• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B4N (Battle For Norcal) June 4 downtown San Francisco

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
WHEN: Saturday 4th June; 12:00 PM (noon) planned starting time. Starting with Teams, then Low Tier Tournament, then Singles

WHERE: Shaba Games (501 Folsom, San Francisco -- It's just south of the Montgomery Bart station: 1st and Folsom; it's the boring-looking brick building on the southwest corner of the intersection).

FORMAT:

Modified MLG rules, namely:
RULES:

Entry Fees:
Singles: $10
Doubles: ONLY $5 per person ($10 per team)
Low Tier (Ness, Young Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Mr Game and Watch, Bowser, Mewtwo, Pichu): $5 per person

Tournament Rules
•Double Elimination
•All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
•4 stock, 8 minute limit
•Ties broken by lives/percentage
•Items OFF

•Stages:
••Stages limited to the 7 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
••Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Rainbow Cruise, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium
••Stages banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, and Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue
••Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
•Knock-out: Each person knocks out one stage for entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
•Double Blind pick may be called at any time

•Special Team Rules:
• Team Attack ON
• Life stealing allowed

Other Rules & Special Issues

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

-- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.

--You are responsible to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.
So...the story behind this is that I'm a videogame programmer working on an SSBM-inspired game (which is awesome for me, since I have a reason to play Melee at work >_>). A bunch of us from the office would like to see in action/play against high-level players, but our schedules are busy enough to make going to tournaments infeasible. Hence the idea to bring the tournament to us.... (And on the flip side, it'll mean that participants will get a chance to play some unreleased games and see a development studio and stuff like that).

We're shooting for 25 TVs with Smash set up (we have the TVs, but extra Cubes and copys of smash would be appreciated). According to the producer there'll be prizes and refreshments (the prizes being for people who make useful comments on the game we're working on; the refreshments include pop and pizza). We may also be scouting for game testers (as a summer job) during this tournament.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I would certainly be interested in a tournament in the Bay Area, since I have really limited transportation and a well-organized tournament would be great. This would also be a chance for me to play some other people out of my group of friends...I think it's a good idea. Post this in the Norcal/Bay Area/DBR thread and I think you'll get alot more replies.

Geo

Smash Ace
This is like a gift from God.

I clicked on the NorCal topic thinking "**** NorCal has been quiet, nothings been going on" and BAM we get a tourney.

RULES:

Entry Fees:
Singles: $20
Crew/Low Tier: ONLY $5 per person

Tournament Rules
•Double Elimination
•4 stock, 8 minute limit
•Ties broken by lives/percentage
•Items OFF

•Stages:
••Stages limited to the 7 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
••Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Rainbow Cruise, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium
••Stages banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, and Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue
••Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
•Knock-out: Each person knocks out one stage for entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters

•Special Team Rules:
• Team Attack ON
• Life stealing allowed

Other Rules & Special Issues

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

-- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.

^^^ those are the rules from the MLG tourneys and most of the Smash community can agree that those are some of the best rules.

10 TVs should be more than enough for a NorCal tourney and the projector would be great for finals. A match between some decent caliber players usually wont go over 5 minutes and the better players can usually smother scrubs in about 2 (lol).

NorCal is pretty decent sized (expect maybe 40-50 people) but uh we are still lacking in the skill department. DBR consists of 6 pretty **** good players and the rest of us are so-so. DBR has quite possibly the best Link in the nation, so that will be fun for you guys to watch.

Umm as far as running a tourney you guys are in luck cause Scamp is quite famous for making good brackets.

Yeah, if you make it we will come.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
woot! looks good. date is good i think, really hope i can make it.
btw, what company do you program for metroidcomposite? jw =P

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Just for my own purposes, I've always wanted to ask about some of the MLG rules so....
Aren't these two rules contradictory? Or if it's only the loser who calls double-blind, then why would they choose to do so over an Advanced Slob pick?
Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.
Hmm...getting multiple judges who know what to look for could be an issue. (People from the office could be trained, but again time is an issue for many). I don't suppose we could pick up some help here?
I fully suspect that we have 20 GC controllers around, but not a bad idea anyway I suppose so that people can't whine that they lost over a controller....
Entry Fees:
Singles: $20
Crew/Low Tier: ONLY $5 per person
I'll have to talk to the other people in on the organizing, but I imagine people from the office will want to get in free. On the other hand, the producer has been mumbling something about providing free games (I'll try to nail down the details on that; it's probably from the company store, and thus restricted to Activision games) so that might balance out, or something.
10 TVs should be more than enough for a NorCal tourney and the projector would be great for finals. A match between some decent caliber players usually wont go over 5 minutes and the better players can usually smother scrubs in about 2 (lol).

NorCal is pretty decent sized (expect maybe 40-50 people)
•4 stock, 8 minute limit
Hmm...I assume the 5 minute estimation is for one match as opposed to a set of three matches. 50 players each of whom must lose twice means 100 sets, so 300 matches, or 1500 minutes. 10 TVs means 150 minutes (in theory >_>). So...hmm, 2.5 hours? More when factoring in low-tier and and teams, though presumably not everyone will participate in all three. So...more like 5 hours, and allow for a bit more for safety, but yeah that's doable in an afternoon.
btw, what company do you program for metroidcomposite?
Shaba (which is owned by Activision).

Bob Money

Smash Ace
AWESOME DBR WANTS SOME ACTION

May 7th???IS THAT CONFIRMED OR NOT?

MLG rules are good cept for the stages are bad.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

More TVs are good

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Bob Money
MLG rules are good cept for the stages are bad.
I've always thought Pokefloats should be on random...but people seem to think I'm crazy <_< >_>

On a more realistic complaint, the main problem I have with MLG stages on a purely aesthetic level is having all three of Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, and Kirby 64 out of 7 random stages. (They're the same level with minor tweaks...).

Zoap

Smash Master
3-4 of us would show

Mlg rules as Geo said would be the best and about the issues.
1.In the matter of judges u could always have specific players be judges.
2.As far as the two rules that ur havin an issue with, the advanced and blind, as far as i know the blind has to be called at the beggining of the match and the players can not change characters the rest of the match, but the loser still may pick the stage, where as the adv slob pick applys if no blind is used.
3.BYOC(Bring Your Own Controller) is the only way to do tournaments, for those who dont they are outta luck.
4.Entree fees are good because it gives the competition to go after. I dont know wat the exact payout should be but usually for singles its the top 3-4 places and for teams and low tier the top 2.
5.10 tvs is good but like money said the more the better, more tvs mean more ppl playing and less time consuming.
6.4 stock is usually finsished in about 2-3 minutes, even the more skilled finish in less than 5, so the numbers are rite for the stock and time.
7.The Stages are plenty fine if u ask me due to the knockout rule of Mlg, If u dont like the stage just knock it out. I also like Poke FLoats.

If this happens most likely 3-5 of us(Blue Phoenixes) will show up and join in on the crazyness. Great way to wake NorCal back up.

Geo

Smash Ace
You don't need to do a low tier tourney/team tourney if you don't want to or can't fit it in.

Double blind is usually only called for the first match then slob picks kicks in, don't worry about that rule.

Don't worry about judges either, there are very little ways to cheat in this game and well there really isn't a need for judges at all. Smash tourneys run themselves kinda. People watch tourney matches all the time and if someone cheats you will hear about it, trust me.

I'm ashamed to say it but money is a big factor in tourneys, nothing makes you fight harder than a couple hundred dollars at stake. We're only human after all. We are supplying the money so don't worry about that.

I guarantee I will show up along with 2 friends, I gotta talk to TeamScape and see if they are interested in coming, if so expect another 3-4 to come as well.

The 3 stages you mentioned are very very different from each other. FoD wrecks anyone who relies on short hops, ie. Falco. Kirby64 favors characters with good recoveries because the blast zones are so big, the ceiling is incredibly high and the walls are so far out it isn't uncommon for Peach to live to well past 180%. Battlefield has a huge ceiling and so-so walls, it's a great stage for Marth because the platforms let him pick ppl off easier.

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Re: 3-4 of us would show

Originally posted by Zoap 5.10 tvs is good but like money said the more the better, more tvs mean more ppl playing and less time consuming. [/B]
We have, I'd estimate, 50 TVs; that said, purely for simplicity we'll probably want to keep things to one floor (and possibly avoid some awkwardly placed corner offices) which would mean 12-18.

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Okay, talked to the producer, and while the whole thing is on a much larger scale than he was expecting, it seems managable and he's begun talking about planning. However, he wants to do it after E3 (specifically Saturday May 28). (And just for clarity: this suggested date change isn't an April 1 joke). Does this work for people?

Zoap

Smash Master
i like may 8th

i like may 8th but the 28th is ok as long as it doesnt interfer wit MLG San Diego. If it does then u will lose alot of major competitiors to it and i would suggest a reschedule if possible.

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Re: i like may 8th

Originally posted by Zoap
i like may 8th but the 28th is ok as long as it doesnt interfer wit MLG San Diego. If it does then u will lose alot of major competitiors to it and i would suggest a reschedule if possible.
Hmm...forwarded this to the Producer; he's the one who makes all the scheduling decisions in the end, so I won't really know until he replies.

Zoap

Smash Master
thx metroidcomposite

Thx for noticin, most of the time ppl just ignore my posts. May 8th is a good day and if it cant be done then the 28th is good too.

The GERM

Smash Ace
YES, FINALLY!! Here's my suggestion, make singles entry fee 10 bux, and 5 each for teams. And also, talk to Dave aka Scamp, he's great at organizing tournaments, he's been Matt's right hand man throughout the whole TG franchise. If you can for sure get this tournament running like it should, all of DBR will be there no doubt. I actually go to school on Montgomery for videogame character design, so getting there is no problem at all.

The only 2 things to worry about when it comes to running a good tournament is having good rules, and a good setup. MLG rules are kinda the basis for most smash tournament rules nowadays so try not to shy away from that too much. And depending on how many people show up, 8-12 TV's and cubes would be perfect, though it what still be good with a bit less.

Marthby87

Smash Journeyman
Well have fun NorCal cuz as always I will be a no show... :( ...but I really hope that this time will be different.

StuperDuperMan

Smash Journeyman
I second that Hugs.. lol

I really want to go to my first REAL tourney.. see how i fair against all those experienced tourney players. =p

x_cal

Smash Cadet
man this sounds great!!!! I just hope the tourny is on the 28th, cuz on the 7th i have SAT II test lol... as I am still in high school... Well, I am really looking forward to this tourny once it is set up!!! w00t!!!

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by The GERM
Here's my suggestion, make singles entry fee 10 bux, and 5 each for teams.
I've seen one support of this so far; are there any objections?

And also, talk to Dave aka Scamp, he's great at organizing tournaments, he's been Matt's right hand man throughout the whole TG franchise.
Umm as far as running a tourney you guys are in luck cause Scamp is quite famous for making good brackets.
Hmm, how would I get in touch with this Dave/Scamp?

And...one other question on MLG rules. From what I know, controller 1 has a priority advantage over controller 2; is this corrected for at all by the rules (say, by swapping 1p controller to the 3p slot every second match)?

I P Freely

Smash Journeyman
i have no objection to the entry fee

i dont think the 1st player priority thingy makes much of a difference, because the attacks would have be be on the exact same frame (i think, not sure about any of this) and that's not likely. go look at the stats thread in melee discussion. im pretty sure there's no controller changing rule, though

Zoap

Smash Master
DATE ISSUE

Ok about the date. May 8th is mothers day and last time i checked most of us have mothers so i think that weekend is shot. As far as i know E3 is the weekend of the 21st so that weekend isnt good. And since MLG is usually later in the month my guess would be that it will be the weekend of the 28th. So this leaves the 14th which as far as i know is still good for me and others. So my suggestion for a date to be scheduled the 14th of May.

Side Note: I agree about the entree fees that GERM laid down, Listen to the GERM, he is very wise.

SNKE

Smash Journeyman
28th would be the best date...at least I think so

can't wait to play GERM (and the whole DBR crew), SCAMP/Dave, Sam,

hopefully Isai, and everyone else showing up. this is gonna be..............

......Smashing.....:chuckle:

Yes, I know I killed it :cool:

Volroth

Smash Journeyman
Any weekend in may is fine for me, ill be there. I wonder if anyone other than Norcal/bay area will be coming like EC or SoCal, they should come. It will definately be like a mini MLG.

As for the entry fees $10 for singles and $5 for teams is perfect, no complaints from me. We definately need a team tournament. I need to redeem myself a bit for screwing up.

Hey germ I downloaded your "Hylian Nightmare" link combo video, man that stuff is dope.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
So we're all gonna be there then? Well most of norcal anyway?
Good....need2play germ and zel more.

I'm fine with $10, but since im cheap and can't spare the cash please do not raise the fee beyond that.

metroidcomposite: does Shaba have a website?

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
I think May 28th weekend is MLG San Diego. I said I'd try to make it to that, and hopefully I'll be able to, but as of now funds are low. Chances are I wont be able to go to MLG SD, so whichever date is set, expect to see me there with the crew.

Oh yeah, as far as matches go, I want to play everybody I can, and tape all my matches. So If I'm playing someone, just come up and ask to play next. I want to play everyone this time, I didn't get to play many at MLG SF. If I don't find you, find me.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Zelgadîs ™
Oh yeah, as far as matches go, I want to play everybody I can, and tape all my matches. So If I'm playing someone, just come up and ask to play next. I want to play everyone this time, I didn't get to play many at MLG SF. If I don't find you, find me.
Same here, I can't wait to play that new crew that just popped up from Fremont, we're all gonna give them a nice big DBR welcome to the Norcal scene by doing what we do best.....****...and then maybe have some tea or some cookies and sh**. Looks like they have a Falco and a Samus player eh, I think a money match with Sweetness and Nasty sounds good. Looking forward to seeing Teamscape and BPS there too, we're gonna take top 6 spots at this mother fu**er.

hey Treb, I'ma try to sleep over tonight nukka, I'll call you later man, we need to practice for FC3.

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
Originally posted by The GERM
Same here, I can't wait to play that new crew that just popped up from Fremont, we're all gonna give them a nice big DBR welcome to the Norcal scene by doing what we do best.....****...and then maybe have some tea or some cookies and sh**. Looks like they have a Falco and a Samus player eh, I think a money match with Sweetness and Nasty sounds good. Looking forward to seeing Teamscape and BPS there too, we're gonna take top 6 spots at this mother fu**er.

hey Treb, I'ma try to sleep over tonight nukka, I'll call you later man, we need to practice for FC3.
Yay cookies, tea, and Mike's dignity...yum :cool:

Top Bottom