• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I miss any posts asking to join the support list, slip ups happen. Best bet is to like the OP so I get an alert and know to add you.

The list of users who support Banjo for Smash.
Then I would like to be on the list in that case for sure!

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
I have full confidence Banjo will be trotted out for nostalgia money again at some point, not this year. But honestly I'm of the mindset that the series and characters didn't get a proper sendoff, and if Banjo & Kazooie were in Smash Ultimate, I would be happy. They could be immediately retired by Rare and never used in another game ever again and I will have felt they died with dignity and reverence in Smash. Though I'm sure most people want Smash and a proper 3rd game, I really am in the minority who feel Smash is somehow more important.
I completely agree good sir

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Gamestop removed the listing for the plush some time ago. I haven't heard/read any explanation as to why. Personally, I'm hoping it has to do with maintaining scarcity of the IP in order to make a potential Smash reveal that much more momentous.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyone think that we should be getting a date for the direct in several hours? I mean It is monday and noon in Japan right about now.

Last edited:

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
Anyone think that we should get a date for the direct in about several hours? It is monday and noon in Japan right about now.
I would like it to happen, I'm just not sure if it will. Be sure to stalk the twitter pages. *fingers crossed*

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Banjo and Kazooie are being rerated in the RTC. Come show your support. Please note for your scores to be counted, you must post at least two sentences of reasoning for each score.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Been playing Nuts & Bolts lately. I wanted to finish it for the first time and it’s actually kind of fun so far. Yeah it’s not what anyone wanted but after 10 years I’ve gotten over that. It does feel like a sort of conclusion to Rare’s legacy.

So I got to the level that’s inside a console with giant spinning discs of Rare’s previous games with messages written on them. You guys have probably seen the one that says to come back in 2018. The others are interesting too. The Banjo Tooie message jokes about how they threw everything and the kitchen sink into the game and the Grabbed By The Ghoulies one makes fun of the bad sales and how nobody really cared about it. Its kind of cute seeing devs openly comment on their own games and even acknowledging some shortcomings and failures.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I re-rated Banjo-Kazooie, I hope they'll make it. I wish you guys good luck for the next direct that is coming probably soon !

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Now that we have already known for a while that Phil Spencer is on board for Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash, I want to get an idea of how much of a saying he has when it comes to decisions like that, We know he's the head of the Xbox division and I'm sure he has a big saying in calls like this, but Microsoft is a juggernaut of a company so I imagine he would still have to report to the CEO that practically oversees everything and probably other executives as well that make the final call . How long of a leash does Microsoft let him handle and make certain calls in the Xbox division specifically like working out a deal for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash?

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I've never been convinced Geno would have the Mushroom. If they have to get him from Square, it'd make sense that he not be *exactly* a Mario character. I'd actually buy a Mario RPG logo for that exact reason, or something. He's in such a bizarre situation that I could see a weird something like that happening.
i could see geno having a mushroom with FF on it LOL
Why not a combination of the Mario Mushroom and one of the RPG's stars? Shows where he's from while also subtley saying that he's a Mario character with a big asterisk.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Been playing Nuts & Bolts lately. I wanted to finish it for the first time and it’s actually kind of fun so far. Yeah it’s not what anyone wanted but after 10 years I’ve gotten over that. It does feel like a sort of conclusion to Rare’s legacy.

So I got to the level that’s inside a console with giant spinning discs of Rare’s previous games with messages written on them. You guys have probably seen the one that says to come back in 2018. The others are interesting too. The Banjo Tooie message jokes about how they threw everything and the kitchen sink into the game and the Grabbed By The Ghoulies one makes fun of the bad sales and how nobody really cared about it. Its kind of cute seeing devs openly comment on their own games and even acknowledging some shortcomings and failures.
You'd think the vast change in Gameplay would be my biggest issue with Nuts n Bolts. Looking back on it, it's actually all the character design changes. I like to think that whoever decided Mumbo would be a mechanic this time around got fired on launch day.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Now that we have already known for a while that Phil Spencer is on board for Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash, I want to get an idea of how much of a saying he has when it comes to decisions like that, We know he's the head of the Xbox division and I'm sure he has a big saying in calls like this, but Microsoft is a juggernaut of a company so I imagine he would still have to report to the CEO that practically oversees everything and probably other executives as well that make the final call . How long of a leash does Microsoft let him handle and make certain calls in the Xbox division specifically like working out a deal for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash?
Phil Spencer used to answer to the head of Windows before making a decision. He now answers directly to Satya Nadella. I'd imagine he would need permission from Rare to use one of their ips and they seem to always get some sort of consulting role (Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Young Conker).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The design of the plush hasn't been revealed yet, but what if the plush's design will be based off of Banjo and Kazooie's look from Ultimate? Their look will most likely be from the N64 games but have some little influences from their Nuts & Bolts design such as Banjo's stitched clothing detail, and maybe Kazooie having the feather detail and feather mohawk.
As long as we don't get that god awful sinister eyeshadow on her.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I imagine the Microsoft side of things would be a lot more easier to work with, not to mention they have more to gain in the deal, If it wasn't for Sakurai I imagine Nintendo would't even bother or go through the trouble to get Banjo-Kazooie, But I am sure if Sakurai really wanted to include them then Nintendo would probably still be somewhat hesistant ,but willing to work a deal out with Microsoft ,But there is a part of me that thinks Nintendo stubbornness would get the better of them and while I'm sure they respect Banjo-Kazooie's legacy, they would probably prefer to leave their association with the IP in the past since they are no longer affiliated with the franchise.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I imagine the Microsoft side of things would be a lot more easier to work with, not to mention they have more to gain in the deal, If it wasn't for Sakurai I imagine Nintendo would't even bother or go through the trouble to get Banjo-Kazooie, But I am sure if Sakurai really wanted to include them then Nintendo would probably still be somewhat hesistant ,but willing to work a deal out with Microsoft ,But there is a part of me that thinks Nintendo stubbornness would get the better of them and while I'm sure they respect Banjo-Kazooie's legacy, they would probably prefer to leave their association with the IP in the past since they are no longer affiliated with the franchise.
That is my biggest fear that Nintendo doesn't see anything to be gained having Banjo & Kazooie back among their roster of Nintendo characters. If Microsoft is willing to cut a deal and the fan demand is immense, they should see that as a sign people will pay good money to see these characters back in the limelight where they belong instead of being an unjustly 'dead' franchise.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
That is my biggest fear that Nintendo doesn't see anything to be gained having Banjo & Kazooie back among their roster of Nintendo characters.
Until Final Fantasy VII comes out on a Nintendo platform, Cloud has no place to be in Smash Bros. To me he literally is just free advertisement for the PS4 game. Geno, Mallow, Chocobo, Sora and Moogle are more deserving Square Enix representatives. Minor roles in minor games don't justify his inclusion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You'd think the vast change in Gameplay would be my biggest issue with Nuts n Bolts. Looking back on it, it's actually all the character design changes. I like to think that whoever decided Mumbo would be a mechanic this time around got fired on launch day.
I'm still disappointed about them shrinking Humba Wumba's boobs. The B-K cast got on the mature-oriented Xbox, for pete's sake, and Nintendo gets away with stuff riskier than this.

Until Final Fantasy VII comes out on a Nintendo platform, Cloud has no place to be in Smash Bros. To me he literally is just free advertisement for the PS4 game. Geno, Mallow, Chocobo, Sora and Moogle are more deserving Square Enix representatives. Minor roles in minor games don't justify his inclusion.
Almost was on the N64 back in the day. As far as actual free advertising goes, Metal Gear Solid 4 was still in the pipeline when Snake got in Brawl.

Besides, we still have no idea when FFVII Remake comes out at all.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Cloud is a rep FOR final fatasy in genreal sakurai said cloud was chosen to rep FF B/C he is the most popular & iconic of the series so i sakurais eyes he just the rep for FF otherwise we would of got a diffrent FF rep & cloud was the go too. witch makes sense

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
What PS4 game? The FF7 remake isn’t coming out anytime soon

Also if Nintendo doesn’t care about “advertising” for their competitors, why do you?

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
What PS4 game? The FF7 remake isn’t coming out anytime soon

Also if Nintendo doesn’t care about “advertising” for their competitors, why do you?
People keep on saying that Banjo Kazooie wouldn't be in Smash Bros because it's free advertising for Microsoft, but I think that is a fallacy since Cloud and Snake are in there, so I feel characters are chosen based on potential and demand.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
That is my biggest fear that Nintendo doesn't see anything to be gained having Banjo & Kazooie back among their roster of Nintendo characters. If Microsoft is willing to cut a deal and the fan demand is immense, they should see that as a sign people will pay good money to see these characters back in the limelight where they belong instead of being an unjustly 'dead' franchise.
That is my biggest fear as well. We know Microsoft is willing to ball and Sakurai wants BK based on considering him for Melee but didn't try to put him in due to copyright reasons. We just don't know how Nintendo would feel working with a competitor console. Although they have stated that they don't try to compete with Xbox and Playstation and consider themselves their own thing, and recently Nintendo has been working with Xbox on crossplay, so that gives me some hope.

Cloud is a rep FOR final fatasy in genreal sakurai said cloud was chosen to rep FF B/C he is the most popular & iconic of the series so i sakurais eyes he just the rep for FF otherwise we would of got a diffrent FF rep & cloud was the go too. witch makes sense
Yeah I don't get why people are that shocked by Cloud's inclusion considering that Sakurai stated when Pac Man was revealed that he wants to make Smash the best character game ever and we had characters like Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, Pac Man, and Ryu preceding him. Sakurai mainly looks for gaming icons who carry game history with them to be guest characters in Smash. Final Fantasy is one of gaming biggest franchises and Cloud is their biggest character, no FF has the star power that he does, it was only a matter of time. The only Smash character so far that is in purely due to her association with Nintendo is Bayonetta.
“It really is a miracle,” beams an ebullient Sakurai to the gathered room of journalists. “[We have] four of the most famous characters in the video game industry on the same screen battling each other. The only game that makes this possible is Super Smash Bros.”

“And, just between you and me,” he adds, leaning towards the crowd as if to whisper in the ear of each participant, “I’m aiming to make this the number one character game in the world.”
Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.

—That’s true. No other franchises come to mind.

Sakurai: Exactly. And within the FF franchise, Cloud is without question the most popular choice. A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting (laughs).

(Everyone laughs)

Sakurai: At the same time, I think it’s only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.

—Recently, he’s shown up in the Theatrhythm and Kingdom Hearts series. He’s even branching out to the PS4 now with the FFVII remake.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

People keep on saying that Banjo Kazooie wouldn't be in Smash Bros because it's free advertising for Microsoft, but I think that is a fallacy since Cloud and Snake are in there, so I feel characters are chosen based on potential and demand.
Yeah that really makes no sense when it comes to Banjo and Kazooie, If it was the Master Chief, then yeah, that would be free advertising. But Banjo and Kazooie are associated with Nintendo way more than Microsoft, and their last game was 10 years ago and they have no game in development.

It makes even less sense when the first third party character in Smash had a game exclusively on the PS3 the year Brawl was released.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Not surprising ,but still good to hear that Sakurai tries his best to get major gaming icons and all stars into Smash, Obviously their are realistic expectations and impossible ones like Sony and Microsoft 1st Party Characters. (Banjo-Kazooie and maybe Rare being the exception because of history with Nintendo)

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No idea who Mallow is and I'd rather not Sora but a mascot character as FF rep would actually have been pretty cool. They are, after all, present in much more of the series than Cloud himself and are inherently more unique than another swordsman, even if Cloud is one with big pop culture impact.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
They're saying that there's probably one character reveal in the Direct, with a stage. music and a memory probably. Stage means new franchise since other than Mario and Zelda only new franchises have gotten new stages. I can think of only one new franchise that would be hype enough to be announced alone...

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
They're saying that there's probably one character reveal in the Direct, with a stage. music and a memory probably. Stage means new franchise since other than Mario and Zelda only new franchises have gotten new stages. I can think of only one new franchise that would be hype enough to be announced alone...
I dunno... Golden Sun, Crash, etc. There's too many new franchises that could be represented for me to feel like those suspicions can narrow it down to Banjo-K.

They're definetely one of the most probably of the lot, though. Not to sound skeptical, but where is this speculation coming from?

Last edited:

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I dunno... Golden Sun, Crash, etc. There's too many new franchises that could be represented for me to feel like those suspicions can narrow it down to Banjo-K.

They're definetely one of the most probably of the lot, though. Not to sound skeptical, but where is this speculation coming from?
Of those options the hype is most for Banjo, especially judging by the ballot results I’ve seen from various regions. Isaac is good and as the second most requested pick still on the table I think he’ll get in, but as a last minute announce ala Shulk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...tial_evidence_that_we_are_getting_smash_news/

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm still disappointed about them shrinking Humba Wumba's boobs. The B-K cast got on the mature-oriented Xbox, for pete's sake, and Nintendo gets away with stuff riskier than this.
Agreed, she was so freaking cute for a mass of polygons, I had a huge crush on her back in the day haha, then Nuts n' Bolts came out and she had a cute outfit, but her design in general was disappointing.

Of those options the hype is most for Banjo, especially judging by the ballot results I’ve seen from various regions. Isaac is good and as the second most requested pick still on the table I think he’ll get in, but as a last minute announce ala Shulk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...tial_evidence_that_we_are_getting_smash_news/
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Issac, however I do agree with people that said that Banjo would be more likely in a regular direct than a Smash direct where someone like Issac who Smash fans know but probably not the general public would know, since people who aren't that into Smash would watch a regular direct more than a Smash-related one and seeing Banjo & Kazooie revealed would probably get more people who may have been on the fence with Ultimate to tip over and get one!

Hopefully we get an announcement tomorrow like last week confirming the Direct but it'll probably depend on Japan's situation with that earthquake. I heard the death toll rose to like 44 and I think there's still power outages in Hokkaido. So we'll see what happens. If not this week maybe next week...

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Man, We gotta get an announcement or at least a date for the direct really soon, I'm starting to lose it and have withdrawl from lack of news on anything.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I keep saying that the biggest obstacle for B&K is Nintendo because they would be supporting a 'second party' character for a rival company, but the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that it isn't a problem. Snake and Cloud, who are barely represented on Nintendo systems and are more popular as Sony representatives, are in the game, and their affiliation with Nintendo would make you think they had no chance. For me, the chances of Banjo getting in keep getting stronger, especially with the amount of support they will have had with the ballot and the continued support from Phil Spencer.

Just thinking about that, has anyone from RARE said they would be okay with Banjo in Smash?

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Assuming that we get a Direct with new Smash content for next month, what are the chances of Nintendo holding off on the delayed Smash content for this month and combining it with the next planned content?

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
There as an article released I believe about a week ago with Sakurai talking about Music. He mentioned that Nintendo HAS to buy the rights for music. Which means pretty much everything as well. Regarding Banjo-Kazooie it would have to be Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft negotiating costs and what not. Im sure Nintendo TRUSTS Sakurai's judgement so adding Banjo/Kazooie MAY push a ton more of sales MAYBE NOT. But Nintendo has to give sakurai the check book for him to purchase these rights. Who knows though how much of a limit is Sakurai on when negotiating 3rd party guests. (especially from a competitors library) Is it different with company? or is there a set limit for REGARDLESS which company? Looking at castlevania Sakurai went all out Characters (2), Big stage, many cameos, and 34 music tracks that we know of concerning content of castlevania. Makes you wonder exactly what he has done for a character that he actually wants in (geno im hoping he goes allllllllll out). For Banjo-Kazooie he will treat them right I know he will. You can't have Banjo-Kazooie without Gruntilda and Spiral Mountain and amazing music that game has. :D Imma copy this to the Geno Thread as well. Good luck to everyone getting their most wanted character in. Banjo- Kazooie is a character I want but my priority is Geno. :D Double reveal BK/Geno omg *drool*

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
There as an article released I believe about a week ago with Sakurai talking about Music. He mentioned that Nintendo HAS to buy the rights for music. Which means pretty much everything as well. Regarding Banjo-Kazooie it would have to be Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft negotiating costs and what not. Im sure Nintendo TRUSTS Sakurai's judgement so adding Banjo/Kazooie MAY push a ton more of sales MAYBE NOT. But Nintendo has to give sakurai the check book for him to purchase these rights. Who knows though how much of a limit is Sakurai on when negotiating 3rd party guests. (especially from a competitors library) Is it different with company? or is there a set limit for REGARDLESS which company? Looking at castlevania Sakurai went all out Characters (2), Big stage, many cameos, and 34 music tracks that we know of concerning content of castlevania. Makes you wonder exactly what he has done for a character that he actually wants in (geno im hoping he goes allllllllll out). For Banjo-Kazooie he will treat them right I know he will. You can't have Banjo-Kazooie without Gruntilda and Spiral Mountain and amazing music that game has. :D Imma copy this to the Geno Thread as well. Good luck to everyone getting their most wanted character in. Banjo- Kazooie is a character I want but my priority is Geno. :D Double reveal BK/Geno omg *drool*
Geno I'm hoping for for the SNES fanboys, Issac for the Game Boy Advance fanboys, and Banjo-Kazooie for me & all the N64 fanboys! Three generations of Nintendo united for Smash!

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I keep saying that the biggest obstacle for B&K is Nintendo because they would be supporting a 'second party' character for a rival company, but the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that it isn't a problem. Snake and Cloud, who are barely represented on Nintendo systems and are more popular as Sony representatives, are in the game, and their affiliation with Nintendo would make you think they had no chance. For me, the chances of Banjo getting in keep getting stronger, especially with the amount of support they will have had with the ballot and the continued support from Phil Spencer.

Just thinking about that, has anyone from RARE said they would be okay with Banjo in Smash?
Cloud and Snake weren’t just more associated with PlayStation, both were actively attached to big PS exclusives when they were announced, MGS4 and FF7 Remake. In a way, both characters were and are ads for other platforms.

I don’t think Sakurai thinks strategically for the greater good of Nintendo with his picks. He just puts in those he thinks are iconic, cool and/or wanted.

Top Bottom