• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e5qpg45/

A leaker who leaked info and characters from Samurai Spirits made a post a while ago about Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ. His Dragon Ball info was just confirmed in a magazine today.

Obviously there is still a chance he had lucky guesses and his Smash info is just piggybacking, but man, it's painful still.
It's literally the Dante leak all over again. When are people gonna understand that there is NO SOURCE in this world, other than maybe ESRB, that can know info on TWO completely different games? You can get infio right in one game and then say something totally fake about another and that obviously won't make you a 100% trustworthy leaker, but a real leaker that likes to troll at the same time. Dante leak might have been right about DMC itself, and this guy might have been right about DBFZ itself, but there is no way such sources can know at the same time about Smash. That's why vergeben's sources on other games have been wrong and not the ones in smash, because they-are-different-sources.

TL;DR: these leakers can be right about one game, but the moment they mix their leak regarding one game with another different game at the same time, I lose complete interest there. There's no way someone has info like that, unless you work for ESRB or something. It's super easy to wrap up one truth with tons of lies around it. Leakers aren't necessarily saint people, they can be trolls too. Don't bite on leaks like this too hard guys.

Last edited:

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Mmm. Pretty sure that’s fake. You don’t have to worry.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e5qpg45/

A leaker who leaked info and characters from Samurai Spirits made a post a while ago about Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ. His Dragon Ball info was just confirmed in a magazine today.

Obviously there is still a chance he had lucky guesses and his Smash info is just piggybacking, but man, it's painful still.
The Android 17 thing isn't that proving since he was datamined to be included from months ago

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Plus that guy said nothing new that Vergeben hasn't said already... he's literally piggy backing off of him.. I said it once and I say it again I doubt Sakurai would choose a Minecraft character over Banjo and if he does that's the biggest misstep he's done in Ultimate....

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I can just point out that while Isaac and Geno are my most requested picks, Banjo and Kazooie is my #3 most wanted for this game. I think they just might make it. To have all 3 in the game as playable characters would be the dream for me. I would never ask sakurai for anything ever again.
All three are in my optimistic predictions (Incineroar, Isaac, B&K, Geno), and I feel like they might have a good chance. :) One issue I can see is if the roster is much more limited than I suspect, given how close we're getting to release, there is a strong possibility that Geno/Banjo are superficially similar (e.g., retro characters highly requested since Melee owned by third parties despite strong ties with Nintendo history) and if one gets in but not the other, I suspect it's Geno, especially given his Mii Costume in Smash 4. I have hope for all three, though.

I have said it before earlier in the year and I will say it again, I don't see the N64 Classic Edition coming out this year, Doesn't mean that it can I just don't see it happening (It's getting pretty late in the year for announcements too), The second Nintendo announced the return of the NES for late June, I imagined that it would probably push the N64 to 2019.

Reasons:

1. Oversaturation and Timing

With the SNES having been out since holiday of 2017, and Bringing back the NES after more than a year due to popular demand, Nintendo said they would double down on stock and sell them at the least until the end of 2018 and with both being out in the open market for a while, much easier to get this time around too the demand has died down for them, maybe during the holidays they will get a boost ,but I'm sure Nintendo will retire them at the end of the year or early 2019, They don't really have a reason to push the N64 and clutter the market with 3 options on the shelf when they can sell the remaining NES and SNES, Not to mention they have bigger fish to fry this holiday with their 2 heavy hitters this holiday season with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Switch.

2. N64 Library and Rareware

While the NES and SNES had big library's with their 1st Party offerings and a lot of their usual Japanese 3rd Party developers releasing games on both consoles, The N64 lacked 3rd Party support and was heavily reliant on Nintendo's 1st Party and Rareware's 2nd Party carrying the load throughout this generation, While it is possible to release an N64 without any of Rareware's titles, The overabundance of Mario titles will be more apparent and the console will have a weaker and decimated lineup overall without them, I don't see all of Rare's games making it in the N64 Classic, But the ones that made an impact will make it on their if they can work a deal with Microsoft. I can definitely see Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie headling since they were Rare's biggest original IP during the N64 era, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 is a given since Nintendo owns the rights, But thought I should mention it since it's another Rare game, Nintendo would like to stay away from Conkers Bad Fur Day as far as possible and Goldeneye 007 is a mess of licenses that they will probably not even bother so I can see Perfect Dark as a replacement ,But that depends if Nintendo wants to fill in the FPS void in the lineup ,But also keep the system no higher than a T rating since Perfect Dark is rated M so that game is a maybe.

1.Banjo-Kazooie
2.Banjo-Tooie
3.Diddy Kong Racing
4.Donkey Kong 64
5.Perfect Dark

3. Nintendo 64 Emulation and Hardware

Unlike the NES and SNES, N64 games (while certainly possible) are harder to emulate and they might still need time to work the stuff out, Nintendo rarely rereleases N64 titles, they did an ok job putting out some during the Wii era ,but barely did anything with them on the Wii U and while NES/SNES games aged better, are simpler and are easy to pick up and play, Some N64 3D games didn't aged as well and aren't as practical and lastly I would imagine the recreation of the N64 Controller would need some tweaks with the Control Stick maybe model it after the Gamecube stick or use better material to prevent grinding and wear and tear, Not to mention they would have to strategize pricing for the console,controllers and bundles which without a doubt will make the N64 their most expensive Classic Edition yet.

Announcement and Release Window

I can probably see Nintendo making an announcement ,But holding off until next year for release or announce it late Spring or Early Summer next year like the other 2 consoles and release it sometime in the Fall or Holiday season or who knows maybe they announce it this Fall or Winter for early next year during the slow months when games releases are far and fewer in between, But that's my take on the N64 Classic Edition and it's inevitable release.
I agree with a lot of that, particularly it's getting too close to the end of the year without an announcement. That being said, I'm going off based on it being heavily rumored to still be this year--but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been delayed, or even never existed. My hope is that since Nintendo doesn't gain much from adding Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, a deal to allow Rare titles on a N64 Classic could work in exchange. The NES Classic was a novelty, and SNES Classic had Star Fox 2 as an exclusive deal. I would think Nintendo would want something to incentivize people to a N64 Classic, and including Rareware titles for the first time on a Nintendo platform in a decade would certainly do that. Anecdotally, I haven't been interested in their Classic line, and if a N64 Classic came without Rare titles, I have no reason to get it, as I can play my favorites on the Wii U for much cheaper--but I would if I could play Rare titles on Nintendo again (outside of DK64).

And if Rare titles are included, I'm not sure it'll be as much as I would hope for. There seems to be less and less games for the Classics line-up, and I could see a N64 Classic maybe coming with only 10-ish games. I feel like Banjo & Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing are the top picks (the original DKR, as Nintendo didn't have the rights to use Banjo or Conker in their DS version). I'd love Banjo-Tooie, though I feel like only Nintendo's biggest names tend to get the multiple game per franchise treatment (i.e., Mario, Zelda, Pokemon). And I don't see it being feasible for M-rated games such as Conker or Perfect Dark, and for added licensing issues, unfortunately, Goldeneye, despite it being one of the most popular and best-selling N64 titles. If we get Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, that's enough for me to be satisfied. It just seems like the perfect time for a N64 Classic with Rare titles, even if that means waiting til next year.

With the most recent leak that got further confirmation today, and is incredibly dire and heartwrenching, it still doesn't deconfirm Banjo. There's still a chance for him, but man, the idea of Sakurai picking Steve over Banjo would be a game killer.

Good luck guys, I really hope Banjo makes it in someway, somehow.
Yeah, could just be a Loz situation where they knew something (or got lucky guess in the case of the 4chan leaker) and then decided to go crazy with stuff they didn't know about. I think the chance of Sakurai choosing Steve over Banjo & Kazooie is minuscule--Banjo & Kazooie have the iconic status with Nintendo, they have the moves, the settings/characters/music, they have been requested since Melee and were one of the most popular third parties in 2015 during the Smash ballot, and Minecraft works so much better as a stage, as it's the world people recognize most. I just can't see it happening.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sakurai picking Steve over Banjo & Kazooie would be the stupidest thing he’d ever done. No ifs ands or buts.

Of course Sakurai is smarter than that so I call BS on the leak since there’s no source as others say.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. That "leak" is clearly someone looking for attention. They speak incredibly cocky and don't hold back on cursing/insults, while they literally only repeat stuff we've heard many times. The only thing unique is their insistence on Steve being a character which is just the kind of thing you'd say if you wanted a large reaction from the community. I have no faith in them lol

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
The only way I can see Steve getting in the base game over Banjo is if all this Minecraft content is part of the deal between Microsoft and NIntendo and the other part of the deal is to let Banjo be DLC

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The thought of Steve makes me straight up wince. I have yet to see or hear someone in the community vocalizing their desire for him, either. There's plenty to pull from for a move set I guess, but, it would not be interesting in my mind. (inb4 Steve uses Down-B to cycle through all 40 Minecraft materials lol.) Not to mention, while certain dated art styles can possess this unique aesthetic in Smash, (G&W) I can't see a Minecraft character looking any way but hideous. Just imagining his running animation kind of hurts my heart.

If you really want Steve and I'm over here digging on him, my apologies aha. I just don't think the character would get much hype at all. It's Banjo or no Microsoft IP at all, for me. Nobody else deserves it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Sakurai picking Steve over Banjo & Kazooie would be the stupidest thing he’d ever done. No ifs ands or buts.

Of course Sakurai is smarter than that so I call BS on the leak since there’s no source as others say.
Everything I know about Sakurai (which to be fair isn't a lot, I don't know him personally :p) tells me he would choose Banjo & Kazooie over Steve as a playable character. I also would imagine Sakurai is well aware of the gaming landscape, he'll know what Banjo & Kazooie getting in would mean to people.

From his interviews you can tell he values characters that have a lot of fan demand (like Cloud for example) and I really doubt Steve or Minecraft had a significant push behind them in the ballot. (not saying they didn't have people voting for them, but I'd bet money it paled in comparison to the amount of votes Banjo & Kazooie received)

I don't think Minecraft will be getting a stage. I'll go on the record to say it'll be getting the Monster Hunter treatment. That is, an assist trophy and also a level/world in adventure mode. (Spirits) Along with typical stuff like trophies and music.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I will probably throw up if Steve makes it over Banjo-Kazooie, I would hate to call Sakurai out since he's already going all out for us and I would hate to for us to be pissed off at him and be compared to the annoying part of the Waluigi fanbase that are in denial and harassing Sakurai, But It will make me question his decision and ask "Why?" I'm not going to protest and not buy the game, It's freaking Smash I'm buying this game day 1 , Plus I still have K.Rool to look forward to, I'm going to play the hell out of it no matter what and it's one of my all time favorite video game series ,But deep down I will still be pissed off if it did happen.

I still don't buy this rumor at all, I honestly can't see Steve being chosen over Banjo-Kazooie, I really can't, Banjo-Kazooie are too perfect of a fit for this game they blend in right with the roster and you can literally copy and paste their movesets from both games as if they were made for Smash, It would be a big missed oppurtunity, Steve's aesthetics and animations would look so unappealing, even Mr. Game & Watch has more personality than him , I see Minecraft representation as a trophy, maybe a stage that is unless Microsoft is allowed no more than 1 stage, Banjo-Kazooie gets a stage and Minecraft gets a trophy.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't panic just yet. If Steve actually does end up in Smash, it's important to see the bigger picture. Yes, it would suck if we got Minecraft representation and nothing Banjo-Kazooie. However, if this happens that does mean Nintendo can allow Microsoft IPs in Smash. Even if Banjo doesn't end up in the base game, don't lose hope. Keep your voices heard, because if Steve gets in then that's a one argument against Banjo's inclusion out the window.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The Microsoft characters that should get in by priority.

1. Banjo and Kazooie
2. Other Rare characters that were once owned by Nintendo like Joanna and Conker
3. Master Chief

4. Steve

If Sakurai is working with Microsoft I can only see him getting Banjo/Kazooie and Master Chief based on his criteria and all of his other third party picks. Steve isn't associated with Nintendo like Banjo/Kazooie and he isn't an iconic (creepers are what MC is known for, not Steve) character that carry game history like Master Chief.

I can see Minecraft getting a stage, but not a character.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo Kazooie AND Steve are in the base game! Great!

Banjo Kazooie is in the base and Steve is DLC? Cool!

Steve is in the base game, and Banjo Kazooie are nowhere to be found until DLC?

I'm gonna be upset. Yeah, Steve is more iconic, sure, but we didn't get :ultryu: before :ultmegaman: (Ryu being Capcoms more famous character), now did we? Steve could easily be DLC if all the Vergeben leaks turn out to be true, but Mine Craft comes with a Creeper or Ghast AT but no Steve. Maybe some backstage negotiations prevent Banjo being in the game at first, but to be that tone deaf for both parties would be baffling. It would go against all of Ultimate's full on newcomers we've gotten so far. All 5 new characters, even Inklings and Isablelle(May not be as popular or old as :ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon:, but still very popular in thier own right) are all highly requested. I'm all for Steve being a playable fighter, but we need Banjo and Kazooie before we talk Mine Craft. (But if we had it my way, we'd talk Banjo Kazooie, then Master Chief, THEN Steve. But that's not how the world works, so what're you gonna do)

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I’m so scared seeing all these new “Leaks” that don’t have Banjo.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah but k rool fans would be saying the same thing with k rool not in any leaks but here he is

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It would be so tight to see Mumbo Jumbo as an assist trophy. He could work as simply as affecting the size or speed of everybody until being KO'd. Or he could turn everyone into a washing machine, lol. Easily the one I would be hoping for, if the series were getting its own AT.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I wouldn't panic just yet. If Steve actually does end up in Smash, it's important to see the bigger picture. Yes, it would suck if we got Minecraft representation and nothing Banjo-Kazooie. However, if this happens that does mean Nintendo can allow Microsoft IPs in Smash. Even if Banjo doesn't end up in the base game, don't lose hope. Keep your voices heard, because if Steve gets in then that's a one argument against Banjo's inclusion out the window.
So what your trying to say is... You gotta believe !!!

I'm sorry I saw your profile icon and I just had to.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't want him over Banjo; but honestly taking him out of the picture, I'd have zero problem with Steve. Sakurai could have a field day with someone like him.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Alright we got a small leak that suggests we got Banjo. Nice. See, all yall had to do is wait a bit and whalla, a dodgy unverifiable leak of our very own. I'll take it!

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It’s just some game journalist probably talking out of his ***. Don’t get your hopes up boys. Be cautious.

Even if he does have word of there being some sort of Banjo news, it could literally just be an update on that figurine shown off in July.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've never been convinced that Banjo Kazooie would be in the base game to be honest. The whole Microsoft situation always felt like it was a much more complicated mine field of issues in terms of returning true Rare own characters to the fold than I think a lot of us know. Add to that the possibility of Banjo Kazooie becoming much more reasonable in people's minds once people heard Phil Spencer's Tweet and the general fervor has only increased since then as that possibility has lingered. It's entirely possible, in my mind at least, that Sakurai didn't initially conceive of them as part of the base roster but decided to consider them later as the demand just became too much for him to ignore. If they ever do indeed make it in to the game, I do hope that we all take the time to recognize the likely large amount of legal hoops that Sakurai went through to include them, and if they aren't I'd suspect that they are the prime reasons as to why he didn't make it.

ALL OF THAT SAID. There is no reason Steve should ever get into Smash before Banjo Kazooie. I know Mojang and Minecraft kind of exist in their own realm of Microsoft, and thus they may be easier to deal with as opposed to the more internal Microsoft that Banjo likely belongs to. If Sakurai went as far as to make things happen with Mojang, there isn't much reason for him to not go even further towards achieving who have arguably become the most desired newcomers for Smash (They practically destroy every poll I see them in these days, Geno and Isaac have the long term game going for them, but Banjo Kazooie just seem to trump them at every turn these days despite their popularity).

Maybe if Steve was the only character realizable I could understand that inclusion (I.E. Microsoft/Nintendo reject a playable Banjo). Even then though, I'd imagine Sakurai knows the backlash he faces for not including them. There is going to be a much bigger backlash from that then practically any other newcomer situation I can imagine at this point (Base game or DLC). That's the sort of PR situation I'd imagine both he and Nintendo want to avoid.

Minecraft is big, that's a fact, but I dislike how people use that as a justification as to why Steve deserves/has a better shot at the roster than Banjo. People seem to use the "literal who" argument with Banjo nowadays, and I can't believe that in the least bit. One of the faces of the N64 era, with two of the most well regarded 3D platformers of all time under their belt that scream peak nostalgia of the N64 crowd is not going to ever belong to that category. Banjo has the much greater connection to Nintendo, and as a part of Nintendo history, Banjo is always going to be the best pick from potential Microsoft reps. I doubt Steve got much support on the ballot, and people seem actually opposed to his inclusion as a concept. I see Minecraft in Smash with maybe a Creeper assist trophy, but not a playable character.

I want to eat my words on Banjo not being in the base Ultimate roster, I NEVER want to eat them regarding Steve. End of rant.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Watch him announce that plushie that we are getting in October from Gamestop and acting like we didn't already know about it's future release.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
He tweeted just now that some composer says they might just have to make a sequel for the fans... lol.

Kind of disheartening news honestly. I always thought of Microsoft's disinterest with the series as a pro for their chances.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If there is a sequel, they better use their classic designs, or take from them.

I mean, I'll take whatever, and the N&B designs aren't that bad imo, but they're no where near as good as their original selves.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I doubt it’s Smash, unless it’s a leak that’s somewhat viable....

That said, it’s most likely the official announcement of the plush.

But you never know....

EDIT: Never mind, just a tweet about a possible sequel.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I read the full article. Basically just someone who worked for Rare talking about how he thinks the series could get an installment but can't see Rare being the ones doing it. Perfectly fine considering all of the original developers are long gone, unless I'm mistaken.

Not really news if you ask me. I think he just preceded the interview with a tweet about Banjo-Kazooie news knowing it would rile us up.

Kinda lame if you ask me, especially considering I can't see anyone making a sequel that holds up. Oh well.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I read the full article. Basically just someone who worked for Rare talking about how he thinks the series could get an installment but can't see Rare being the ones doing it. Perfectly fine considering all of the original developers are long gone, unless I'm mistaken.

Not really news if you ask me. I think he just preceded the interview with a tweet about Banjo-Kazooie news knowing it would rile us up.

Kinda lame if you ask me, especially considering I can't see anyone making a sequel that holds up. Oh well.
So pretty much what we have been thinking and saying for years and the usual PR talk they will potentiality revist the franchise in the future, Sounds like the guy was just fishing for attention, classic clickbait.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Honestly any news about Banjo Kazooie is good news.

Also most of the old Rare staff is under the guise of Playtonic who created Yooka-Laylee.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
So pretty much what we have been thinking and saying for years and the usual PR talk they will potentiality revist the franchise in the future, Sounds like the guy was just fishing for attention, classic clickbait.
Definetely. Even mentioned that people want them in Smash in his introduction. Dirty journalism... My heart is more fragile than you think.

Honestly any news about Banjo Kazooie is good news.

Also most of the old Rare staff is under the guise of Playtonic who created Yooka-Laylee.
Once again, I have trouble calling this news. And with Playtonic being as small of a studio they are, I can't see them being the ones who would hypothetically get ahold of the series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom