• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
A lot of folks think it would be foolish of Nintendo to bring in Banjo because that would jump start direct competition for Mario on a rival platform. What do the Banjo-Roos think of that hogwash?
By that logic, Sonic of all people should't be in Smash; he was Mario's #1 rival back in ye olden days

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I finally finished my write up for my idea of a trailer if Banjo & Kazooie get in. While I've loved Smash since the 64 days, I've never been good at conceptually grasping the way Smash does moves, and find it had to articulate them--so I'm not sure what moves would work best in Smash, but this was an idea I've had for a while now.

One more thing - Fades to black

CUT TO: Smash characters in their N64 models, as well as retro and new characters re-imagined in N64 models. They're fighting in a bright and colorful, but unknown, field. All of a sudden, fire balls fall from the sky and everyone tries dodging them. We zoom out and it's next to Spiral Mountain! And what's up there? It's Gruntilda! Flying around on her broomstick, cackling, and talking in stupid rhymes!

CUT TO: Banjo sleeping. You hear the commotion coming from outside the window with zany sound effects. Kazooie wakes up and pecks at Banjo. Kazooie tells Banjo they should go investigate the ruckus, while Banjo wants to go back into hibernation for 20 more years. Tootie comes in to plead to Banjo to join the fight, and reluctantly Banjo resigns and gets out of bed. Banjo walks outside, putting his backpack on with Kazooie in it, and the camera pans around them as they're transformed into Ultimate CGI graphics.

BANJO & KAZOOIE: SOARS INTO BATTLE

Kazooie Shoots Eggs at Gruntilda as she's flying around, hitting her in the head causing her to shriek out. Kazooie flies up with Feathery Flap to Gruntilda and pecks at her head using Rat-a-Tat Rap, disorientating her. She makes a sly comment to Kazooie being a bird for brains. Banjo does a Beak Buster sending Gruntilda to the ground. Gruntilda looks up and sees all the Smash characters looking down at her menacingly, Mario pumping his fists, as she tries to run. Kazooie busts out Talon Trot to chase after Gruntilda and uses Wing Whack to send her flying onto the side of her lair.

CUT TO: Gameplay footage of Banjo & Kazooie in various battles showcasing their various moves, finishing on a boss battle with Gruntilda. Banjo & Kazooie use the power of the Jinjos for their final smash, the Jinjonator, unleashing it on Gruntilda.

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE

Post trailer tease: Banjo & Kazooie on the bridge of Spiral Mountain look at Dunk Hunt confused. Kazooie poops out some eggs, and Duck Hunt uses his laughing taunt.
(also it's weird to use a final Smash on a boss character, probably wouldn't happen, but the thought tickles me)

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
The beauty of Smash is that it breaks what are essentially arbitrary community 'rules' as time goes on. Nobody ever could've thought you could play as Sonic kicking Mario's ass in Brawl, or see what was essentially a Playstation stalemate until Twin Snakes in Snake from MGS. It was simply dismissed as head canon and fan fiction up until the point it happened.

Then you get to Smash 4 and suddenly you're seeing Megaman & Pacman show up and what would've once been a conversation between stoners becomes reality seeing Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Megaman in one game. Now throw in Street Fighter and Cloud, an even bigger icon on the playstation and completely out of left field entry even to this point.

Now where to? The mascot fan fictions been covered, and even some insane choices of newcomers that would've been laughed at by most people.

Move to fan picks, in the span of 2 directs the naysayers and gatekeepers of these so called 'rules' were completely blown out of the water with Ridley & K.Rool, dismissed for Smashs entire existance as being 'irrelevant' or 'too big'. Rules are out the window, and they're made to be broken. The next step is fulfilling even more once impossible fan favorites and crossing the lines from not just third party but first party lines. The concepts of 'rivalries' between mainstays of gaming is the next in line to be eradicated.

In Sakurais world, rules don't exist.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I doubt Nintendo is afraid of MS when it comes to platformers... besides... Smash would if anything serve as a Banjo revival so Nintendo would need to worry about Banjo in like 2 years? Maybe? Banjo would probably also come with something else.. aside from selling more Smash copies which benefits Nintendo... Banjo-Kazooie will more than likely appear on the N64 classic.. which again benefits Nintendo... I doubt "competition" is what would keep Banjo out of Smash.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean if all the hype Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter brought didn't convince Rare I'm not sure Smash would make them restart the series.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I have mixed feelings--on the one hand, I do believe both Microsoft and Nintendo would gain something in building up more of a relationship than strictly cross platform on multi-platform games like Minecraft. As has been said, Rare was such an integral part of N64 and it feels empty without Rare games on a N64 Classic. They still could sell a N64 Classic without Rare titles, but it seems odd Nintendo has yet to announce it (if it's even being developed), since usually it's addressed right after E3. That being said, Nintendo can be very finicky and still goes about things backwards at times. That being said, I don't think Nintendo is worried about Banjo competing with Mario--I think they'd believe they have that market cornered. But there is a case to be made that they would not like to advertise exclusive Xbox content, even if it's content they haven't done much within in the past few years.

And I've had a conspiracy theory, that I only half believe, that Microsoft wants to win everyone over next gen, and in doing so is trying to expand their demographic. One of the problems with Microsoft owning Rare is that many of their iconic IPs don't really suit their target demographic (which is why they completely changed Banjo's core mechanics for Nuts & Bolts, though it's odd that they've kidified Conker). It could go as far as loaning out certain IPs, such as Banjo, that suit Nintendo more than Xbox, as well as something like Rare Replay for Switch or Rare on a N64 Classic, while newly announced Rare titles like Battletoads could be exclusively Xbox--would be an incentive for Nintendo gamers to also get into the Xbox ecosystem. It's crazy, probably isn't going to happen due to the mess of negotiating the legal stuff and whether it would be financially beneficial to both parties.

Xbox under Spencer's leadership has definitely changed in a lot of ways from what I've seen, and while he still could have been disingenuous about allowing Banjo in Smash (and he's probably not the only one that has to be on board at Microsoft to make it a reality), but I do think there is an opportunity that benefits Nintendo and Microsoft, if only they're willing to take that step.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There hasn't been too much exclusive collectathon platformers in this day and age. The only one that directly opposes Nintendo is what, Super Lucky's Tale? Even then it's nothing to worry about.

Also, I trust that they might be able to work in T-Rex Banjo and/or Dragon Kazooie somehow. Wonder Wing seems good on paper, but it'd be like if you gave Mario the Starman as his FS.

The beauty of Smash is that it breaks what are essentially arbitrary community 'rules' as time goes on. Nobody ever could've thought you could play as Sonic kicking Mario's *** in Brawl, or see what was essentially a Playstation stalemate until Twin Snakes in Snake from MGS. It was simply dismissed as head canon and fan fiction up until the point it happened.

Then you get to Smash 4 and suddenly you're seeing Megaman & Pacman show up and what would've once been a conversation between stoners becomes reality seeing Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Megaman in one game. Now throw in Street Fighter and Cloud, an even bigger icon on the playstation and completely out of left field entry even to this point.

Now where to? The mascot fan fictions been covered, and even some insane choices of newcomers that would've been laughed at by most people.

Move to fan picks, in the span of 2 directs the naysayers and gatekeepers of these so called 'rules' were completely blown out of the water with Ridley & K.Rool, dismissed for Smashs entire existance as being 'irrelevant' or 'too big'. Rules are out the window, and they're made to be broken. The next step is fulfilling even more once impossible fan favorites and crossing the lines from not just third party but first party lines. The concepts of 'rivalries' between mainstays of gaming is the next in line to be eradicated.

In Sakurais world, rules don't exist.
The only boundaries to break left would be including indies and Western third-parties that are both relevant and not anymore (as long as they were noteworthy enough back then). Sky's the limit.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I have mixed feelings--on the one hand, I do believe both Microsoft and Nintendo would gain something in building up more of a relationship than strictly cross platform on multi-platform games like Minecraft. As has been said, Rare was such an integral part of N64 and it feels empty without Rare games on a N64 Classic. They still could sell a N64 Classic without Rare titles, but it seems odd Nintendo has yet to announce it (if it's even being developed), since usually it's addressed right after E3. That being said, Nintendo can be very finicky and still goes about things backwards at times. That being said, I don't think Nintendo is worried about Banjo competing with Mario--I think they'd believe they have that market cornered. But there is a case to be made that they would not like to advertise exclusive Xbox content, even if it's content they haven't done much within in the past few years.

And I've had a conspiracy theory, that I only half believe, that Microsoft wants to win everyone over next gen, and in doing so is trying to expand their demographic. One of the problems with Microsoft owning Rare is that many of their iconic IPs don't really suit their target demographic (which is why they completely changed Banjo's core mechanics for Nuts & Bolts, though it's odd that they've kidified Conker). It could go as far as loaning out certain IPs, such as Banjo, that suit Nintendo more than Xbox, as well as something like Rare Replay for Switch or Rare on a N64 Classic, while newly announced Rare titles like Battletoads could be exclusively Xbox--would be an incentive for Nintendo gamers to also get into the Xbox ecosystem. It's crazy, probably isn't going to happen due to the mess of negotiating the legal stuff and whether it would be financially beneficial to both parties.

Xbox under Spencer's leadership has definitely changed in a lot of ways from what I've seen, and while he still could have been disingenuous about allowing Banjo in Smash (and he's probably not the only one that has to be on board at Microsoft to make it a reality), but I do think there is an opportunity that benefits Nintendo and Microsoft, if only they're willing to take that step.
Yeah I can kind of see why Microsoft bought Rare out, You need a strong foundation if your going to enter the video game industry and They actually wanted to collaborate (Maybe even buyout) with Nintendo or Sony before they created Xbox, but got denied by both, So they did the next best thing and lured Nintendo's golden goose. Not only did they acquire Rare's entire IP catalog, but it also blocked Nintendo from utlizing them and the Donkey Kong franchise would lose their dedicated development studio. (Triple whammy) Unfortunately for Microsoft they could never capitalize on Rare's games or branding and Halo is what became Xbox's flagship series and kind of shaped their console demographic of shooters, sports and more mature games. I think we can all agree that when we think of Xbox, Banjo-Kazooie and Rare is kind of the last thing that comes to mind and till this day is still mostly associated with Nintendo not to mention most of Rare's games have trouble appealing to Xbox's audience and would of thrived a lot more with Nintendo's audience.

Folt

Smash Ace
Honestly, I still don't really think Banjo's gonna happen despite, or because of, the theories here going uncomfortably close to the conspiracy kind, but God damn if I wouldn't jump for joy and kiss the ground if it happens.

Also, I think Banjo's Final Smash could be more cinematic? Button press shoots them forward with the Wonderwing and anything they hit fall to the ground in a cutscene facing Banjo, crouching his head and out pops Dragon Kazooie who unleashes a massive fire blast scorching the unfortunates.

StormC

Smash Hero
A lot of folks think it would be foolish of Nintendo to bring in Banjo because that would jump start direct competition for Mario on a rival platform. What do the Banjo-Roos think of that hogwash?
Snake was added to Brawl, directly advertising the PS3 exclusive MGS4 that came out several months after, so...

Personally a few years ago I would have assumed Nintendo wouldn't want to cooperate with a direct competitor like Microsoft, but with Minecraft on Nintendo consoles, that's obviously not true anymore.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey all, if Banjo and Kazooie got in, how would you want them referred to on the CSS? Banjo-Kazooie? Banjo and Kazooie? Just Banjo?

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I mean if all the hype Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter brought didn't convince Rare I'm not sure Smash would make them restart the series.
It's true that the Kickstarter brought a lot of hype, but the game itself did quite the opposite. I very much enjoyed the game, and know a lot of people who did, but it had a slew of controversies around it too, from political JonTron controversy, to being pretty unpolished on release, to the Wii U cancellation / Switch delay, and currently the lack of some of the promised backer rewards including the orchestral soundtrack, 64-bit tonic, and DLC.

All this wouldn't affect Banjo in Smash, but could affect Banjo getting a new game in the near-to-distant future. We can only the hope the good press of Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time outweighed it.

Hey all, if Banjo and Kazooie got in, how would you want them referred to on the CSS? Banjo-Kazooie? Banjo and Kazooie? Just Banjo?
Definitely Banjo & Kazooie, or perhaps "Banjo-Kazooie". Naming them just Banjo would be a disservice to them.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's true that the Kickstarter brought a lot of hype, but the game itself did quite the opposite. I very much enjoyed the game, and know a lot of people who did, but it had a slew of controversies around it too, from political JonTron controversy, to being pretty unpolished on release, to the Wii U cancellation / Switch delay, and currently the lack of some of the promised backer rewards including the orchestral soundtrack, 64-bit tonic, and DLC.

All this wouldn't affect Banjo in Smash, but could affect Banjo getting a new game in the near-to-distant future. We can only the hope the good press of Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time outweighed it.

Definitely Banjo & Kazooie, or perhaps "Banjo-Kazooie". Naming them just Banjo would be a disservice to them.
The game itself isn't the problem. The campaign showed fans were foaming at the mouth for a new Rare style platformer and still Rare chose not to capitalize on the momentum the campaign provided. There was no better time than that to announce they would start work on a new Banjo game but they didn't. The current Rare has no interest in a new Banjo game and I doubt Banjo getting in Smash will change that. Unless the IP gets licensed out I don't think we will see a new Banjo game.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The game itself isn't the problem. The campaign showed fans were foaming at the mouth for a new Rare style platformer and still Rare chose not to capitalize on the momentum the campaign provided. There was no better time than that to announce they would start work on a new Banjo game but they didn't. The current Rare has no interest in a new Banjo game and I doubt Banjo getting in Smash will change that. Unless the IP gets licensed out I don't think we will see a new Banjo game.
Yeah, I am equally doubtful of any Banjo game unless Microsoft ever decides to give up the rights. I'm just saying any potential hype and draw the Kickstarter gave that might have given them cause to consider it down the line was then possibly cancelled out by the controversies at launch.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean I suppose that's possible but it's not very likely. The demand was still there even if some people didn't find what they were looking for in Yooka Laylee.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I prefer Banjo & Kazooie when officially referring to the characters, Banjo-Kazooie when referring to the game, Banjo when just casually talking about them.

StormC

Smash Hero
Definitely Banjo-Kazooie, with the hyphen. Sorta like a Duck Hunt type of deal.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Banjo-Kazooie, for sure. I heard, who was it... Alex from NintendoLife? Commenting on everybody saying "Banjo-Kazooie" as if they were saying it wrong, suggesting they should be saying "Banjo and Kazooie", but that's missing the point. The name "Banjo-Kazooie" doesn't just refer to the title of the game, but it refers to the notion of two different characters as one. And Banjo and Kazooie together, acting as a single unit, simply just makes 'Banjo-Kazooie'.

So that's how I've always seen it, and would prefer 'Banjo-Kazooie' on the CSS and announcement trailer and everything. Yeah, sorta like 'Duck Hunt' represents the team of the dog, the duck, and the shooter.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I love how you brought up something so minor that even I have thought about it from time to time, I personally would prefer Banjo & Kazooie since they are still seperate characters working as a teag team and technicaly the franchise is called Banjo-Kazooie ,but the title name does roll the tongue a little faster, but you can't really go wrong with either.

(Side note) Pokemon is probably my all time favorite video game franchise and judging from your profile pic, I bet your pulling for Lycanroc right? I also think he makes the most sense as a Gen 7 rep for Ultimate ,both are great choices ,but I think I would give it's midnight form a slight edge, but it would be a nice change of pace to see another quad fighter than bipedal.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be honest, they should pull one thing (but only one thing) from Nuts and Bolts, and that's the extended grab from the wrench in that game. They could just have a normal grab, but it is the one and only thing to pull from that game that would translate well into Smash. I doubt anybody would want a vehicle system over laying and firing eggs, Shock Jumping, Beak Bombs, Rat-a-Tap Raps, even the Pack Attack. And judging by King K. Rool, I imagine that he would play most similarly to his collect-a-thon platformers than his, well, most recent game, shall we say.

If Banjo is running, should he switch to Kazooie and Talon Trot or just run like normal characters? Also, they should be called by their combined names. Rosy is called "Rosalina and Luma" and people don't mind Luma getting billing.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Banjo & Kazooie definitely. They are a pair so calling them just banjo is almost as insulting as nuts and bolts. I prefer to use the term banjo-kazooie for the game exclusively, I mean the two are not fused together even though it feels like it half the time.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
While I do want Banjo and Kazooie in the game, are we sure Nintendo and Microsoft are truly chummy?

Like, it's easy to say they're on good terms. But that could probably have less to do with each other and more of the fact that Sony's view on cross platforming is utterly laughable and despised. There's Minecraft, but that could easily be explained that they were under contract to have Switch/PS4 versions of the games before the buyout.

StormC

Smash Hero
While I do want Banjo and Kazooie in the game, are we sure Nintendo and Microsoft are truly chummy?

Like, it's easy to say they're on good terms. But that could probably have less to do with each other and more of the fact that Sony's view on cross platforming is utterly laughable and despised. There's Minecraft, but that could easily be explained that they were under contract to have Switch/PS4 versions of the games before the buyout.
Banjo is already in Switch Minecraft. Smash isn't a big leap from that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Banjo & Kazooie makes the most sense to me. (though I guess Banjo Kazooie also makes sense to a degree, though it would kind of annoy me in the same way "Duck Hunt" bothers me in that it's more of a game name than a character name)

It is kind of annoying when people just refer to them as "Banjo". They are actually a duo you know. Kazooie would like not to be forgotten. :p

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

[/QUOTE Yeah It's one thing to be on it as a skin for a multiplatform game though owned by Microsoft now, but I think it's the idea of Banjo-Kazooie actually interacting and fighting with 1st Party Nintendo Characters in the same screen is pushing it to the next level legal terms wise from a "rival" (even though they don't really consider themselves that) ,but I hope I'm wrong for the duo's sake.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah It's one thing to be on it as a skin for a multiplatform game though owned by Microsoft now, but I think it's the idea of Banjo-Kazooie actually interacting and fighting with 1st Party Nintendo Characters in the same screen is pushing it to the next level legal terms wise from a "rival" (even though they don't really consider themselves that) ,but I hope I'm wrong for the duo's sake.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Banjo & Kazooie makes the most sense to me. (though I guess Banjo Kazooie also makes sense to a degree, though it would kind of annoy me in the same way "Duck Hunt" bothers me in that it's more of a game name than a character name)

It is kind of annoying when people just refer to them as "Banjo". They are actually a duo you know. Kazooie would like not to be forgotten. :p
She'd exhaust her vocabulary of insults if she saw how often it happens on the Internet. Whenever I see it happen, my mind hears her colorful language being as merciless as ever.

StormC

Smash Hero

Banjo is just quicker to say, so I use it as a shorthand sometimes. You say "BK" and that could mean Banjo-Kazooie, Black Knight, or Burger King.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All I want if Banjo and Kazooie make it in is for them to have a victory animation of them using their banjo and kazoo. Also one for jiggy collection and music note bows.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

All I want if Banjo and Kazooie make it in is for them to have a victory animation of them using their banjo and kazoo. Also one for jiggy collection and music note bows.
Somethings are so perfect and obvious, like how their Franchise logo or icon for their character and HUD is the the Jiggy/ Puzzle Piece ,Breegull Bash just has to be their Side Smash I would kill to see Banjo Slamming Kazooie down like hammer, Pack Whack makes a lot of sense for their Down Smash Banjo Spins his backpack in a 360 degree spin hitting opponents left and right, you can copy and past their movest into Smash it's like they were literally made for this game.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know Sakurai said there would be 103 stages, but I kinda hope that's not the true final amount for the base game and somehow we end up with a Spiral Mountain level at the very least. Something for Shantae too.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I know Sakurai said there would be 103 stages, but I kinda hope that's not the true final amount for the base game and somehow we end up with a Spiral Mountain level at the very least. Something for Shantae too.
Considering he also told us about music but we DAMN well know we will get more music with newcomers as it always happens, i think it would be just as safe to assume the stage number can increase too. It all depends if he is willing to give the same treatment to every newcomer or just some of them.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it since they can clearly fit 6 more stages on the stage selection. Plus there's still the mystery revolving the potential Monster Hunter stage. They can't really reveal any third party stages as it would spoil the inclusion of the fighter.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Similar to Geno, Banjo & Kazooie would be a pick that I never actively supported because I didn’t think they could happen. I’ve always loved the games, and believe they’re the closest thing to a Nintendo character that ISN’T owned by Nintendo.

Given the Ballot, I would absolutely love to see them. While i’m cautiously optimistic (don’t want to get my hopes up too much, you know), I am totally a supporter of the dynamic duo to make a surprise return to Nintendo through Smash. It would just absolutely be 1000% awesome.

Let’s hope we see some Sakurai-magic and they make a return this December!

Top Bottom