• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B Reversal Discovery?

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
*Will Lock if Old*

From what I understand, the B Reversal AT is doing a B (or special) move and quickly slamming the control stick in the opposite direction. The end result is your character turning around and performing the move, as well as a complete reversal of the character's momentum. As far as I know, nobody has looked further into it than that.

Anyways, I was using the practice room to try and discover why Donkey Kong sometimes turned around in mid air if I jumped backwards and started charging a Giant's Punch with no momentum change. I didn't understand why he would do that when I can't seem to B Reversal the charge and I wasn't even trying to when it happens, not to mention the fact that there was no change in momentum. After a while of testing, I finally figured out why.

You do not need to slam the control stick in the opposite direction to perform a B Reversal! Try this: Start charging a Giant's Punch and then hold the control stick slightly in the direction opposite you were facing, as if you wanted to move your shield to prevent a shield poke without rolling. Then, press B again. Donkey Kong reverses himself automatically! Do it in the air too, and then try it with a fully charged Giant's Punch. The effect is the same for both. You turn around in mid air without changing momentum!

You can do this with every special attack. There is a spot for the control stick to reverse each move while grounded (reversing some moves in the air is useless, like the Spinning Kong). That spot is in between these three areas:

1. The center (or resting) position of the control stick
2. The farthest the control stick can be from the center and still perform the move (aka the rim of where the control stick can go)
3. The left or right rim of the control stick, depending on which is the opposite direction that DK is facing.

This works for other (all?) characters, not just DK. I was testing it with Falco's laser a little bit earlier. If this is old, I will feel pretty silly, but I never heard anyone talk about this before. Also, if it is old, I will ask a mod to lock the thread.

EDIT: This is most likely only useful for reversing Neutral B moves, and even then its uses are limited.

lain

Smash Master
It sounds like you're merely pressing the control stick lighter from what you're saying. you can actually b reversal the normal way and still do a reverse special without change in momentum.

:colorful:

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
This is really most likely only useful for changing the direction of Neutral B moves in mid air without changing momentum. It's weird though because I thought you had to first do the move and then slam in the opposite direction, but you just hold slightly backwards and you can reverse it like that.

Also, was this already discovered? Because if it was then there is no point for this thread.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Yes this is old. This only works in the air this way, been known since melee. I forget what its called but what you do is jump, move the control stick in the opposite direction, return to neutral and then press B.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
This has been well known since the early Melee days. Ever seen a Falco sh lasering in Melee? They use this constantly to apply pressure while retreating.

Top Bottom