games and bonus features, was rated M simply because of the content in Conker, Jet Force, and Killer Instinct, even though a game like Jetpac doesn't really need to be rated M.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I mean Rare Replay came out in 2015 and there wasn’t any SJW backlash. I don’t think it would be any different in 2019
A lot can happen within 4 years. I don't see the shrill brigade making any sort of impact, but I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke up. Video games lately have been left alone from them. The only time it's relevant is when Dev's or a game itself caters to them which results in the subsequent failure of said project. The G&W change isn't really that much, it would only be a problem if Nintendo removed G&W altogether from the roster.

A lot can happen within 4 years. I don't see the shrill brigade making any sort of impact, but I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke up. Video games lately have been left alone from them. The only time it's relevant is when Dev's or a game itself caters to them which results in the subsequent failure of said project. The G&W change isn't really that much, it would only be a problem if Nintendo removed G&W altogether from the roster.
SJWs have been around much longer than 2015, I don’t think they care. Conker is a silly game that people look back on as a classic. It’s almost 20 years old. If they had a problem with it, they would’ve said something by now.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People might hold historical figures to the standards of today, but strangely old media generally gets a pass as being relics from a different time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom