• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I just noticed if Bandana Dee got in he'd be fought in the same year as all the Gen 1 Pokémon in All Star Mode. Just something funny i felt like pointing out.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
A note: Assume most attacks are pulled from Kirby Returns to Dreamland.
A button: standard jab combo (same as KRtD) finisher pushes opponent away with a strong thurst.

Down A special (ground); It does a ground kick which propels it forward.

In Air
Down air (Think DK's side A air attack) Smacks opposition with a quarter circle motion but the hit is devastating downward.

B Specials:
Bup- Spear copter, can be hit out of it while charging or from beneath.

B Side- Chucks spear in a straight motion.
The running attack chucks it in an arc.

B Down- Item pull.
Pulls a random item from behind itself (Like how it helps Kirby in Triple Deluxe) to heal small damage. Can't be spammed, as it will shrug if over used.

B- Gordo
Can leave a Gordo on stage (Think the bumper) but it will disappear after 4 seconds.

Grab/Throw consists of using the spear to bring the enemy closer to him while punching them or smacking them with the spear before deciding direction. If tossed downward however, it will jab them like in Megaton Punch. Can be hit out of this while in mid-air.

Can tether horizontally but needs to be close to the stage AND it must jump within a 5 second period, otherwise falls helplessly from arm fatigue.

Can also create a mini platform for other fighters but will make him helpless if spear is attacked.

Final Smash: Megaton Shockwave
It will catch an opponent with a grab but leave them on the ground like a brick plate (Think Kirby's forward throw)

Dramatic camera angles involved where he leaps into the air and hails down like a meteor before sending out a wave that has high knockback. If enemy is closer to the attack, they will launch vertically. If outside of it, it will be horizontal.

Can be used as a meteor smash if used in mid-air/Insta suicide. Depends on which is more fair and less broken.

Can whiff since it can't go through a platform but the shockwaves will go through them.

Taunts: Raising spear, dancing and fixing bandanna.

Custom Moveset:
Replaces Spear with Parasol giving unique properties such as recovery being similar to Peach's parasol but lacks tether option. Also attack hit boxes would be shorter.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
A note: Assume most attacks are pulled from Kirby Returns to Dreamland.
A button: standard jab combo (same as KRtD) finisher pushes opponent away with a strong thurst.

Down A special (ground); It does a ground kick which propels it forward.

In Air
Down air (Think DK's side A air attack) Smacks opposition with a quarter circle motion but the hit is devastating downward.

B Specials:
Bup- Spear copter, can be hit out of it while charging or from beneath.

B Side- Chucks spear in a straight motion.
The running attack chucks it in an arc.

B Down- Item pull.
Pulls a random item from behind itself (Like how it helps Kirby in Triple Deluxe) to heal small damage. Can't be spammed, as it will shrug if over used.

B- Gordo
Can leave a Gordo on stage (Think the bumper) but it will disappear after 4 seconds.

Grab/Throw consists of using the spear to bring the enemy closer to him while punching them or smacking them with the spear before deciding direction. If tossed downward however, it will jab them like in Megaton Punch. Can be hit out of this while in mid-air.

Can tether horizontally but needs to be close to the stage AND it must jump within a 5 second period, otherwise falls helplessly from arm fatigue.

Can also create a mini platform for other fighters but will make him helpless if spear is attacked.

Final Smash: Megaton Shockwave
It will catch an opponent with a grab but leave them on the ground like a brick plate (Think Kirby's forward throw)

Dramatic camera angles involved where he leaps into the air and hails down like a meteor before sending out a wave that has high knockback. If enemy is closer to the attack, they will launch vertically. If outside of it, it will be horizontal.

Can be used as a meteor smash if used in mid-air/Insta suicide. Depends on which is more fair and less broken.

Can whiff since it can't go through a platform but the shockwaves will go through them.

Taunts: Raising spear, dancing and fixing bandanna.

Custom Moveset:
Replaces Spear with Parasol giving unique properties such as recovery being similar to Peach's parasol but lacks tether option. Also attack hit boxes would be shorter.
.....You do know that Bandana Dee is a male character, right? why do you keep calling him "it"?

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Most of the Kirby cast is genderless except KING D3 and Metaknight so...

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
LOL

I'd like to add this...

This... is so cute. Was this a commercial/promotional video for Kirby: Super Star or Super Star Ultra? It's so adorable, I want more!

@ Enigma14 Enigma14

Kirby, King DeDeDe, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee are all male. I think it's easy to tell what gender a boss or monster is based on appearance, because it's still a video game. They're not going to design enemies to be transgender or something, as it's still a game.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima
Tell that to everyone who loves Jigglypuff, Poison and Birdo.

But I'll refer to BD as he/him/male then.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima
Tell that to everyone who loves Jigglypuff.

But I'll refer to BD as he/him/male then.
Well, Jigglypuff is a Pokemon. Pokemon are known to come as both genders, whereas Kirby characters are not. HAL has never confirmed that Waddle Dee or Waddle Doo are male or female, or that Sir Kibble or Blade Knight even have a gender, but The Pokemon Company has. In the Kirby franchise, the only supporting detail to a characters gender, other than the main characters (Kirby, DeDeDe, MK, Bandana) who have had their genders confirmed, in their apperance and (sometimes) their names. Such as, Poppy Bros Jr. and Sr. are clearly male because of BROS being in their name, while enemies such as Cappy can be assumed to be male, mainly from appearance. Female enemies and characters are obviously going to have differentiating features to easily distinguish them as female, such as being a more feminine color or having something like a bow or hair clip.

The main reason that stereotypical features are used in the series to differentiate male and female is because the whole series is marketed towards young children, so they probably would like them to understand the difference easily.

EDIT: @ Enigma14 Enigma14 TAG YOU'RE IT

EDIT2:

While the details haven't been revealed of what it does, Kirby doesn't have a Copy Ability hat when using Shulk's power...

Parasol doesn't have a Copy Ability hat, and Kirby carries the Parasol around at all times... is the Monado going to be on Kirby's back or something? From the stance that's being done, it looks like Kirby gets the Monado's buffs.

JUMP KIRBY OH MY GOD

Also, Kirby looks so ****ing adorable holding the Monado!

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Yeah I expect jump Monado Kirby to accidentally kill himself on climbing stages.

I'm still confused about the painter's gender.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah I expect jump Monado Kirby to accidentally kill himself on climbing stages.

I'm still confused about the painter's gender.
Who is "The Painter"? Do you mean Adeleine? Paint Roller? Drawcia? Paintra?

pls explain

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Adeleine is female.

lol I messed up with Ado
I don't own it because in Europe it didn't came out, and finding scan of it is almost impossible, but I think that the booklet of Kirby'sDream Collection pretty much confirmed that both Ado and Adeleine are female (and they may also be the same "person").

Anyway, each time I check this thread someone is talking of Adeleine XD
I'd like to see a fight between Paint Roller and Adeleine some day (probably Adeleine is more powerful since she can draw bosses, but who knows, Paint Roller is unpredictable).
Both Drawcha and Paintra are a lot stronger though.

Anyway, each time there is a Kirby related crayon/pencil drawing it's impossible to not think of Ado/Adeleine, unless you don't know the character at all.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Well, Jigglypuff is a Pokemon. Pokemon are known to come as both genders, whereas Kirby characters are not. HAL has never confirmed that Waddle Dee or Waddle Doo are male or female, or that Sir Kibble or Blade Knight even have a gender, but The Pokemon Company has. In the Kirby franchise, the only supporting detail to a characters gender, other than the main characters (Kirby, DeDeDe, MK, Bandana) who have had their genders confirmed, in their apperance and (sometimes) their names. Such as, Poppy Bros Jr. and Sr. are clearly male because of BROS being in their name, while enemies such as Cappy can be assumed to be male, mainly from appearance. Female enemies and characters are obviously going to have differentiating features to easily distinguish them as female, such as being a more feminine color or having something like a bow or hair clip.

The main reason that stereotypical features are used in the series to differentiate male and female is because the whole series is marketed towards young children, so they probably would like them to understand the difference easily.

EDIT: @ Enigma14 Enigma14 TAG YOU'RE IT

EDIT2:

While the details haven't been revealed of what it does, Kirby doesn't have a Copy Ability hat when using Shulk's power...

Parasol doesn't have a Copy Ability hat, and Kirby carries the Parasol around at all times... is the Monado going to be on Kirby's back or something? From the stance that's being done, it looks like Kirby gets the Monado's buffs.

JUMP KIRBY OH MY GOD

the lack of hat probably because he might be confused for Robin Kirby honestly

D

Deleted member

JUMP KIRBY OH MY GOD

No hat? Obviously because he'd be confused for another weapon wielder who gives Kirby a hat and a weapon… a real hat… a nice, blue bandana with a spear that glows green while charging, kinda like the Monado… BANDANA DEE CONFIRMED!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I don't own it because in Europe it didn't came out, and finding scan of it is almost impossible, but I think that the booklet of Kirby'sDream Collection pretty much confirmed that both Ado and Adeleine are female (and they may also be the same "person").

Anyway, each time I check this thread someone is talking of Adeleine XD
I'd like to see a fight between Paint Roller and Adeleine some day (probably Adeleine is more powerful since she can draw bosses, but who knows, Paint Roller is unpredictable).
Both Drawcha and Paintra are a lot stronger though.

Anyway, each time there is a Kirby related crayon/pencil drawing it's impossible to not think of Ado/Adeleine, unless you don't know the character at all.
I love Adeleine, haha. She's really the only "human" character I like in Kirby other than Ribbon. Also, yeah, if I am correct, Ado is female. I personally don't think they're the same person, mainly cause I think it'd be cute if they were twin sisters or something, similar to Drawcia and Paintra.

I personally would like to see Drawcia and Paintra vs Ado and Adeleine, that'd be funny. A fight between Paint Roller and Adeleine would be interesting, although I think Paint Roller may win, mainly due to the fact that it can draw things of bigger scale than Adeleine can.

---

Onto other details, I am currently ripping my Kirby's Return to Dream Land disc, so I can explore the filesystem to edit it with Riivolution. You can expect a couple of updates on that in the next few days. Also, for anybody wondering, it's not really "illegal" since I'm essentially backing up my copy of the game. I'm not going to be distributing it or anything, so hopefully nobody thinks I'm doing some illegal stuff or something.

GET READY FOR RED KIRBY

RED KIRBY

pls

pls

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
What if Bandana Dee's Final Smash was riding on Landia and attacking everyone else while on it? That seems more likely IMO.. I mean, of course I'd prefer Megaton Punch, but for some reason I feel like this is what they would do..

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Most of the Kirby cast is genderless except KING D3 and Metaknight so...
This is what I believe too. Screw gender ideas anyway. They're blobs. Why are people trying to apply such human social constructs to aliens. It's kind of lame.

I don't have any feelings about Ado. I guess I'm not partial to her. I like the idea that Sakurai had for the anime for "no humans'. I think that's how he intended the franchise to be contrary to what the other director did. So I like to stick to that
I'm very much pro-girls in games though. Why I think they should bring back grill and more cool female characters like Paintra, etc.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just wanted to say that it kept occurring to me today that if B.D. is playable, I thought of some "custom moves" for him if he had "Megaton Punch" as a (possibly down) special move.

Normal: Megaton Punch - B.D. would be able to charge his punch and when releasing, would slam his fist into the ground, burying opponents.
Custom 1: "Gigaton Punch" - B.D. would cause the ground to violently shake and instead of burying his opponents, they'd be sent flying a great distance.
Custom 2: "Megaton Strike" - I know this won't be too long, so I'll just say it. Think of Little Mac's Straight Lunge, but you cannot charge it.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This is what I believe too. Screw gender ideas anyway. They're blobs. Why are people trying to apply such human social constructs to aliens. It's kind of lame.
Well, some characters do have specified genders, sooo...

Anyways, I personally apply genders to some enemies, not because I really care, but it's only natural. However, I don't really think about genders while I play. I don't go through the game thinking "WOAH IS THAT WADDLE DEE A GUY OR A GIRL OMG??????" or "I BET BLADE KNIGHT IS A BUFF MACHO BARBARIAN FROM TARZAN'S DUNGEON" or something. However, when I'm talking to somebody, I apply genders to make speaking a lot easier. Such as, if I'm talking to a friend about Chilly, I'd assume that it's a male.

also, please don't call Kirby cast aliens

just

please

i get they're from space but just please

it's like, even with Magolor, i hate to th
---

Er... I've successfully ripped Kirby's Return to Dream Land from my disc, but when I try to copy it to my hard drive, I get some error about how it can't be copied

wat

lol

EDITEREDITS: its only one file, specifically the third part of the rip

idk why third would corrupt

EDIT2: okay wtf it copies to my hard drive but not THIS SPECIFIC FOLDER

like the folder hates the file or something but it loves every other part of the game

WHAT IS TSHI

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Well, some characters do have specified genders, sooo...

Anyways, I personally apply genders to some enemies, not because I really care, but it's only natural. However, I don't really think about genders while I play. I don't go through the game thinking "WOAH IS THAT WADDLE DEE A GUY OR A GIRL OMG??????" or "I BET BLADE KNIGHT IS A BUFF MACHO BARBARIAN FROM TARZAN'S DUNGEON" or something. However, when I'm talking to somebody, I apply genders to make speaking a lot easier. Such as, if I'm talking to a friend about Chilly, I'd assume that it's a male.

also, please don't call Kirby cast aliens

just

please

i get they're from space but just please

---

Er... I've successfully ripped Kirby's Return to Dream Land from my disc, but when I try to copy it to my hard drive, I get some error about how it can't be copied

wat

lol
They are aliens though.... x_x Also I still see them mostly as genderless personally. Kirby was actually originally referred to with genderless pronouns in Japan. It wasn't until marketing him in the west was he gendered. I just personally don't like it. I think the original intention was to have him relatable to all sorts of players. A very inclusive design and approachable game. I like to stick to that idea of Kirby. It's what I prefer.

IronFish

Smash Ace
They are aliens though.... x_x Also I still see them mostly as genderless personally. Kirby was actually originally referred to with genderless pronouns in Japan. It wasn't until marketing him in the west was he gendered. I just personally don't like it. I think the original intention was to have him relatable to all sorts of players. A very inclusive design and approachable game. I like to stick to that idea of Kirby. It's what I prefer.
Relateable... because I know a lot of pink balls of what :troll:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Relateable... because I know a lot of pink balls of what :troll:
Well since he's ambiguous little kids sort of relate their own gender to it from what I've noticed. I've noticed that little girls I've seen play the game think Kirby is a girl cause of the look and boys who play the game see him as a boy cause they're playing and how he has all these powers they think are cool. Adults probably feel entirely different but I'm taking about the demographic.

I kind of relate to Kirby though... cause naps and snacks are the best.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
the next thing I think HAL should work on in a kirby game is character development, I would really like to see the personalities of everyone. (mainly BD, cause we don't know much about him)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I mainly like Kirby being gendered as a male, just for the fact that a pink blob that is super adorable is a guy... like, it goes against every single stereotypical thing

anyways, i'm not gonna discuss aliens and genders anymore just because, to be honest, i hate trying to put anything in a group

i know i'm weird, but i hate it when people try to categorize a character, no matter it be gender, age, or species

like, i just like to think of them as...

to be honest, i don't know, but i don't like to go into that kind of stuff

Okay, what I mean is that I really don't like to try to find out what a character really is. I'm sure this is basically battling with what I've been saying earlier, but I just don't. I hate it when people talk about Kirby being an infant, or try to spot his specific age, but I can't really explain why I don't. I also hate it when people try to put something in a specific species... like, I think they should just let the characters be... the characters...

you know, I'm going to end this post right now just because it's irritating me and I don't really know why I think like this

sorry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kirby's 2D platformers are better than Mario's 2D platformers. There. I said it. Totally not because Bandana Dee is in more recent Kirby platformers. I just enjoy the depth Kirby games bring. They're somewhat easy, but so are Mario games. Or Mario is just mind-numbingly hard that I want to ragequit. Kirby is just like… Superman foiling a robber! Thanks for that quote, IGN! :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Three pages while I was gone... Wow. :laugh:
Anyway, what'd I miss?
Bandana Dee was confirmed in a special broadcast, so we're all hyped like crazy and are speculating just how Meta Knight OP he's going to be in this game.

but seriously I don't think you missed anything

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I mainly like Kirby being gendered as a male, just for the fact that a pink blob that is super adorable is a guy... like, it goes against every single stereotypical thing

anyways, i'm not gonna discuss aliens and genders anymore just because, to be honest, i hate trying to put anything in a group

i know i'm weird, but i hate it when people try to categorize a character, no matter it be gender, age, or species

like, i just like to think of them as...

to be honest, i don't know, but i don't like to go into that kind of stuff

Okay, what I mean is that I really don't like to try to find out what a character really is. I'm sure this is basically battling with what I've been saying earlier, but I just don't. I hate it when people talk about Kirby being an infant, or try to spot his specific age, but I can't really explain why I don't. I also hate it when people try to put something in a specific species... like, I think they should just let the characters be... the characters...

you know, I'm going to end this post right now just because it's irritating me and I don't really know why I think like this

sorry
Problem is that Kirby is even described as an alien in the codec dialogue with Snake... in the game by his creator. It's obvious he's young by his voice and various depictions across media. If he were an adult than why would he not sound like MK? *shurgs* I dunno. People can enjoy the mystery of dreamland but I don't think it's wrong to want to know more about the character you like and their background. Gender is irrelevant to me but I can't help but want to know about his species and stuff cause he's obviously very different. I find the dreamland in general very interesting. I wish I'd know more but it's obvious HAL isn't going to elaborate too much even if they hint at a race of beings called the "ancients" who possibly built Nova, etc. Even if I have my ideas on Kirby's age and species... I still have sooooooooooooooooooooo many questions. His relations to MK and Galacta Knight. Galacta Knight being from another time past (he connected to the ancients?)

JUST SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Hey all! With the word of some Neogaf user supposedly getting an early copy of the game.. tomorrow, I wanted to stop by asking the general consensus of the Dee. Are you guys optimistic? I think he's got some really solid chances, especially with the recent information of complete exclusion of Waddle Dees in Dedede's moveset! :grin:

Top Bottom