• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banana Mindgames Thread

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
I was talking to AZ for a brief moment last night about things Diddy can do to mind**** his opponent. And I started thinking, "Wow, this is something I should really work on. But hey! Why not make a topic on Smashboards getting ideas from the rest of the Diddy community!"

Anyways, I don't know if there's a topic like this, or if this is just a sub-discussion that goes into another topic. But hey, at least I tried.

Not sure how I'm going to organize this but, I'm going to wait before updating and make sure this topic isn't really just a flop in the making.

Mindgames, son (No johns):
.When facing characters with reflectors (Pit, Spacies Zelda, etc.) they will use that reflector almost every time they feel threatened by a banana. So, when bananas are out on the field, approach said character, and do an backwards upwards glide toss. This will more than likely set off the reflector as they think they are getting hit. Then grab the second banana (if it is nearby) and proceed to banana them.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think the topic warrants merit because as Diddy players we are all always trying to reinvent the wheel (aka, the Banana). I think it's important that we don't just assume that we already know how to best maximize the bananas, nor do we assume that there's any one best way to use them.

I'd like to post more of my thoughts, but I'm at work right now lolz.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
heres something, hold on to your banana awhile and just use other moves like peanuts and flipkicks. One of two things happens

1. Your opponent is like "WTF when is he going to throw it?!"
2. Your opponent forgets you even have a naner and you get an easy hit.

works good vs. people with reflectors

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If you crawl and angle the directional stick you can dtilt and even f-tilt while holding the banana.
(TM Le_THieN)

ADHD

Smash Hero
There are no banana mindgames, diddy isn't really a mindgame character with bananas--simply because he doesn't need them. It's all about limiting your opponent's options and guessing which move your opponent will take is next... however, naner-less mindgames are somewhat really handy. Dribbling is more of a space thing imo, I don't use it for mindgames. Peanut gun canceling is meh, and you can only use it at most 2 times a match before your opponent catches on.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
In that case; I'd like to contribute.

If Double Dribbling wasn't enough of a mindgame, I recently discovered a fast maneuvurement(spell check?) that gives you some analyzation time as your opponent lets his/her guard down.

Procedure: Glide toss down, then preferably pick it up by dashing using the c-stick (down). Repeat as fast as you can.

If you can do it fast enough and repeat it several times, this can be surprsing.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai

If Double Dribbling wasn't enough of a mindgame, I recently discovered a fast maneuverment that gives you some analyzation time as your opponent lets his/her guard down.

Procedure: Glide toss down, then preferably pick it up by dashing using the c-stick (down). Repeat as fast as you can.

If you can do it fast enough and repeat it several times, this can be surprsing.

Count

Smash Champion

If Double Dribbling wasn't enough of a mindgame, I recently discovered a fast maneuverment that gives you some analyzation time as your opponent lets his/her guard down.

I believe this is NL's banana wheel, but a useful tactic indeed!

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace

Wait, I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say. So, instead of picking up the banana within the dribble, Downards Glide Toss and dash attack towards the banana to pick it up instead?

Also, that's what she said @ the very last part.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Wait, I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say. So, instead of picking up the banana within the dribble, Downards Glide Toss and dash attack towards the banana to pick it up instead?

Also, that's what she said @ the very last part.
Maybe I should clarify for those who did not understand:

Down Glide Toss; Pickup with a dash attack (using down c-stick). Repeat rapidly.

DUB

Smash Lord
In my opinion, you can't put down on paper what is, and what isn't a mindgame. Everybody knows the defenition of a mindgame, it's manipulating your opponent into a situation they don't expect or predict. So saying double dribble some naners and throw it isn't truly a mindgame. It can work, sure. Your opponent may be predicting a thrown banana out of the dribbling.

You can double dribble back and forth and then single dribble up and dash grab them because the opponent predicted a thrown banana and shielded in one scenario. This would qualify as a mindgame.

What I'm getting at is a mindgame can only be based off of an opponents play and they way you manipulate them during it. These other tricks are merely little traps you can get an opponent stuck in forcing them into a bad situation.

Top Bottom