• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
We weren't saying Banjo wasn't, as a Banjo fan I don't see why anyone would say he isn't iconic, since he's definitely Rare's icon and an icon of early Nintendo.
I never said anything about that?

I'm kindly suggesting the off topic discussion be brought to where it's on topic.

It's mildly annoying to see Steve every other time I'm checking in on the Banjo thread.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I never said anything about that?

I'm kindly suggesting the off topic discussion be brought to where it's on topic.

It's mildly annoying to see Steve every other time I'm checking in on the Banjo thread.
ah, I just misunderstood.

yeah it's off-topic, Steve was just brought up again so a few of us who are fans of both just wanted to discuss how Steve could work and stuff...since that was questioned and Sakurai was brought into it...but it just lead to both sides having bad feelings ._.

though I do now wish people who wonder how Steve would work could ask/discuss on Steve's thread.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So in my attepmt to get off this banjo vs Steve discussion. What do you guys want in ver. 3.00? New modes, spirits, ext?

Personally I want some buffs. Specially buff my boy Ridley.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This was discovered by the Shantae thread and I wanted opinions here?

So...
A. Mistake (it happens)
B. Something cut
C. Actual announcement planned?
D. SneakyLink is over analyzing this
E. There is no E

so guys, is cuphead being on switch the "mario on ps4" level reveal that was teased earlier (i forget who but i def saw it on this thread)? I was kinda hoping for something bigger. I never played cuphead so i'm excited to try it out bc it looks to be right up my alley, but i hope theres something a bit bigger down the pike. Likening cuphead to mario just because he's exclusive is a bit dishonest imo.
Apparently Kingzell (the guy who made the claim) is clarifying that no, Cuphead on Switch isn’t the “Mario on PlayStation” thing he was referring to. So there’s more to come boys

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

So...
A. Mistake (it happens)
B. Something cut
E. There is no E
F. Kirby is confirmed for smash

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

So...
A. Mistake (it happens)
B. Something cut
E. There is no E
Question is, what does something Kirby and Smash related tie in with the indies showcase? I'm going with C. We are very due for a Smash announcement.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Apparently Kingzell (the guy who made the claim) is clarifying that no, Cuphead on Switch isn’t the “Mario on PlayStation” thing he was referring to. So there’s more to come boys
Hoo-boy. Even though I wouldn’t think Banjo-Kazooie coming to Switch would be on the same level as “Mario on PlayStation”, I’m hoping whatever big thing gets announced with Nintendo and Microsoft leads into that.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Hoo-boy. Even though I wouldn’t think Banjo-Kazooie coming to Switch would be on the same level as “Mario on PlayStation”, I’m hoping whatever big thing gets announced with Nintendo and Microsoft leads into that.
My guess is master chief collection on switch

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

So...
A. Mistake (it happens)
B. Something cut
E. There is no E
There's no way they were going to show anything before the blowout for 3.0.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
There's no way they were going to show anything before the blowout for 3.0.
Looking back at it I think it was a mistake since the Smash open is going on. Probably something mixed and they cut the stream.

I think Banjo on Switch/Banjo in Smash is just another thing we can probably expect out of this whole partnership

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
My guess is master chief collection on switch
It feels like a port of a pretty old Halo collection isn't THAT mind-blowing, especially when it's a logical assumption after a big announcement like Cuphead (and with MCC coming to Switch).

I feel like it's something else.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If MCC gets on Switch...

I’d be okay with that honestly. Especially if they include ODST and Reach.
That would be telling how close MS and Nintendo are. It's one thing to share a few indie titles, but halo on switch...
Halo is basically microsoft's mario.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It feels like a port of a pretty old Halo collection isn't THAT mind-blowing, especially when it's a logical assumption after a big announcement like Cuphead (and with MCC coming to Switch).

Halo Infinite on Switch natively.

With Banjo as a playable Spartan.

BZocky

Smash Ace

I wish we get some encouraging news or the next DLC announcement. The wait is definitely getting to everyone.
i'd say Microsoft putting Cuphead on Switch and Nintendo referring to Microsoft as their friend is pretty damn encouraging. The only reason why they went back to Steve was he was mentioned again for no reason.
Anywho, who else is hyped for 3.0.0?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I suspect this will differ somewhat from the reaction should it come to fruition.

I mean it's getting the leading IP of a longtime competitor on your system.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I suspect this will differ somewhat from the reaction should it come to fruition.

Maybe if Halo Infinite was announced or something. I dunno if some fairly old ports in a collection is bigger than Cuphead all things considered.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If MS is willing to let friggin halo, their cash cow, their golden boy, one of the first thing that comes to mind when you hear "Xbox", on the switch. Then there is no reason why they would draw the line at rare games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe if Halo Infinite was announced or something. I dunno if some fairly old ports in a collection is bigger than Cuphead all things considered.
Well it would be the biggest IP owned by a direct competitor crossing over since Sonic came to Nintendo. And unlike then, the majority of the series would come all at once. And yeah Cuphead's newer, but, with nothing against it, it's just a successful MS-backed indie game. Halo is one of the most seminal IPs in the industry, the audience is many times that of Cuphead's (even MCC's is larger), and Master Chief is/was basically a rival mascot.

But if you still disagree we can table it until if and when there's proof.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief Collection would still be a pretty big deal, definitely bigger than Cuphead. MCC is literally Xbox's headlining franchise and it being on switch would be a huge deal

I dunno guys, I feel like with Cuphead coming to Switch, and rumors of other Microsoft IP like Ori and Master Chief Collection coming to Switch... this idea that “Steve has to be the Microsoft rep” or “Master Chief has to be the Microsoft rep” just seems even less relevant. Microsoft is benefiting enough from bringing these entire games from their catalog to the Switch, I don’t see any reason they couldn’t throw the Smash community a bone by finally allowing Banjo in Smash. It would hype people up just as much as announcing Cuphead for Switch or MCC for Switch, etc. If anything, adding Banjo to Smash rather than some other IP that’s already been brought over to Switch would further this relationship even more

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I dunno guys, I feel like with Cuphead coming to Switch, and rumors of other Microsoft IP like Ori and Master Chief Collection coming to Switch... this idea that “Steve has to be the Microsoft rep” or “Master Chief has to be the Microsoft rep” just seems even less relevant. Microsoft is benefiting enough from bringing these entire games from their catalog to the Switch, I don’t see any reason they couldn’t throw the Smash community a bone by finally allowing Banjo in Smash. It would hype people up just as much as announcing Cuphead for Switch or MCC for Switch, etc. If anything, adding Banjo to Smash rather than some other IP that’s already been brought over to Switch would further this relationship even more
I'm more worried about Nintendo and sakurai than I am about ms

Nintendo have been involved in all of these other Microsoft-related decisions, what makes this any different? They’ve gotta be completely aware of the demand for Banjo and realize how happy it would make fans to put him in Smash

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

So...
A. Mistake (it happens)
B. Something cut
E. There is no E
Finally Kirby is in! We did it boys!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I know it's been said to death and I sound like a broken record, But...

I'm sure both sides are aware of Banjo-Kazooie's heavy demand, Nintendo/Sakurai have gotten poll results from the ballot which seems like they were a top request or did very well, Also a "Small Advantage" that I believe Banjo-Kazooie has is that since they were owned by Nintendo at one point before they can understand why Nintendo fans still have a strong attatchment with the franchise)

Microsoft/Phil Spencer are aware of the demand for the franchise to be revived and for their inclusion in Smash based on Phil's numerous responses to fans on tweers and interviews and both companies have been collaborating in numerious fronts suchs as Xbox Live intergration and Crossplay.

It takes 2 to tango and everythings apperantly is falling into place to address the big elephant in the room that is BK and Rare.

If both sides want this to happen then the time for action is now.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai's design stuffs support Steve imo if he actually imagines how he could make Steve work and show emotion with the pixels on his face...which he could do. Really this stuff is just based on opinion, some people will think it looks good while others can't fathom it. There are these animations someone made which seem pretty good but could probably use some touch-ups here and there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZdPMvPGv8

And I don't get why the Minecraft fanbase is labeled as cringe, I can say the same thing about how a lot of people act in Smash's fanbase and others. I get that Microsoft markets it for kids, but that seems unfair imo and also rather rude (though I would prefer if they kept to a family-friendly approach, like Mojang themselves do...as in, attracting the whole family instead of one part of it).

Now, I don't care whether anyone likes or dislikes Steve, these two things just tend to nag at me.

You say debunked as if no one has given points for the opposite.
Minecraft gets a bad rap for its fan base just because of numbers alone. It's so big that you're invariably going to have more bad apples than most other games because of the sheer quantity of people playing it. Additionally, it's very much a "kids" game to many people and lots of kids have adopted the game as one of their primary entertainers, whether that be the game itself or the YouTube communities. That said, having had younger family members watch Minecraft content, I will say some of those more kid-friendly and focused content providers are INCREDIBLY annoying, so that's where a lot of people probably get cringe from.

I don't really understand why the 3 or 4 people who keep bringing Steve up don't just go revive the dead Steve thread.
I didn't come back to the Banjo thread specifically to talk about Steve (And I know you're not accusing me specifically, I just wanted to respond to this comment), but he's a natural part of the greater Microsoft rep discussion. I know that annoys some fans to no end, but the discussion surrounding choices and people highlighting their own considerations of who has a chance and for what isn't a slight on the character thread and is just additional discussion. I've been in the Geno thread long enough to see this same comment pop-up all the time. When people start to discuss other characters who are relevant in the greater discussion of a third party or are supposedly competing, people start to get very territorial and demand that discussion focus upon the main character of the support thread.

I don't see why that constantly needs to be criticized. It's one thing if you're actively pushing the fans or criticizing the character in question (AKA, someone calling others delusional for supporting a character or the like), then yes, that's a problem. Bringing up a "related" character in discussion is just another off topic conversation that tends to happen in most threads and naturally Microsoft characters are going to share a discussion to some degree like Square Enix characters will. People just like engaging in those communities and talking to the people in those communities most of the time because it gives them the ability to talk with people who aren't as harsh as outside of this site at times.

Additionally, threads with those same supposedly competing characters will sometimes criticize those same other choices and I think that doesn't really resonate with people who enjoy specific characters or support potentially both or all those involved. The criticism of Steve or whoever will inevitably invite his same supporters to take an extra beat and may decide to defend another character, especially when you've got a comment like this that denies their agency in having just a regular discussion related to Steve;

Ah it was revived a few days ago. Cool, now you all have no excuses to keep trolling in the Banjo thread.
I definitely understand that Banjo falls into the category of facing major criticism from parts of the community and people are being tired of told Steve is in, but I don't think that I see a whole lot to indicate that's what is going on here. SmashBoards on the whole has relatively little trolling and the moderators do a good job of policing the more major issues to keep the community a bit cleaner and more available to users.

I just don't see the need to constantly call people out for discussing what, to many people at least, is an absolutely a related character in a greater discussion of what Nintendo might do or decide upon and why. I clearly don't agree that they are all that related as shown in my earlier post, but I also don't blame people for bringing them up in the conversation either. Not every "not directly Banjo" related comments on a "competing" character needs to be taken as an offensive move against Banjo or some criticism. It's usually just another discussion that popped up in a community with members who enjoy spending time together...

Edit: And to be clear, I'm not criticizing Banjo or even the community at large in saying all of this, but I do think a few people get a little bit more territorial in instances like this. I'm also not supporting Steve in these comments as I do agree with many people when I say I don't find him that interesting of a pick. Banjo holds way more personal value and always will.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I know it's been said to death and I sound like a broken record, But...

I'm sure both sides are aware of Banjo-Kazooie's heavy demand, Nintendo/Sakurai have gotten poll results from the ballot which seems like they were a top request or did very well, Also a "Small Advantage" that I believe Banjo-Kazooie has is that since they were owned by Nintendo at one point before they can understand why Nintendo fans still have a strong attatchment with the franchise)

Microsoft/Phil Spencer are aware of the demand for the franchise to be revived and for their inclusion in Smash based on Phil's numerous responses to fans on tweers and interviews and both companies have been collaborating in numerious fronts suchs as Xbox Live intergration and Crossplay.

It takes 2 to tango and everythings apperantly is falling into place to address the big elephant in the room that is BK and Rare.

If both sides want this to happen then the time for action is now.
Would you say banjo was more popular back then, or now?

I feel like if we eliminate ballot characters that are already in (K rool, Ridley, all the vets) and ones that are already deconfirmed (shovel knight, waluigi, bomberman, Isaac, skull kid, shadow ect.) Banjo could be very high up. This is assuming they're even looking at the ballot of course.

Would you say banjo was more popular back then, or now?

I feel like if we eliminate ballot characters that are already in (K rool, Ridley, all the vets) and ones that are already deconfirmed (shovel knight, waluigi, bomberman, Isaac, skull kid, shadow ect.) Banjo could be very high up. This is assuming they're even looking at the ballot of course.
I don’t think they even need the ballot to know that Banjo is a popular request that would make longtime Nintendo fans ecstatic

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t think they even need the ballot to know that Banjo is a popular request that would make longtime Nintendo fans ecstatic
You may be underestimating Nintendo's awareness of certain issues. I would certainly believe that Sakurai would know, but Nintendo as a whole can be a little tone deaf at times in very weird ways for seemingly obvious fan ideas and wishes haha.

SKX31

Smash Master

Why not? I mean, Nintendo gets that, Microsoft gets to push MCC on the Switch as a way to advertise the Xbox-exclusive Infinite. Win-win.

The rumors, if proven true, make me more sceptical about the whole decon thing, but lets not get into that.

I think Banjo on Switch/Banjo in Smash is just another thing we can probably expect out of this whole partnership
While I'd love both, I prefer Banjo getting a new game, Switch or otherwise. Because Banjo-Kazooie could fit as a modernish open worlder, given the duo's very wide arsenal. The question is how. And as I've detailed earlier, it's not an easy question. I'm not sure if the people here can agree on how much a Banjo-Threeie should take from modern open worlders like Assassin's Creed, or just stick to the old guns.

Yeah, so am I. That's the big reason why I brought up those company discussions when Steve was brought up. The discussions probably took so long no Microsoft character could show up in the base game for starters. What would Nintendo get? What would Microsoft get? How can you incorporate X character into Smash, and how would this impact other characters? Which merits should you prioritize?

Those are not simple questions, as I've previously said. We're talking major corporations, and Microsoft's shifting from "console manufacturer" to "both console manufacturer and service provider on other systems", and all Microsoft characters that even made the shortlist (confirmed or not doesn't matter) have big positives. That makes it all much tougher. Which of the money makers will print the most money?

And Nintendo's not just a "hardcore crowd pleaser" company. Weighing the options of keeping and gaining loyalty with those who already bougth Smash with luring in new customers letting the MineCrafters unfamiliar with Smash (not just kids, mind) help form the next generation of potential Smash buyers is a difficult question. The fans talking here have the luxury of not having investors and shareholders breathing down their necks.

And to follow up on EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman 's point above: Hoo boy. Yes. Organizational culture's weird (I think it's an outgrowth of mob mentality / tribalism etc., but I digress). Trust me, I've studied that stuff. Nintendo for example has (had) some weird ideas already, what's preventing them from going with further weirder choices?

Those questions no doubt impact Microsoft's staple of characters, regardless of who gets in. Then, we have not much of a clue what Sakurai thinks. And he has pretty much veto power.

Last edited:
You may be underestimating Nintendo's awareness of certain issues. I would certainly believe that Sakurai would know, but Nintendo as a whole can be a little tone deaf at times in very weird ways for seemingly obvious fan ideas and wishes haha.
But the thing is, fans have been asking for Banjo in Smash for nearly 20 years. That’s a whole lotta years for them to just not notice something. It’s not like a new thing that fans recently started asking for. I guarantee Banjo has come up in previous Smash games but it’s obviously never been within the realm of possibility until now.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
"Give us Mother 3!"

Top Bottom