• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back from Haiti

izzy24

Smash Ace
Hey guys I spent 7 days in Haiti doing some missionary work with my church's ministry called "Come Over Ministry" and another one called "Projecto America". It really was an experience i will never forgive, i never imagined that i would ever see and do what I saw and did over there. Misery and human desperation, brokeness, but at the same time fear and hope....from going to one of the most dangerous parts of Port o Prince WITHOUT any security to give food, water and medical to hundreds of ppl (we were only 27) to building tents inside a crowd of desperate ppl and even being chased.

I tell u this not for praise or charity case, but to let u know that if u think ur life sucks.......atleast u have a home, water and food.

P.s.....the chasing part was pretty cool btw though :) and i'll try to upload pics whenever i can if u guys want (its worse than what tv shows)

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Man. Things like this help restore the little faith I have in churches. (Somewhat ignorant statement I know but a lot of mainstream church is filled with BS)

Obviously you can tell I'm not of the religious type.

Your kind works wont go unrewarded, I'm sure in the future you will be repaid. Somehow

izzy24

Smash Ace
i know what u mean bro...how can u tell someone God loves u when u dont provide them supplies for their immediate need, that was our main goal of the trip. Spiritual healing is really important but ur ignorant if u dont care for their physical needs. Jesus didnt just forced any1 into "religion" he helped their physical needs to show his love for them......but now im preaching so i'll stop there :)

izzy24

Smash Ace
LOL the chasing happened the last day, we planned to give "hope boxes", which are pretty much big tents where a bunch of ppl can live in, to one of the areas where we knew ppl needed it. We had a big truck carrying about 70 boxes and a pick up truck with me, my dad, my pastor, and a missionary from california. We started building the tents ourself cause we knew they would kill themselves if we just dropped them and it was all starting good until about the 17th tent where ppl from other neighborhoods heard we were there and started to fight with the ppl from the original place, finally we decide it was too dangerous for our ppl and we stopped at the 19th tent and we tried to get out of there with the pick up truck and the big truck with the boxes behind us.

And then things got worse....

Ppl were starting to surround the big truck with the boxes so finally my pastor pretty much went off into this ramdom plan where he picked like 10 adults, put them in the back of the pick up truck with us four and drive out of the city to give the rest of the boxes, but when we started to drive we saw 2 more pick up trucks full of ppl chasing us for the boxes. We were leading them out of the city cause we tought in the open it would be less fighting but then ppl that lived there also started chasing us!!! so we're like scared cause they might follow us to our camp/hospital where we were staying and raid the whole place so we separated from the truck, in the end we did and they started to chase the big truck like a few miles of where we were staying. and thats pretty much it, we reunited back with the truck with only like 10 boxes left inside it.

if u see me u can ask me then so i can explain it better lol

vZakat

Half Genie
i know what u mean bro...how can u tell someone God loves u when u dont provide them supplies for their immediate need, that was our main goal of the trip. Spiritual healing is really important but ur ignorant if u dont care for their physical needs. Jesus didnt just forced any1 into "religion" he helped their physical needs to show his love for them......but now im preaching so i'll stop there :)
That's totally James 2:16. :)

I never wanted to before, but it seems that my desire to go on a mission trip keeps growing. Maybe in the future I could finally do that (currently have no money). I makes me very excited to see you doing this. I'll be praying for you and your church's future trips.

izzy24

Smash Ace
yup thats it...and thanx man this was actually my first mission trip so it is a very rewarding experience, it was depressing at some points but it was worth it to help out ppl

izzy24

Smash Ace
no man its worse, there's literary like tent cities everywhere, its so bad little kids get into fist fights for water, even worse its little kids and adults fighting for it.

DJRome

Smash Hero
I feel like there should be some engineers there to fix problems. . . i wanna go fix things

izzy24

Smash Ace
dude seriously they have the supplies, the problem is distributing it to the ppl that need it. and my church is already planning on starting the next phase which is to build church-houses that can be used as homes and churches where supplies can be given to those who need them.

Top Bottom