• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-Sticking With Bowser: Tips & Tricks

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
Hey Bowsers! I thought we might need a deeper explanation on the benefits of B-Sticking with Bowser, so I made this mini-guide. I've also found a few cool tricks as I played with Bowser. Let's get started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Control Setup

For pretty much all of the tricks listed, in addition to using B-Sticking, I set L to jump (Ima call this an L-Jump from now on). This is VITAL to a few of the tricks here.

Please note that I use the classic control, although I am positive that all of the tricks listed are also possible on the beloved GC controller, but you may have to be a little faster on the pad.

Infinite Klaw Jump Tech

I'm sure all of you can pull off an infinite klaw jump and know how to do it. On the off chance you don't know how to perform it, simply use your side-b close to the ground and sometime during the animation, jump. Make sure you haven't used your second jump prior to preforming this.

What does this mean for B-Stickers? Here's a not well known trick...

With B-Sticking on, you no longer need to press your jump button after the klaw! The game does it automatically!

Try it. Make sure to press jump on the first jump I was wrong. The game ALWAYS jumps for you. Just push your C-Stick to the side. This makes timing even easier.

Next we need to go over attacking during the jump. With nair, bair, fair, and uair (not dair), you can perform the attack after a klaw jump and then perform another klaw jump. With this you are feared in the air, lagless jumps are pretty fantastic!

Learning how to do this can be kind of hard. The easiest way to master this is by following these steps:

1. Go to training mode. Choose the name with B-Sticking and L-Jump on. Make sure to be Bowser.
2. Go to a normal stage. (FD is best)
3. Start an infinite jump. Do it like this, SH (Short Hop) L-Jump -> B-Stick Side -> L-Jump. Beautiful Klaw Jump!
4. Now do some in a row. Klaw when you are very close to the ground. SH L-Jump -> B-Stick Side -> L-Jump -> B-Stick Side -> B-Stick Side -> B-Stick Side... It's that easy.
5. Here's the hard part. Start step 4 again, but when you feel ready, hit A as soon as possible after you tap your C-Stick sideways. You should do a nair. Then hit your C-Stick sideways when you're close the ground. You probably won't get this the first time (if you do, have a steak. It's made of Mario), keep practicing it until you have it down.
6. Now make it continuous. SH L-Jump -> B-Stick Side -> L-Jump -> B-Stick Side -> Nair -> B-Stick Side -> Nair -> B-Stick Side -> Nair -> B-Stick Side -> Nair... Once you have this down, proceed to the next step.
7. Now you have to do the same thing in step 6 with fair. You'll be moving forward while sweeping your claw, quite powerful. Just keep at it. Once you have this down, the rest is pretty easy.
8. Let's do it again with bair. This should be easy. Just start going forward with fair, then start to move backward and do the same thing. Bairs!
9. Now for uair. Just the same as the others but with uair instead.
10. Yay! You're done! Now for your extended learning pleasure...

Extended Mastery
  • Mix 'em up. Try bair -> nair -> fair. How about fair -> fair -> uair? Sky's the limit.
  • Start with bair and go backwards immediately. It's faster than a RAR for sure.
  • Move around with uair and nair.
  • Try doing a Klaw in your Infinite Klaw Jump!

The Klaw Jump

Not to be confused with the Infinite Klaw Jump. Short and easy, simply...

L-Jump then IMMEDIATELY smash the C-Stick sideways. You perform the Klaw animation while moving up from your jump.

This gives you a faster aerial Klaw. Well, it's not faster per se but when you are at the position where you are grabbing them, you skip the first few frames of the attack because you did them on the way up. You might actually get a boost in jump height from this too, but I'm not sure.

Hover Bomb

A cool technique I found with the Bowser Bomb.

Simply L-Jump and smash down on your C-Stick. Bowser gets carried up by the jump while charging his bomb, then he slams down.

Just try it. It looks pretty cool. You can even short hop it or full jump to a different effect.

This is your SECOND DASH ATTACK! Do it like this. Dash -> SH L-Jump -> C-Stick Down. You get carried forward by the run and by the jump which places you right above your opponent. Use this against Spot-Dodgers, it's super effective! Bomb does a ton of damage and can kill pretty early.

Fortress Tech

Fortressing is so much better with B-Sticking. Easier to do an OOS Fortress is a major plus.
Also...

Start running and then hit your C-Stick up. You just ran into a fortress.

This is your THIRD DASH ATTACK! Just fortress when you get close to your enemy. It eats through lots of shield and is simply your best dash attack option. This can be done without B-Sticking, but you slow down for about 1-2 frames and you don't get the speed back. It's also easier with B-Sticking. B-Sticking makes it easier to move about during a fortress.

There you go Bowsers! Try these tips and you can be B-Sticking in no time! If I find anything else I'll put it on here.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I'm not giving up tilts on my c-stick. Ever.

I find 'Hover bomb' pretty effortless to do without specials on my c-stick. Honestly I find fortress out of shield and klaw hopping pretty effortless to do without this as well.

I can't see giving up tilts just because of how nice it is for quick up tilts and down tilts, those being primary KO moves.

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
I'm not giving up tilts on my c-stick. Ever.

I find 'Hover bomb' pretty effortless to do without specials on my c-stick. Honestly I find fortress out of shield and klaw hopping pretty effortless to do without this as well.

I can't see giving up tilts just because of how nice it is for quick up tilts and down tilts, those being primary KO moves.
B-Sticking makes these even easier and faster, esp. Klaw Hopping. This guide isn't to convert people to B-Sticking though. Really for people interested in B-Sticking.

On a side note, I never got into tilts onto my second control stick. Mebbe that's 'cause I play Pika where it would be less useful than smash-sticking.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm sorry to say, but all of these "techs" you know about can be done without the use of B-Sticking, and were known about for ages now. B sticking with Bowser is useless. Really.

Thanks for the effort though, we do appreciate it.

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry to say, but all of these "techs" you know about can be done without the use of B-Sticking, and were known about for ages now. B sticking with Bowser is useless. Really.

Thanks for the effort though, we do appreciate it.
Not to be snide, but what's your point? You can smash without C-Sticking. You can use tilts without setting the C-Stick to attack and C-Sticking. And you can Klaw Hop without B-Sticking. It's just harder to pull off some tilts without an attack stick. It's also harder to Klaw Hop and attack without a B-Stick. But it's still an option. So if B-Sticking is useless, so is Tilt-Sticking and Smash-Sticking. We might as well all use the Wiimote sideways!

B-Sticking is an option for Bowser. I wrote this guide, so people who are interested in B-Sticking have something to work with. If you don't like B-Sticking that's fine. Don't use it. If you are interested, by all means use it.

BTW, I wrote how to use the old techs B-sticking. I honestly never read about the techs, but I'm new here and that's not the point.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Not to be snide, but what's your point? You can smash without C-Sticking. You can use tilts without setting the C-Stick to attack and C-Sticking. And you can Klaw Hop without B-Sticking. It's just harder to pull off some tilts without an attack stick. It's also harder to Klaw Hop and attack without a B-Stick. But it's still an option. So if B-Sticking is useless, so is Tilt-Sticking and Smash-Sticking. We might as well all use the Wiimote sideways!

B-Sticking is an option for Bowser. I wrote this guide, so people who are interested in B-Sticking have something to work with. If you don't like B-Sticking that's fine. Don't use it. If you are interested, by all means use it.

BTW, I wrote how to use the old techs B-sticking. I honestly never read about the techs, but I'm new here and that's not the point.
Ok, well forgive me. I was going off on the wrong foot anyway. But basically, Klaw Hopping can be done normally, and take that from me. B-Sticking isn't necessary. I also have to disagree with where you say it's harder to Klaw hop and attack without a B-Stick. Maybe it's your style, but other Bowser mains and myself have mastered Klaw Hopping to the point where we can do all 5 aerials and Klaw Hop airdodge continually (with the exception of DAir, because DAir gives Klaw hopping the finger). Maybe it is your style, but trust me when I say Bowser gets nothing huge out of B-Sticking.

How is Smash Sticking and Tilt Sticking useless if B-Sticking is? Bowser gets no boost out of either of these "sticking" options. Like you said, it's an option, and I'm not here to criticize you, but like I said before, everything, and I mean everything you had up there can be done under normal settings. And, I'm sorry, you're new. I really came off rude, forgive me.

B!squick

Smash Master
*glances*

Wait, it automatically jumps if I B-Stick an aerial Klaw? What if I want to land? Say, Klaw Cancel into an attack and not a jump? Nice little guide. I have my own control scheme for the Classic anyway.

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
*glances*

Wait, it automatically jumps if I B-Stick an aerial Klaw? What if I want to land? Say, Klaw Cancel into an attack and not a jump? Nice little guide. I have my own control scheme for the Classic anyway.
Maybe press down? Or do just Klaw without the C-Stick? It only jumps for you after the first klaw hop. (Which is preposterous, I know, but it works. ;))

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
In all honestly I find all this easy enough to perform without B-sticking so it's really not worth reconfiguring my control scheme. Though the fact that B-stick jumps for you is a nice find.

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
Apparently I was wrong. You never have to jump when you use B-Sticking! As long as you're close enough to the ground, B-Sticked Klaw always jumps for you!

I'm going to play around with this a bit more. It's a really weird exploit.

Top Bottom