• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balancing the Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
What would you change to our wonderful bird to make him a better (but still balanced) character? I'd give his Down B and Down Smashes SLIGHTLY larger hitboxes and I'd make his lasers either A) Have further reduced ending lag or B) Increase the damage by 2 or 3% to make them at least useful for damage purposes.

Personally I like the idea of having his lasers being super slow and punishable but also yielding wonderful damage when used and spaced properly. It makes him a really interesting zoning character

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Here are some of my opinions i wrote on the community patch thread for falco changes
1: Reduce landing lag on dair
2: Make his side b have a full hitbox throught the whole animation instead of roughly 75% of it
3: reduce the recovery frames on lasers and I also like what you mentioned about buffing laser damage
4:Fix falcos jab combo so it doesnt get interrupted before the 3rd hit connects, either make the 3rd hit come out faster or remove the recovery frames on the 2nd hit so falco can shield

ProtoFenix

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProtoFenix
Here are some of my opinions i wrote on the community patch thread for falco changes
2: Make his side b have a full hitbox throught the whole animation instead of roughly 75% of it
3: reduce the recovery frames on lasers and I also like what you mentioned about buffing laser damage
4:Fix falcos jab combo so it doesnt get interrupted before the 3rd hit connects, either make the 3rd hit come out faster or remove the recovery frames on the 2nd hit so falco can shield
I thought they fix falcos jab combo in the 1.0.4 update.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Wow I totally forgot about his horrible 3rd jab. I always just use a tilt or shield after the first two hits, but I totally agree that his jab should be made impossible to mash out of

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Wow I totally forgot about his horrible 3rd jab. I always just use a tilt or shield after the first two hits, but I totally agree that his jab should be made impossible to mash out of
In a perfect world i hope our bird gets some better patching treatment. Id love more damage on lasers. Dair needs to have reduced lag its inconsistent to combo out of when it stage bounces people since falco likes to do a "cool" pose when he lands...lol

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
I think if they either fix his lasers ( same speed but more damage, or same damage but less lag)
or revert his dair back to Brawl, (Fast, long duration hitbox, but sweetspot for spike in beginning)
then he'll immediately be balanced.

Give him both and he'll be top tier.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Falco's very good in my opinion. He doesn't really need buffing at all, a few of the top tiers just need some toning down.

Dtilt combos into uair followups at almost all %s and is a viable kill move as well, dthrow combos into dash attack and usmash up until like 40% against most characters. Low forward B is very safe and combos into both uair and bair at kill %s. Uair is a great antiair/juggling kill move and bair is one of the best kill moves in the entire game, it's absurdly powerful, super fast and has low amounts of lag. Falco's dair, while severely nerfed, is still one of the best spikes in the game, you have to keep it in mind. Combined with his improved recovery, Falco's in a very nice place.

The only thing I really would change is making Falco's laser a little better because currently it's practically never worth using, but it's not needed to make Falco good.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Pretty much this for me. I would take # 2 or #4 in a heartbeat especially #2 or give me the ability to shorten the distance on it again but if they do that they would have to do it for Fox as well. #1 I can get down with or make the spiking properties a little stronger.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
What would you change to our wonderful bird to make him a better (but still balanced) character? I'd give his Down B and Down Smashes SLIGHTLY larger hitboxes and I'd make his lasers either A) Have further reduced ending lag or B) Increase the damage by 2 or 3% to make them at least useful for damage purposes.

Personally I like the idea of having his lasers being super slow and punishable but also yielding wonderful damage when used and spaced properly. It makes him a really interesting zoning character
give him a better level 1 and make his level 3 cost less

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
For me, I'd say:

1. Buff laser damage and maybe make them auto-cancelable again?
2. Reduce startup on Dair
3. Let SideB have full hitboxes during the whole move

and I guess... that's it.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
To be honest, Falco is a horrible character atm. They need to change a lot of things if you want him to be tournament viable, in my opinion:

- No lag on laser when hopping (SHDL or at least SHL)
- Give back his Brawl dair
- Full sideB with hitbox
- Fix jab
- Give him more true combos and possibilities of follow-ups (MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME)
- Increase down smash range

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
To be honest, Falco is a horrible character atm. They need to change a lot of things if you want him to be tournament viable, in my opinion:

- No lag on laser when hopping (SHDL or at least SHL)
- Give back his Brawl dair
- Full sideB with hitbox
- Fix jab
- Give him more true combos and possibilities of follow-ups (MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME)
- Increase down smash range
While he does need some of these things I dont think he needs all of them. It's to balance him, not make him top tier.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
In addition to his dair having less start up frames and reduced land lag, I want his up smash to be fixed. So many times have I wiffed that second hit.
He needs less lag on his lasers. I would also ask for him to just be slightly faster overall, everything else is just fine to me.
Some of the other comments make some good points though, especially his jab combo

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
In addition to his dair having less start up frames and reduced land lag, I want his up smash to be fixed. So many times have I wiffed that second hit.
yea I forgot to mention this, I've had instances where my opponent would land right infront of me and I through out a perfectly timed up smashed and the move would whiff entirely leaving me wide open. Like wtf mang

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is a weird idea to balance him, but would anyone be against Falco using dual blasters, no, all right, time to explain this hypothetical change that if he had them in SSB4. Ever since I saw the cutscene of Falco using dual blasters, I always wanted him to use them.

Here's the changes: Falco gets dual blasters; self-explanatory. In the air, Falco shoots faster and is parallel to the ground giving him a smaller vertical hit box. The end lag is still the same - we'll use Falco's position in the air as a reason -, but Falco can SHDL. Oh, end lag, but it'll be similar to Fair's where he's almost flat on the ground, so an attack can potentially whiff him, especially if someone screws up and angles a side tilt up or even a regular side tilt instead of a downwards one.

On the ground, Falco shoots twice automatically, but delays his second shot sort of creating a platformer obstacle like in Mario. There's space between the shots, but the opponent has to dodge it somehow. This... might break him even if it travels the same distance. The end lag still stays the same, though.

The alternatives are Falco just shoots regularly with dual blasters or he could shoot lasers one over the other, so the hit box is slightly larger.

I really wished Falco had dual blasters. It's just so cool and so something he would (and did) do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom