• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bananas: Why?

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I don't use Diddy all that often, but I see a lot of emphasis on the bananas. I'm not quite sure on what their tactical usage is.

Anyone want to help me out?

The Mark

Smash Apprentice
The bananas can be left on the field for roughly 15 seconds. In that time if the enemy(s) aren't careful they can slip on them and in turn, knock them down, giving diddy an advantage on the character(s) to do whatever.

You can drop two at a time. They are really useful.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Also, a big use for them is to start a combo with them, you can glide toss them toward the enemy, they will trip, and you can follow it up with a combo or attack. It helps ALOT. Naners ftw.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Of course you need to master them. But he was asking how to master them ;)

*First post BTW* ^^
The OP was asking "Why", not "How". :p

And the best way to understand the power of bananas is to fight a good Diddy. You will learn to fear them soon enough. ;) If you can't fight against a good Diddy, watching some vids of one can help too.

And welcome Robiin. :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
apparently i fought a few mirror matches with a diddy that won a SF regional tourney. He beat me everytime, but I'd say I didnt do too bad for having him down to 1 life about everytime when i didnt start playing the game until 3/9, when he bought the japanese version day 1.

Anyway, playing him taught me quite a bit about bananas and diddy control in general. Go look for a good diddy and you may learn something getting your *** kicked. I know i did

Soapy J

Smash Rookie
watch paoolkim on youtube! he makes excellent use of the bananas. you can use them to help you control the area in front of you, to initiate combos, or even to help you guard the ledge

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Usually with good use you can rack up dmg by just tossing them consecutively, it does about 4% per naner. I'm thinking about making Diddy my main, but not sure if I can get his aerials down to well.

Also, its rather embarassing when you slip on your own naners :(. surely I'm not the only one?

paOol

Smash Apprentice
Bananas are a big part of diddy's metagame. they are good for mindgames and combos. you can just spam throw bananas at your enemy and rack up some decent damage , or you can leave them on the edge so if they tech roll, they land on the banana and trip (free hit for you).
simply, its one of his best moves so why not take advantage of it?
you can also place 2 bananas next to you one on your left and one on your right and some characters with no projectiles will try to keep away from you, or they 'll jump to get to you and you have the advantage with aerials.

watch paoolkim on youtube! he makes excellent use of the bananas. you can use them to help you control the area in front of you, to initiate combos, or even to help you guard the ledge
mmm, i wouldn't say they are excellent , but i do think my banana game is pretty decent :laugh:. however, i'll be sure to get in lots of sick banana combos in my next combo video and maybe add a section teaching how to set them up etc.

pesticide

Smash Lord
the question is not WHY use nanners, but why NOT use nanners?

they're an integral part to any diddy's metagame, combo game, etc.

and plus: bananas are tasty :p

Top Bottom