• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair Cancel?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Alright, I hope the title for this doesn't suck.

Anyway, I picked up DK a few weeks ago after trying him out with friends, needed a second to make up for Sonic's MANY short comings. Broke him out at a tourney for the first time yesterday and got really good results(for a noob that's only been hitting up tourneys for a bit and has no one around him to play between tourney's). I've noticed something and I'm wondering if anyone has the timing on this down better so I can pull it off a bit more consistently.

I've found that when players I'm against start to get sick of my barrage of Bairs I can occasionally manage to space a bair so it would whiff. (This is where my explanation starts to sound weird.) There seems to be a specific timing in it though where the Bair cancels and moves into a forward smash. It's incredibly similar to what happens to a Dsmash when your on the ledge(to the point of having that specific animation) and you hit a shield pushing you off during the Smash. It'll autocancel to a Dair.

I don't, actually believe the Bair is cancelling into a Fsmash, espcially since at some point the game is taking in the command to turn DK. I'm not sure if I'm double tapping the Cstick and taking huge advantage of low landing lag or what. It seems to move into the Smash rather quickly, but it's probably a trick of the eyes.

Anyway, I've found doing this at what an oppenant expects to be a whiffed Bair that they can try and punish or wait to see what you do next comes in useful as you can catch them off guard with the Fsmash. I've taken a stock off a few good players with this move.

I'm just wondering, does anyone else do this? Is there a timing to it or am I really just starting a second move really quickly by double tapping and not noticing. I have a tendency to do certain things on instinct when I play, and I'm not sure how this one is working and it's causing a small problem as I'm not doing it consistently.

Again, I do not mean to say "ZOMG NEW AT ACE CANCEL!" or anything. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the timing on this, or anything. If it's simply a double tap or a specific point where you force a change in the attack you're using or anything as it'll make my attempts to use it more consitent, and hopefully, more succesful.

Does anyone know anything about this or anything else that can come from the strange sorta cancels programed into the game?

(I only compare this to a cancel with out being sure if it even is one because I'm so used to Sonic and having to be careful of the Dsmash canceling into a Dair as his Dsmash does strange things on the ledge and it is something noob Sonic's have to be careful off when they're learning him as it can lead to SD's if you don't know it can happen.)

EDIT: I over explain very simple things. Big apologies for the wall of text.

tl;dr version: Is there a specific timing to land a bair into a fsmash? Does it autocancel at certain height from the ground that is lower than expected? Is there so little landing lag from one that isn't complete that the move can just be Csticked into with quick fingers? Or is there a possibility that there's a certain point where it's like a Dsmash that get's pushed off the a ledge?

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Bair is virtually lagless. Sounds like you're just landing after a bair and buffering an fsmash so it comes out asap.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Alright. In that case I'll just have to work on buffering in general. Thanks. That's something I needed to start doing anyway to pick up speed.

Top Bottom