• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-sticking+Rollout viable?

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
So I was playing on final destination vs. a pit player online and I got him down all the way to almost the bottom of the stage. I had to jump back up though because I had 1 stock and he had 2 and I definitely would not like a suicide KO. I jump back up using my last two jumps, I miss the edge(doh) and end up standing on the side while he uses pits up-b(his head is just barely visible) I dash towards the edge ad use my B-stick to do a reverse jump. (here is a diagram below)

___________________ .
______________/_____*
I tap b for some odd reason, direct it away from the edge for some odd reason, and all the while continue tapping b. This makes me move towards the edge, hit it then hit him with a charged up rollout going extremely fast downwards. I use the rest of my jumps to stall for his invincibility after he got K0'd. Today I worked on it and have found it is extremely helpful as not only can you use it fully charged and KO someone from above, you can use it not charged at all in order to approach someone from below. And since b-sticking allows you to reverse jump within the first couple frames of your dash, I now use it as a mindgame for edge-guarding. It works on every edge that you can grab. Is this viable? I sure hope so or else half of my edge-guarding strategy isn't viable!! (And just to mention, even though this is my first post I have been going to smashboards for quite a while and have played Jiggly since her release and have also played mario since the beginning of melee. In 64 I played p'k'chu)
EDIT: Am I really this much of a newb to warrant being given the "silent treatment"?

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
OK run>beginning of auto-rar(-ar)>uncharged rollout while pressing away from the stage>tap b once to charge the rollout>hit the edge of the stage>quickly be able to attack from below
-or-
run>beginning of auto-rar(-ar)>uncharged rollout while pressing away from the stage>tap b multiple times to charge the rollout>hit the edge of the stage>keep on going and hit the opponent(situational)
yeah, I just looked over my last post and I probably am the only one that understands it!
BTW I can't post videos cuz... I'm too n00b.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Maybe it's just me, but I still don't quite get it. Did you jump off the edge and rollout towards the edge or something and follow it up with an attack? Phrase it a bit more clearly and maybe I'll understand what you're getting at.

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
He RARs off the stage into the air, charges his rollout, goes back onto the stage using the rollout, then directs himself back off the stage to hit the opponent, who is below the stage. I think.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
what fireb0rn said was right up until the hit the opponent part. what you do is you direct it so that you hit the part of the ledge that you would normally grab and instead of grabbing it you will make a dust cloud and go extremely fast downward. it has the side effect of hitting an opponent whether the opponent be on the ledge or below the stage. You also have super armor frames when you hit the stage. (as far as I've tested)
The part about pushing towards the stage was a major typo, what I meant was away from the stage as if you do a short RAR(-AR) away from the stage and you are doing it correctly if you don't angle yourself away, you will land on the stage(mind games anyone?).
The uses that I can see so far for this technique are as follows: hitting an opponent off the ledge and following it up, hitting someone beneath the ledge(situational), or my personal favorite attacking from below a character such as DK( just not so below that he spikes you!). This technique is lightning quick after you practice it is just second nature and it is another trick in Jiggly's arsenal. If this trick is horrible then please tell me as I'm investing quite a lot of time training with it.
BTW it has to be past one full rotation or else Jiggly will grab the ledge, that is one of the reasons that I suggest you hold the control stick away from the edge.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
I'll post one this weekend for now I have to work!
EDIT: after some testing I found 2 ways to do this:
1)(easiest possible)go to FD on training mode set speed to 2/3 and do a full RAR(-AR) jump off the ledge then tap B
2)(hardest possible) same except tap RAR(-AR) jump and you have to tap just the right inputs in order to pull it off (having a hecka hard time with this!)
findings:
no armor frames however if you are hit (even spiked) you will grab the ledge. Does not hit anyone on the ledge. If you miss the edge say goodbye to a stock.
Sorry I can't post a video b'cause my friend has my camcorder (loaned it to him before this thread started and he needs to make a vid of his AT), but I hope that these findings help. My personal name for this technique is the ledge-bouncing-rollout-cancel (LBRC for short)

J4pu

Smash Champion
sorry for being a newb
RAR= reverse arial rollout? (just a random guess considering it involved a jump and rollout)
can't wait for the video, the tech sounds interesting

chaos 9

Smash Cadet
um so you rollout towards the edge and you shoot strait down at the opp? i dont get this...

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
@J4pu RAR=Reverse-Aerial-Rush (-AR)=W/O the Aerial-Rush, to perform this technique you can either do the long hard way which doesn't work within the first 7(?) frames of your dash or you can do the easy way and set your c-stick to your special move(b-sticking) this doesn't let you do dash attack to upsmash, but it does let you RAR before the 7th(?) frame of your running animation.
@chaos 9 you first RAR(-AR) off the ledge then you rollout, of course you have to
a)time it so that Jiggly hits the edge in the right frame so that you don't automatically grab the edge
b)not begin the rollout at a time when you are on the latter half of your RAR(-AR) or else you will plummet the opposite direction and lose a stock(only on short RAR(-AR)
c)do the RAR(-AR) at the right distance from the ledge
If you followed what I said on my last post then you should be able to do this, and if you look at section b on this post you should be able to do it with a short hopped RAR(-AR)
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
lets go over what you do step by step
1)
Start a short distance away from the edge
2)
Run towards the edge
3)
RAR(-AR)
4)
When you are just before the peak of your jump you should be a little further than the edge that you wish to LBRC off of
5)
when you reach the position in #4 you rollout (be sure not to hold backwards near the beginning of the rollout)
6)
PRESTO!!! you hit the ledge and make a sort of weird bounce looking effect and next thing you know your rollout has been cancelled out by the ledge, you are sitting moderately far below the ledge and you have all of your jumps left -1.
BTW this is extremely easy to perform with 2 jumps but that would take away 1 vital jump!

Top Bottom