• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
BWD is the fourth main protagonist of the Kirby series at this point. He offers a unique moveset and would be the fourth character for one of Ninty's biggest franchises. He's also been prevalent in many games and Star Allies seems to help his chances of relevancy. He's also pretty popular. Giving him lots of support.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee's discription in Kirby: Star Allies is perfect fits him down to a T.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
This is the result of Wind Element + Bandana Dee

God help us all

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Oh I love Star Allies already.
While I'm here, consider me a supporter. Bandana Dee is, in this relative outsider's opinion, the most likely newcomer for Smash 5 (other than the Inklings, who are already confirmed and were a shoe-in anyway) seeing how Kirby, one of Nintendo's most major series, went without a new rep last game and Dee has the advantage of being the fourth member of Kirby's "main" cast, so to speak, and practically having a moveset written for him already, so I'd say his chances are looking very, very good - hell, I can see him being revealed realistically as early as E3. Besides, I really love the Spear ability, and would love to give it a spin in Smash.

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Bandana Dee's combination attacks with the different elements would make for some really cool custom moves if they do bring back custom specials in Smash. (I could care less about customs though, hardly used em except for the few months they were allowed in the competitive scene).

2 more days till release I can't wait! :love: I already spoiled the entire game for myself because I couldn't wait any longer and I was so curious... :smirk:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
What are your guy's thoughts on changing the OP's "The Spear Master" to "The Legend of Dee"?

Both are fine, obviously, but I'm curious to what you guys think considering the former has been there for years.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What are your guy's thoughts on changing the OP's "The Spear Master" to "The Legend of Dee"?

Both are fine, obviously, but I'm curious to what you guys think considering the former has been there for years.
i dont think it really matters thread titles are just a bit of fun

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
This deestroyed like all the arguments of the deetractors, lol.

And the best thing is that it is official.

EDIT: Also, the Final Boss of Kirby Star Allies is already in Youtube, so be careful of spoilers.
Whoa, thanks for the warning, Captain! Half of the reason I play Kirby is the surprise messed-up abomination boss, lol.

I'm for the new title! It's awesome, and it sounds like something we'd come up with, even though Nintendo gave it to us, lol.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thanks for the final boss warning, might have to stick with my subscription until I play it myself

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This may be of interest.

I haven't seen the whole thing so I can't guarantee no spoilers but the first few minutes are just fine.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah saw that earlier had it on while I was talking to some peeps. Didn’t see all of it but dang the Dee was awesome there.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Hello my fellow friends? Remember me? I got back into Smash bros recently, and this rhymes, so I want Bandana Dee!

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
Wasn't too big on Bandana Dee for Smash, but this time I think he has a big chance of getting in. Would be so hype for another Kirby rep, and the only logical next rep right?

D

Deleted member

Hey welcome members old and new. Good to see everyone’s support of Bandana Dee. Everyone is welcome and we’re all here to support the spear wielding, warrior Bandana Waddle Dee.

D

Deleted member

Before this thread gets overrun by the Star Allies release I'm gonna post a moveset I made a while back. I tried to stay pretty basic with it. It's not too detailed on what a lot of the attacks look like because I primarily used the names of the different copy abilities.

Note: Spear attacks have a sourspout on the shaft, and a sweetspot on the spearhead. As a general rule, Parasol attacks are a kind of middle ground between the two. The parasol also acts as a shield. Bandana Dee swaps between weapons (Spear, Blue Parasol, and Beam Wand) through hammer-space, but only the spear is on the model at idle.

Jab 1: Short spear poke forward

Rapid Jab: Multispear Attack

Jab Finisher: Pinpoint Thrust. Leans forward, thrusting his spear at full length.

Dash Attack: Parasol Dash. Bandana Dee dashes forward, holding his Parasol in front of him. Not as far reaching as in the Kirby games.

Forward Tilt: Spear Thrust. Spear is extended fully in front of Bandana Dee. Quick, kill move at higher percents. Can be angled up or down slightly.

Up Tilt: Pops parasol open, holding it like Parasol Kirby's idle stance. Quick, not much lag. Solid disjointed anti air. Can hold the attack button to walk around with the Parasol (think Bayonetta's Bullet Arts)

Down Tilt: Slide attack. Bandana Dee slides on the ground like in the Kirby games. On hit, he bounces off the enemy, rising slightly off the ground. Can combo off this.
Forward Smash: Parasol Swing. Standard Parasol Ability attack. The water effect has a windbox instead of a hitbox.

Up Smash: Skyward Thrust. 2 hits; first one is next to Bandana Dee on both sides and combos into the second. The finisher is a thrust upwards with the spear (like Marth's Up Smash). Another idea I had was to make this 3 rapid spear thrusts upwards rather than just the one, but either works.

Down Smash: The spear is positioned low to the ground, extending far in front of Bandana Dee, before swapping to attack the opposite side. Like Cloud's Down Smash but without comboing into itself because the spear has a strong hitbox on both sides. Based on spear ability's Spear Thrust & Back Thrust combo. Basically a down smash version of two forward tilt's except they're stronger. Initial strike is fast, second one, obviously not so much since he has to switch sides.
Neutral Air: Bandana Dee does a short twirl with his spear fully extended, performing an attack that looks similar to Marth's Neutral Air, but at a -45 degree angle in front of him. Only one rotation, so only two hits total with one at each angle.

Forward Air: Like Mii Swordfighter's Forward Air but with a spear.

Back Air: Backwards aerial Spear Thrust. Bandana Dee does a no look spear thrust straight behind him, but his spear is not completely extended because he isn't looking and is turned around. Like a shorter version of Shulk's Back Air but with a spear so the sweet and sour spots are reversed.

Up Air: Parasol Descent. Bandana Dee pops open his signature parasol, holding it above his head before putting it away. Quick, but weak. If the attack button is held, Bandana Dee slows his descent by keeping his parasol out his and drifting down a la Parasol Waddle Dees. The move lasts until it is either cancelled or Bandana Dee lands on the ground. Has a weak hitbox on the parasol while falling. Cannot fall through platforms while holding parasol. However, the initial attack may be fast falled as long as the player doesn't activate the float. Bandana Dee can cancel Parasol Descent at any time by letting go of the attack button, or using any other aerial, special, or air dodge.

Down Air: Moon Drop from Spear Ability. Spins spear before quickly descending with spear extended directly below him. Initially the tip is a meteor, but it loses its meteor properties shortly after.
Neutral Special: Spear Throw, Spear Barrage, and Triple Throw. Bandana Dee throws 1-3 spear(s) in a low arc in front of him. Spear Throw isn't as rapid fire as in the Kirby games. Spear Barrage launches two spears, but at the same strength as Spear Throw. Triple Throw's spears are stronger than single spears.

Side Special: Beam Whip. Bandana Dee uses a Waddle Dee styled Beam Kirby holds to perform the Beam Ability's basic attack, reminiscent of Waddle Doos. Big disjoint that stuns opponents and eats weaker projectiles. Like Cloud's Neutral Air in the sense that the initial hitbox that appears above him is deceptively fast compared to the rest of the attack.

Up Special: Spear Copter. Bandana Dee ascends a shortish distance by spinning his spear above him. There is a finishing hitbox at the apex of the initial ascent. The spear spins until Bandana Dee deactivates Spear Copter by pressing the special button, fast falling, or by landing. If cancelled in the air, Bandana Dee enters helpless. Can be charged a little bit to increase the distance of the ascent and its travel speed. Charging also strengthens the finishing hitbox.

Down Special: Parasol Shield/Parasol Dive. When grounded, only Parasol Shield can be used. Much like Pit's Brawl Side Special, it reflects projectiles in front of him with a weak multihit attack for protection. The move has an initial stronger hit (like Fox's Shine), but can be twirled for a few seconds afterwards. The direction can be changed mid attack. In the air, Bandana Dee has the option to instead perform Parasol Dive, a weak, disjointed dive kick that protects Bandana Dee on his descent, which has less landing lag than most dive kicks. Parasol Dive is used if you use a Smash input, while Parasol Shield can be used with a tilt input (think difference between Samus's Homing and Super Missile).

Final Smash: Megaton Punch. Summons blocks from the classic mini game. Player must play a sped up version of the mini game (basically a series of quick time events). Scaled power depending on how well the mini game goes. Weakest: Good damage and knockback close to Bandana Dee. Strongest: OHKO punch in smallish radius around him, larger AOE effect from block breaking and power in general.
Grab/Dash Grab/Pivot Grab: Standard grab with his non spear hand

Pummel: Basically Kirby's pummel but not as fast

Forward Throw: Capture Beam throw. Multihit on the beam attack functions the same as side special (stun + eating weak projectiles), but weaker.

Back Throw: Tosses the opponent behind him before hitting them with the butt of his spear. Weak.

Up Throw: Circus Throw from Parasol ability. Bandana Dee spins opponents on his parasol before throwing them. Hitbox on the parasol.

Down Throw: Shoves the opponent to the ground in front of him before thrusting his spear into them. Kill throw.
Stats: Pretty much a copy paste of Kirby's.

Idle: Adjusts bandana.

Taunts:

1.) Falls over, Waddle Dee style.
2.) Poses with Spear.
3.) Slowly twirls parasol while admiring it.

Color Palette:

1.) Default
2.) Yellow with Orange bandana from Rainbow Curse
3.) Green with Dark Green bandana from Rainbow Curse
4.) Aqua with Blue bandana from Star Allies
5.) Pink with Purple bandana
6.) Red with Crimson bandana
7.) Brown with Dark Brown bandana
8.) Grayscale
9.) Default colors with Spear Kirby hat
10.) Sailor Waddle Dee

Kirby Hat: Kirby dons Bandana Dee's blue Bandana
Pros:
  • Long ranged disjoints with kill potential, helping him excel at zoning
  • Myriad of options to deal with projectiles
  • Variety of landing options
  • Kill throw
Cons:
  • Poor close quarters combat
  • Light weight
  • Middling movement speed and poor aerial mobility
  • Can struggle killing if he can't land a sweetspot or grab

Super late edit: Touched up since I'm putting it in my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So, uh....a little late since Bandana Waddle Dee has been shown in his usual color along with other Dream Allies, but....

Remember when I said the blue Waddle Dee implied multiple people could play as him? And people tried to discredit me?

Same holds true for the others, since there's been a Blue and a Green Dedede shown as well.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
:rolleyes:
I mean what's the basis for the rigged ballot accusation.
Well when bayonetta was announced they basically said she the only "viable character" in the ballot or something along those lines. You can guess why people were upset. Not to say she's a bad character

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
They also said she was top voted in Europe and top 5 in America. That's basically cherry picking something to be upset about, as how many characters are even going to be above her with those votes? And then consider that that small number of characters might involve licensing issues as well.

Jumping from 'there might be a couple more popular characters but she was the viable one' to 'it was rigged in her favour' is basically just looking for reasons to be upset.

But whatever, this is getting off track.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So uhh yeah Bandanna Dee is cool. What's everyone think about about the SSF2 version?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
:rolleyes:
I mean what's the basis for the rigged ballot accusation.
im not sure about rigging but seeing as people seemingly could vote as many times as possible its entirely possible that some people just voted for the one character over and over again

so you cant really say who the real most wanted character was when its entirely possible it was a smaller number of people just endlessly voting

and from some of the other stories ive heard about you get the feeling that the top choice in the ballot was one of the troll characters or something very inappropriate

D

Deleted member

Edit: I removed something that I don't think we need to do simply because I trust Chandelure with the thread. Also replaced Bomberman with Bandana since well, that's what we're talking about on this thread.

I've been thinking about ideas for how to cultivate support for Bandana Dee. Here are some ideas I mentioned in the Bomberman thread that I consider to be the basic fundamentals for growing support:
  1. We need social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter, YouTube presence if possible, and possibly Instagram
  2. We need to utilize our network to foster more supporters, especially to people more in the know
  3. Express support in any way possible even in places like Rate Their Chances where if nothing else, a person can put up a case for why Bandana Waddle Dee should be in and deserves the support of others
  4. Be positive about Bandana Waddle whenever possible as positivity attracts people which negativity does the opposite
  5. Stress game play, move sets, and stage/AT/music representation ideas too for we may want Bandana Waddle Dee but the package of a playable Bandana Waddle Dee comes with more than a pretty icon
  6. Be positive representation of the Smash community as power and respect commands influence
Is there anything else? If we can agree on the basic things we need to do, we can get to work on the nitty-gritty aspects.
It's about time we get confirmation that he's an unique character. Star Allies has made me a lot more hopeful for his prospective inclusion, especially since DLC is a probability.
BWD is the fourth main protagonist of the Kirby series at this point. He offers a unique moveset and would be the fourth character for one of Ninty's biggest franchises. He's also been prevalent in many games and Star Allies seems to help his chances of relevancy. He's also pretty popular. Giving him lots of support.
I'd say it's a stretch to call King Dedede a protagonist, more like an anti-hero.
This is the result of Wind Element + Bandana Dee

God help us all
Now this needs to be part of his move set.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh I love Star Allies already.
While I'm here, consider me a supporter. Bandana Dee is, in this relative outsider's opinion, the most likely newcomer for Smash 5 (other than the Inklings, who are already confirmed and were a shoe-in anyway) seeing how Kirby, one of Nintendo's most major series, went without a new rep last game and Dee has the advantage of being the fourth member of Kirby's "main" cast, so to speak, and practically having a moveset written for him already, so I'd say his chances are looking very, very good - hell, I can see him being revealed realistically as early as E3. Besides, I really love the Spear ability, and would love to give it a spin in Smash.
...as early as?

We have a given of less than eight months before this game comes out, I wouldn't call three months away "early." I'd call it pretty late if we hear nothing on Smash until then.

D

Deleted member

Trophy for Bandana Dee. If he gets in yeah obviously he gets one. But there maybe others he could get too.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Hey can we still post Dee movesets?
I've been thinking of one but it won't be complete until I've played him in Star Allies...

D

Deleted member

Hey can we still post Dee movesets?
I've been thinking of one but it won't be complete until I've played him in Star Allies...
Absolutely. If you got ideas, share with us!
im not sure about rigging but seeing as people seemingly could vote as many times as possible its entirely possible that some people just voted for the one character over and over again

so you cant really say who the real most wanted character was when its entirely possible it was a smaller number of people just endlessly voting

and from some of the other stories ive heard about you get the feeling that the top choice in the ballot was one of the troll characters or something very inappropriate
Seriously?

Sakurai said that he did monitor the ballot, taking out duplicate votes. Two million votes is a large sample to decide characters from and it's not unreasonable at all to assume that he didn't win the ballot.

It's been over two years and there are still people hanged up over the final ballot results. Everyone here needs to move on and figure out how to cultivate more support for Bandanna Dee so that if Star Allies isn't enough to get Sakurai's attention, our efforts will.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Am I mad or did Kotaku just post two contradicting articles on Star Allies?

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I'd like to be added as a supporter! I feel like if we do get a new Kirby rep he's the most likely to be added, seeing as he's basically the player four of modern Kirby games and has moveset potential.

Top Bottom