• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back when events had meaning.

Bubbly Turtle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bubbly Turtle
So am I the only one who feels Event Pokemon are a lot more boring nowadays as apposed to back in the day? I recently got my Diance and shiny Gengar. Receiving event Pokemon now is just plain boring. I enjoy having events but remember when events had meaning? where you had to literally FIND mew in grass, or you have to boat off with a special pass to go on a remote island where Victini was heald captive. By all meand add more interesting events below. Diance shocking had an event, but it was a VERY boring event where a butler and maid basically try to rob you politely. It was a pointless scene and had no meaning. Basically they just throw an extra pokemon into the game and you claim a Legendary or rare Pokemon from some mail lady (She must be like an undercover legendary/rare catcher or something, Cuz that chick always got your package no matter what time and day, kinda of like a drug dealer... she got the good stuff) and call it a day. Am I the only one who feels this way? let me know what you think.

Sgtxam

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sgtxam
3DS FC
2964-8815-6265
Yes I agree. I remember in diamond and pearl when I found the locked door in canavalve or that rock after victory roads secret exit. I didn't know what they were, and that intrigued me! IMO the diancie event should have unlocked like the "Mega Diamond" or something that opened a secret area in the reflection cave, and if you brought it to parfum palace you would get diamond storm or something

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
The whole series has just gotten dull to me. X and Y was just horrid. I think the whole emphasis on Nature and Abilities thing killed the series to me. I know it's just me cause everyone seems to love those features but i can't get into them.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm with you. I loved the old Gen III events. I loved the Deoxys event, which I feel was the epitome of what events should be. Exciting, Mysterious, Intense, Adventuring. I loved who you got to explore a rare island & fight and capture a legendary Pokémon. I Events like Faraway Island, Southern Island, Navel Rock, and Birth Island captured the essence of Pokémon and what gave it that mystery. All the kids on the playground whisper and spread rumours of these rare Pokémon and Islands. Nowadays GF just hand our rare Pokémon like candy, and it took away from the greatness of the series.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I want more events where I actually get to FIGHT the Pokemon. Seriously, Victini was the only one we got in Gen V and we didn't get ANYTHING since then. That's sad. I loved those kind of events.

Rick Sure

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrJigglypuff1996
I agree. I was very dissapointed with the like, 20 lines of text you get with Diancie and then, BOOM its yours. It's just a longer way for them to give it to you. I wanna be able to unlock new areas when I do events. I remember in Gen 4, the Arceus event was freakin awsome. Do something like that again Nintendo/Game Freak!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree. I was very dissapointed with the like, 20 lines of text you get with Diancie and then, BOOM its yours. It's just a longer way for them to give it to you. I wanna be able to unlock new areas when I do events. I remember in Gen 4, the Arceus event was freakin awsome. Do something like that again Nintendo/Game Freak!
And the unfortunate thing is, Azure Flute was never even officially distributed.

I agree, though. Events have always seemed kind of...pointless to me, but I've felt they're a lot more justified when you actually do something in-game. Otherwise it's a super-rare Pokemon that you just get, which sort of seems to contradict the whole idea of catching them all. (I know it's not the motto anymore, but that's still the goal.)

If they're just going to throw Pokemon into the game like that, I really wish they'd just make them all available by Wi-Fi. Though in the end, I still am uncomfortable with the fact that events hinder replayability to some extent.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So am I the only one who feels Event Pokemon are a lot more boring nowadays as apposed to back in the day? I recently got my Diance and shiny Gengar. Receiving event Pokemon now is just plain boring. I enjoy having events but remember when events had meaning? where you had to literally FIND mew in grass, or you have to boat off with a special pass to go on a remote island where Victini was heald captive. By all meand add more interesting events below. Diance shocking had an event, but it was a VERY boring event where a butler and maid basically try to rob you politely. It was a pointless scene and had no meaning. Basically they just throw an extra pokemon into the game and you claim a Legendary or rare Pokemon from some mail lady (She must be like an undercover legendary/rare catcher or something, Cuz that chick always got your package no matter what time and day, kinda of like a drug dealer... she got the good stuff) and call it a day. Am I the only one who feels this way? let me know what you think.
Yeah. I definitely prefer when you had to catch the event Pokémon.

But now you just get it from some mail lady.
"Hey, I got an ancient Pokémon with legendary powers, even though I am just an average employee of the postal service. You want it?"

It started with Arceus. I remember when I was 9 or 10, and didn't know much about gaming, and didn't really use the internet (my parents didn't really let me at that age, which I think is good, it taught me how to solve my own problems without Google).
My friend told me he got a Pokémon called Arceus through and online trade, and I said he was lying.

Eventually I decided to have my Dad look it up for me, and I saw a video where somebody caught Darkrai (who I already knew about), Shaymin (who I knew nothing about), and sure enough, Arceus.

When I went to the Pokémart, and the mailman wasn't there, I became confused.

After research, I found out what hacking was and what an Action Replay was.

Long story short, I got one but didn't know how codes worked, and I made my Explorers of Darkness pretty much unplayable by experimenting with hacks.

I ende up finding out what Mystery Gifts are, and I patiently waited for events.

When the Darkrai and Shaymin item events came, I hacked in Master Balls (something I regret to this day) and caught them.

Then the Arceus event came around, and I was kinda confused. They gave you the Pokémon directly (I also did a Regigigas event like this earlier), and they didn't use the awesome catching scene with you playing the flute and making stairs appear on Spear Pillar. I actually didn't get the event because my friend was talking to me in class and we both got in trouble, and my mom didn't let me get it (remember, 9 years old).
Though my friend managed to get the event.

Then when B&W, there were still not capturing events.

And here I am now, years later, waiting for a chance to redeem myself for hacking, while watching my little 8 year-old brother be better than I am at video games, or at least more determined.
He kept soft-resetting to get Deoxys. That means he had to catch Rayquaza over, and over, and over again just to get to Deoxys.

I'm hoping Hoopa has a capturing event, and I think there is an OK chance, as
[collapse=spoilers from hackers]
It has a new form that is important to the game's plot.[/collapse]

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You actually don't need to catch ray over and over again for deoxys, you can kill it, beat the E4 twice, and then it'll respawn at Sky Pillar, allowing SRing for it to be much easier...

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Every main series game since Platinum has had that feature, of being able to refight Legendaries you KO. But I admit it's a feature not really mentioned much so I can understand people having no idea it's even possible.

KoE

Smash Rookie
So many people thought the extra areas for the Power Plant in the desert in XY was gonna lead to an even. A damn shame it didn't, I wouldn't mind another Birth Island event. All of them from, even from Gen II with the GS ball have been hype.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I'm honestly still upset that there are no pretty much no events in my region.

GameFreak don't you care about us ? :sick:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I've never had a single event Pokemon that I haven't either been given or hacked for in some way. I knew they existed ever since Gen3, but I was never able to find out when an event was. Eventually I got a few event Pokemon (in Gen 4), but they never gave out the capture items, just the Pokemon themselves. I didn't catch Darkrai, Arceus, Deoxys, etc. until I bought an Action Replay and Gameshark and spawned in the event item.

Really though, I don't like the idea of event Pokemon. If you ever want to start a new adventure, and you have any event Pokemon, you guarantee that you'll never get them again on that game. I'd rather it was some strange, cryptic method that you either come across on your own or have to look up on the Internet. Not printed in any strategy guide. Something crazy, like beat the Elite 4 5 times in under 40 minutes and then talk to these random NPCs in a certain order to get the event flag. Something like Gen1's Mew glitch is also suitably cryptic. The way event Pokemon are given out breaks immersion for me. Heck, I'd even prefer Gen3's Regi system to how they're given out now. Sure, no sighted small child will be able to read Braille, but at least it's accessible in-game.

Top Bottom