• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
WHO CARES KIRBY ISN'T IN MARIO KART 8

THIS IS BULL****

HE WAS EVEN IN ROSALINAS TRAILER ****ING EVERYBODY UP ON HIS WARP STAR

REALLY NINTENDO

im sad
That's the problem. Too overpowered.

(no but seriously; I'd sacrifice Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki suit Mario, Cat Suit Peach AND Dry Bowser in exchange for Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight and Bandana Dee)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't know why, but I'm a little worried, it's really obvious that Sakurai is biased with Kid Icarus and "Classic Kirby" Content.
I mean, Green Greens is cool, but another version? I was expecting something from Return to Dreamland or Triple Deluxe.
Maybe the Wii U Kirby Stage will not be based on Return to Dreamland.
Also quick question regarding All-Star Mode, I've heard people mention the assist trophies having some relevance to All-Star Mode this time around, what do they mean, and has this been confirmed anywhere or is it just a rumour/miss-information/miss-communication?
Sorry, I don't know :(

Dr. Canadian Bacon

Smash Cadet
Sakurai's just bias about his own work, meaning he couldn't be modest about Bandana Waddle Dee, but instead might just not care. Have we actually seen any new Kirby content that's newer than Air Ride yet? It's a bit silly, perhaps he doesn't like the direction HAL is going with Kirby? Idk, but we haven't seen much new Kirby stuff.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
I don't know why, but I'm a little worried, it's really obvious that Sakurai is biased with Kid Icarus and "Classic Kirby" Content.
I mean, Green Greens is cool, but another version? I was expecting something from Return to Dreamland or Triple Deluxe.
Maybe the Wii U Kirby Stage will not be based on Return to Dreamland.
Sakurai's just bias about his own work, meaning he couldn't be modest about Bandana Waddle Dee, but instead might just not care. Have we actually seen any new Kirby content that's newer than Air Ride yet? It's a bit silly, perhaps he doesn't like the direction HAL is going with Kirby? Idk, but we haven't seen much new Kirby stuff.
thats what I have been fearing all along the reason why the hype train crashed for me with the leak, Sakurai cares more about uprising then modern kirby. If the leak is real then Kid icarus, Fire emblem, and donkey kong have more reps than kirby. In this survey (http://news.mynavi.jp/c_cobs/enquete/realranking/2012/09/22_1e.html) kirby beats ALL of these series in popularity (lets face it, Sakurai could care less what we think in other countries) so why is a series that for girls is even more popular than legend of zelda and for both of them even more popular than donkey kong? shouldn't a series this BIG get more reps? not to Sakurai. In my opinion Sakurai could care less about new kirby. Cookie country? nope. greens greens again. new kirby stage? nothing... KIRBY NEWCOMERS? NOPE NOT A SINGLE F*****G ONE. the only thing new is ultra sword, but we all know kirby needed a change in final smash. To be honest I would absolutley LOVE to hear sectonia's 1st stage theme remixed for smash bros, but that isn't going to happen. (translated version of above link http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492600)

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Have we actually seen any new Kirby content that's newer than Air Ride yet? It's a bit silly, perhaps he doesn't like the direction HAL is going with Kirby? Idk, but we haven't seen much new Kirby stuff.

Same game Bandana Dee is in.

Bear in mind that Bandana Dee, is still a Waddle Dee. A character that was created by Sakurai.

If Magolor became a main character instead of Bandana Dee, then that would be a problem, because Sakurai wouldn't be familiar with the character.

My point being, despite Bandana Dee not being given the role that made him Smash-worthy, he still gives off the Kirby vibe and fits in. And it would be so cool if that music was played during Bandana Dee's trailer.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Why isn't at least Kirby DLC in MK8!? Eh, maybe he'll come later. Along with Bandana Dee! Also, I think I know which Bandana Dee picture to put in my signature:
image_1.png

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Guys I got fortune cookie that says:
'Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon.'
This must mean:
Good news=Smash Direct announcement
Event=Smash direct, that should reveal Bandana Dee (and Ridley) and other awesome stuff.
:laugh:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I don't really think he has much of a chance nor do I think he really deserves it. I do like him though so I'd like to see him in.
While I'm not going to go off on you for having an opinion (and a lack of elaboration at that), I'd like to point out that no character deserves to be in. Dark Pit didn't deserve to be in when we already had an accurate and memorable amount of Kid Icarus representation, especially when you consider all of the Items, Smash Run enemies, and whatnot. Lucina didn't deserve to be in when we had a good amount of Fire Emblem representation as is without her. But she was still included regardless. The same could apply with Bowser Jr and Lucario. There's other circumstances for their inclusion other than deserving to be in, especially when you consider choices like the Wii Fit Trainer.

As for not thinking he has much of a chance, I suggest you read the OP if you have not already. Some characters I don't necessarily always want to see in, but I still think they have a decent chance regardless.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
@ Chandeelure Chandeelure
Can you put this in the OP under
Frequently Mentioned Objections:
He's a smash run enemy.
R.O.B. was an enemy in the Subspace Emissary yet playable. Plus, it really wouldn't be 'confusing' anyway since Mario had a Luigi costume alt in Brawl.

Last edited:

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice
About the mario DLC, I think it's because they had more recent games at the time, but mabye Kirby will still appear due to Triple Deluxe.
thats what I have been fearing all along the reason why the hype train crashed for me with the leak, Sakurai cares more about uprising then modern kirby. If the leak is real then Kid icarus, Fire emblem, and donkey kong have more reps than kirby. In this survey (http://news.mynavi.jp/c_cobs/enquete/realranking/2012/09/22_1e.html) kirby beats ALL of these series in popularity (lets face it, Sakurai could care less what we think in other countries) so why is a series that for girls is even more popular than legend of zelda and for both of them even more popular than donkey kong? shouldn't a series this BIG get more reps? not to Sakurai. In my opinion Sakurai could care less about new kirby. Cookie country? nope. greens greens again. new kirby stage? nothing... KIRBY NEWCOMERS? NOPE NOT A SINGLE F*****G ONE. the only thing new is ultra sword, but we all know kirby needed a change in final smash. To be honest I would absolutley LOVE to hear sectonia's 1st stage theme remixed for smash bros, but that isn't going to happen. (translated version of above link http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492600)
I think it is because KIU is his most recent creation, so of course he will give it lots of love. We can't rule Bandada Dee out anyways just yet. Until all known characters are unlocked in game, we can't know.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
@ Chandeelure Chandeelure
Can you put this in the OP under
Frequently Mentioned Objections:
He's a smash run enemy.
R.O.B. was an enemy in the Subspace Emissary yet playable. Plus, it really wouldn't be 'confusing' anyway since Mario had a Luigi costume alt in Brawl.

I feel like most detractors who pull that line are either barely educated on the Kirby series, or just plain stupid. No offense.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

I feel like most detractors who pull that line are either barely educated on the Kirby series, or just plain stupid. No offense.
Yeah, that too.
But when I pull that Return to Dreamland thing on a detractor they usually use some other lame argument or claim that smash is 'More fast paced so you wouldn't be able to tell.' :p

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll be completely honest - thinking that Green Greens appearing in the 3DS version as a song is lowering Bandana Dee's chances as a playable character is just stupid. Green Greens is a staple song of the Kirby series, and has appearing in almost every single Kirby game to date. As much as I love Cookie Country, I'd much rather have more recognizable stages represent Kirby. If I am correct, we're actually getting Kirby's Dream Land as a stage on the 3DS, which I think is amazing. Tossing aside the chances of a Wii U version of Cookie Country is ignorant, as the 3DS stages and Wii U stages will be completely different, except for Smash Bros originated stages, with a few exceptions. Even if Cookie Country was a stage on the Wii U, the Green Greens music could easily be attached to it.

Anyways, while most of you don't seem as excited, I'm amazed! I've been waiting for them to finally release that amazing Green Greens song, and now they did! I woke up this morning and grabbed my phone, and while checking Google+ I saw a video had been posted for Smash Bros. music - I had watched a version that had both the Try, Try Again! song and the Green Greens music combined, so I didn't actually know it included the Green Greens song. Clicked the video, read the title, and hype induced super speed scrubbing, I landed on like, the last second of the victory theme, and then Green Greens started - IT'S SO GOOD. IT IS SO ****ING AMAZING. I don't know how any Kirby fan couldn't love it! It may possibly be my favorite version of Green Greens now, and I can't wait to hear it in-game!

For those who haven't heard it, here's an extended version:

On to some other things I've been doing, though:

I've been messing around with Kirby's Adventure, which was a bit of fun. I changed all of the blocks in Vegetable Valley - Level 1 to be Star Blocks, and killed myself several times trying to get around. I also had messed with some doors a bit too much, as I had accidentally made it so when Kirby tries to exit Crane Fever, it sends him to one of the debug rooms and automatically kills him. I couldn't even see Kirby while in this room, he just died. The colors were inverted and none of the buttons worked, either, so I couldn't exit the level. I also made it so DeDeDe, Nightmare Orb, and Meta Knight's army all spawn in Level 1, which ended up crashing the game from a memory overload. I decided to actually do something productive, though, so I decided to see if I could make the game a little harder.

I'm planning on doing all of the levels, along with adding in a few secrets and fun things, but for right now, Level 1 in Vegetable Valley and the Whispy Woods boss fight have been buffed up. Level 1 mainly has stronger monsters, and the Maxim Tomato in the middle of the level is removed. The level is harder than before, but is still pretty easy, being the first level. I had changed a bit of the Whispy Woods boss fight, mainly adding in a few enemies to attack Kirby and help Whispy. Following what recent Kirby games do with the Copy Essence bubbles at boss fights, I added in two enemies - Sparky and Hot Head, to get a copy ability before you fight. They can't move, or hurt you - if you walk into them, they just die and you're not damaged at all. After you go down, Whispy Woods comes in along with a Waddle Dee with a Waddle Doo charging at you, and two Bronto Burt's charging at you. After they either hit you, die, or fly off screen (Bronto Burt), you can focus more on Whispy Woods. There's also a Shotzo that shoots at you at a slow pace at the other side of the stage, and follows you around the stage. This makes it so you have to be more aware while fighting him. It seems like a bit harder fight, as after the basic enemies go away, you have Whispy using his air bullets on you, apples falling from his leaves, and the Shotzo following you around trying to shoot you. The boss fight isn't super hard, as it's stll the first boss fight, so I didn't want to seem impossible.

Here's a video of the Whispy Woods fight:

The game was played and recorded with my phone, as it's a lot easier than getting everything done on my computer. Most videos I upload from now on are going to be directly from my phone, so hopefully it'll be okay. Also, just to make sure, does the video frame rate and quality look good, or does it look bad (make sure to watch it in 720p or 1080p)? I'm more concerned about the frame rate than the quality, because being directly from my phone may cause it to be a little choppy.

Also, any suggestions for what I should be doing for Kirby's Adventure 2 is welcome! Just so you guys know, I can also change where the sub-games lead to, so I could instead have more Copy Ability rooms or something like that.

---

2. Bandana Dee is a generic enemy.

This is by far one of the most used arguments against Bandana Dee's inclusion in Super Smash Bros, and while it may seem like it, it's actually not. Bandana Dee has a unique personality compared to all other Waddle Dee's, as he is considered to be a brave warrior, while most, if not all other Waddle Dee's are cowards. It should also be noted that he confirmed to be Kirby's best friend, even more so than other characters such as King DeDeDe, Meta Knight, and Gooey. Bandana Dee also is known as the most loyal Waddle Dee, serving King DeDeDe at all costs, where as other Waddle Dee's are considered to be cowards, hence always running away from Kirby. In Kirby: Super Star Ultra, Bandana Dee had also attempted to stop Kirby before he could get to King DeDeDe, essentially making a sacrifice for him.

Bandana Dee, as the name implies, wears a blue bandana to differentiate appearance between other Waddle Dee's, essentially removing any confusion. He also wields a spear, and is considered a "Spear Master". Waddle Dee's have been known to wield spears, although this is a rare occasion and hasn't been seen in Smash Run - they're also pretty bad with spears, because the only thing they can actually do is poke it forward. Also, if you're going to use the "generic enemy" argument, tell that to Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Greninja. Yoshi is also essentially a "generic enemy", as there are multiple Yoshi. This is also shown in the Super Smash Bros. Melee intro, where a herd of Yoshi is seen running.

Also, replace the picture under "Kirby doesn't need a fourth rep" with this one:

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXonp2lc0g
This was added to the Smash music page.
I remember hearing this from the Smash Direct, still no sign of another kirby stage though besides Halberd.
I still find that a little suspicious because we also haven't seen a new DK stage either...

That's the problem. Too overpowered.

(no but seriously; I'd sacrifice Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki suit Mario, Cat Suit Peach AND Dry Bowser in exchange for Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight and Bandana Dee)
Baby Luigi can stay though

Last edited:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
While I'm not going to go off on you for having an opinion (and a lack of elaboration at that), I'd like to point out that no character deserves to be in. Dark Pit didn't deserve to be in when we already had an accurate and memorable amount of Kid Icarus representation, especially when you consider all of the Items, Smash Run enemies, and whatnot. Lucina didn't deserve to be in when we had a good amount of Fire Emblem representation as is without her. But she was still included regardless. The same could apply with Bowser Jr and Lucario. There's other circumstances for their inclusion other than deserving to be in, especially when you consider choices like the Wii Fit Trainer.

As for not thinking he has much of a chance, I suggest you read the OP if you have not already. Some characters I don't necessarily always want to see in, but I still think they have a decent chance regardless.
Nope. Some characters deserve to be in more than others, which you just explained yourself with those examples, sooo...While Bandana Dee is one of the more major Kirby characters, I still just don't think he deserves it.

He's among the more likely characters to get in, but that's not a huge accomplishment. He's likely enough where I wouldn't be very surprised if he actually made it in, but I wouldn't bet on his inclusion, no.

Again, I never said I don't want to see him in. I do. While I don't want him as much as Ridley, I'd still be happy if he was included in the game. Waddles Dees are adorbs and the Bandana Dee is even better since he's a MC. I wasn't trying to insult the guy by stating my opinion that he's undeserving an unlikely, I've been supporting undeserving and unlikely characters since Day 1. For example, Anthony Higgs. Does he deserve to be playable in Smash Bros? Hell no. Is he likely to be playable in Smash Bros? lolno (but likely enough for me to at least mention). Do I want to see him in Smash Bros? A bit more than Ridley, actually.

Related: I have an awesome Waddle Dee plush

Why do you think he doesn't deserve it?
Eh I can't really explain it well. I just don't.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
R.I.P. Bandana Dee:

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! WHAT THE F*** IS THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I SWEAR IF HE IS DE-CONFIRMED........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "R.I.P"?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
R.I.P. Bandana Dee:

That leak has been confirmed to be fake. The math doesn't add up on Lucario's KO screen. When you add up all the KOs, on only 6 characters I might add, you end up with 34, but the KO counter shows 33. There are other problems such as the 2d trophy and wolf being direct rips from other photos, and serious problems made with grammar on the screen that could only be made by a non-fluent English speaker, which the translators of Sm4ash most certainly are not. Do not fret Bandana Dee fans! He is still safe because this leak is super fake :bee:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That leak has been confirmed to be fake. The math doesn't add up on Lucario's KO screen. When you add up all the KOs, on only 6 characters I might add, you end up with 34, but the KO counter shows 33. There are other problems such as the 2d trophy and wolf being direct rips from other photos, and serious problems made with grammar on the screen that could only be made by a non-fluent English speaker, which the translators of Sm4ash most certainly are not. Do not fret Bandana Dee fans! He is still safe because this leak is super fake :bee:
The KO one may be fake, but getting two angles of Bandanna Dee in two pics seems strange, that part might actually be real.

Servine

Smash Cadet
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2epp5d/v_leaks_more_information_on_smash_4/
Here's some more info, apparently Bandana Dee occasionally takes the place of normal Waddle Dees in Smash Run.
What intrigues me is a comparison between this leaker and the imgur gallery. The leaker from /v/ says Impa isn't in the game at all (meaning not even a regular trophy), yet in the gallery Impa is one of the playable characters.
Something isn't lining up here, so one of these has to be fake.

Servine

Smash Cadet
Since the image one has a general consensus here to be fake, and the /v/ leaker is text only, we don't really have any conclusive evidence of his deconfirmation.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
The KO one may be fake, but getting two angles of Bandanna Dee in two pics seems strange, that part might actually be real.
I'm taking the same stance with this as I am with the big leak. If one picture out of a group released together is confirmed either fake or real, then the rest of the pictures will be the same. I can understand that they might want to fake the KO screen to add in Impa and Wolf, but when there is already one trophy that is a complete rip of a common image of the character, literally the second image when you google search it, the whole leak just kinda falls apart to me.

Servine

Smash Cadet
Alright, guys, let's not get too wound up over these leaks. None of them are like the CSS leak, so we can't really call them real.
Bandana Dee still has a chance, guys.

Top Bottom