• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair spike?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ok. Here goes. I don't play CF too much, but while messing around with him in training mode against a D3, I used a bair when D3 was in the air and spiked him down into the stage, or at least I THINK thats what happened, it seemed like CF's hand hit him, so maybe if the bottom of the hand hits it spikes? I'm not able to test this further now, but just wanted to put it out there in case you guys find it useful. Oh, and if this was already known, I'm sorry, and please don't flame too much.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...

A replay would be a lot more helpful. I'm to tired to look into this now, but I might look into it tomorrow.

Also: Was this against another person or a comp? It could just be bad DI.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Don't have a capture card sadly. It was in training against a computer, and the spike wasn't particularly strong IIRC. Probably not worth looking into, but who knows, could actually be useful in some situations, but the hitbox that spikes is probably too hard to control to intentionally use for spiking, I dunno.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Well I've tried BAiring a jumping D3 on FD a few dozen times and havn't gotten such a hit. If it works it's probably only at certain percents, like with Knee tripping.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It was probably bad DI.

Sonic's F-air can semi spike with downwards DI, and his B-air can shoot someone up vertically if they DI so.

Computers in Stop sometimes SDI/DI downwards.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, Tenki's probably right... I'm going to try this out a little bit more to see if I can do it again, but if not, I probably just started seeing things. It happens sometimes, when you play brawl at 11 30 but its 6 30where you were yesterday >.>

Well, yeah, I just tried it for a while and I sent DDD at a slightly downwards angle twice, but I don't think I hit with the full brunt of the attack cause it was weaker than it should've been, even though I hit with the initial hitbox. Even if its not DI, it most likely won't be useful at all, and I haven't gotten an actual spike yet. Sorry for posting before testing it fully, but I guess this thread will be up in case a fluke like this happens to someone and they can record it. And if you still want to test it, post your findings here, even though its most likely not worth your time to test it.

EDIT: I tested it this time on jump, so I doubt there would be downwards DI, but who knows. I don't remember what I tested it on before.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I've thought about it and it probably was bad DI (as stated by Tenki). I've done DSmash on a falling opponent and it sometimes shoots them much lower than the normal knockback angle (it's more like Falco's DSmash). They were probably just holding down to fastfall and try to shield or dodge as soon as possible. Probably the same thing here, since you say it was too slow to be a real spike.

Top Bottom