• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banana Spam: The Diddy Players View

Veggi

Smash Champion
I would consider Diddy's bananas spam. However spam doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's just a negative title. Typically spam does not require any skill which is why people thing badly of the title "spam." However Diddy's bananas require tons of tech skill to be effective, they can be used against you if you're not careful and they are great for setting up other moves. I don't use Diddy Kong, but I love the addition of bananas into Smash Bros. and I love the character and the moveset that goes along beautifully with his bananas.

If I had the option to take away tripping from Brawl at the cost of taking away bananas, I wouldn't take it. Bananas are a great addition to Diddy's character and regardless of whether they would be considered spam or not, I don't believe it matters because it doesn't follow the reasons for why people would dislike spam. Personally I love having matches with Diddy Kong, when I use him he looks unbelievably slow, but when I see Diddy Kong mains use him, he looks faster than every character in Melee.

Staco

Smash Champion
Hmm some people call me a banana spammer and it insults me a little =/ I don't really see it as the regular spam, it's an art. You don't just press a button like with other characters. And it has much more depth and the enemy can steal them too and you have to get them out first etc...

Btw, I wanted to make a topic like this too xD

because bananas are ****ing nooby lp :p
its realy not an art, to throw a banana, and attack after that (or grab)
its really spammy, and not an art

I know a diddy player (you know, who I mean lp) and he only uses banana attacks
its ****ing spammy
and he is ****ing nooby
if he would use no bananas, I would 3 stock him
in the time, where he has got no bananas on the field, I make him 50+ damage
in like 10 seconds

Player-1

Smash Legend
Learning curve doesn't change the fact that it's spam you freaking moron.
Skyflyer, i just got done reading the thread you made and you really need to learn how to avoid bananas. You use mk and you're complaining? I hate scrubs like you who think diddy is cheap because they 'spam' bananas just because you cant beat them.

Jk =p.

But 2 things
1. Since the bananas can be used by anyone then diddy is taking just taking advantage of whats on the field and keeping that advantage away from the opponent.
2. You're not really spamming because you're not using the same move over and over again. You're using 2 moves in 1 animation. You're rolling when you glide toss, and a Back glide toss is different from a forward glide toss and you're inputing different button commands for each. So you're using rolls and tosses so far...well to glide toss we need to have bananas out so diddy's b down counts. Then there is the dash attack and side b through the mix of it. Then we'll have the occasional anything else that i'll count as 1 move.

So there are 6 moves that go into 'banana spamming' 6 moves that you do frequently...that just doesn't sound like spam to me.

Mithx I live in *******/Alpharetta

DevinAmir1

Smash Rookie
So what, you can jazz up the throwing of the bananas?

It's still throwing bananas over and over again, same move over and over again=spam.

I can change the strength of ROB's laser / gyro, I can bounce them, and I can do alot of things with them, but it's still the same darn move, if I use it over and over, it's spam.

People just needs to get over the fact that they spam and move on.

Spam=Brawl

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
If only Diddy had a tornado..........

Would you call Snake's mines spam Skyflyer? They are to be strategically placed in areas to manipulate the other players movements. Hay wait! That sounds a lot like bananas!
If he uses nothing but those then yes it is spam.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Skyflyer, i just got done reading the thread you made and you really need to learn how to avoid bananas. You use mk and you're complaining? I hate scrubs like you who think diddy is cheap because they 'spam' bananas just because you cant beat them.

Jk =p.

But 2 things
1. Since the bananas can be used by anyone then diddy is taking just taking advantage of whats on the field and keeping that advantage away from the opponent.
2. You're not really spamming because you're not using the same move over and over again. You're using 2 moves in 1 animation. You're rolling when you glide toss, and a Back glide toss is different from a forward glide toss and you're inputing different button commands for each. So you're using rolls and tosses so far...well to glide toss we need to have bananas out so diddy's b down counts. Then there is the dash attack and side b through the mix of it. Then we'll have the occasional anything else that i'll count as 1 move.

So there are 6 moves that go into 'banana spamming' 6 moves that you do frequently...that just doesn't sound like spam to me.

Mithx I live in *******/Alpharetta
Read the thread again. There is a disclaimer in caps.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If you ask me, the argument is pointless.

What constitutes spam is entirely subjective and not worth discussing at all.
I'd call it spam.

Actually, I agree with the idea of effective spamming being a skill. Projectile Zoning is one of the most important skills in Brawl, especially with the unique properties of the banana. Pit's arrow 'spam' Snake's Spam, and spam, to me, is a spectacle to behold.

Top Bottom