• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balancing the game... with college.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
So who here goes to college and plays smash? It's one thing when your in highschool and everything is so easy it's embarassing; it's another thing entirely in college. I love smash, I always have but I've got a serious girlfriend now, a fulltime college schedule and a job. How do you guys manage to get to tournaments? Any suggestions?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
We have Bi-weekly tournaments here, so getting to them isn't all that hard. Then again, I pretty much devote all the time I'm not in class or studying to Smash.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Do what we did... start up a smash club at your school. Biweekly meets. Find out if people at neighboring schools play as well, and it won't be long before you can easily set up tournaments.

Rash

Smash Ace
I'm in college, and I play Smash. Just with my roommates, for now though. Biggest problem is, I can't connect online; the WiFi USB adapter gets too much interference and the LAN adapter can't connect due to firewall issues.

You just have to manage your free time correctly if you want to satisfy your Brawling needs. If you have ANY desire to go to tournaments and the like, plan it WAY ahead. Just don't sacrifice the more important aspects of your life for Smash; it's just a videogame, after all.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Time management is key. I only play after classes are done, after my studying is done and after my social life not involving Brawl. It actually works pretty well considering how I can play a good few hours of Brawl every other night.

Zek

Smash Ace
There isn't really any balancing to be done, all of those things take priority over Brawl. So just take care of them all first and play when you have free time.

Poel

Smash Cadet
I have a serious girlfriend (spend hours daily with her), am working intensely on college coursework (independent research in preparation for PhD applications in the fall), and have some friends. But I smash all the time. It's a small college, but me and some more serious smashers still make time on a weekly basis to play for a while, in addition to our solo hours clocked each week.

But the two main pieces of advice are:
A - Don't play a video game instead of something related to friends, or schoolwork.
B - Don't waste time doing nothing in a day. All that time added up means more smash.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Just focus on your priorities, then play Smash Bros whenever you get the chance or just play it with your friends when you invite them over.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I managed to stay on the Dean's list while still playing tournament smash, and having a g/f and an internship.

Of course, it was all really a product of scheduling. I'm an afternoon person, that is to say I cognitively function a lot better in the mid-late afternoon. So, I made my classes accordingly.

However, my biological clock kept getting me up around 10 or 11. With no class until 2, and being done at 5 or six, I was able to smash every day from 10/11 to about 1:00. I'd go to class, come back and get dinner and get some work out of the way. On weeknights, after that I would smash. On weekends, I wouldn't touch it. My internship was a couple days a week for only a few hours in the early morning, so on those days I didn't get my morning smash in.

All in all, its the exact same as doing ANY 'extracurricular' activity in college: Intramurals, Clubs, etc. Just 'schedule' things that you can (e.c's and such) and then work around what you *can't*. But like everyone else for the most part has said- school definately comes first. Dont go to a tournament if ya dun ave the $ of time, or if you wanna spend time w/ your gf that weekend. Really, no one at the tourney your friends with will hassle you. If they do, they need to seriously get a life.

Time management, prioritizing are the keys.

Top Bottom