• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B Moves - some uses

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
Just thought there should be a topic about B moves and their usefulness. I used to think
D3's B moves sucked, but now I think they're all good at times. Here’s some situations you can use B moves in.

Neutral B - Swallowside the only thing? Nope. Neutral B = free damage. Jump towards your opponent. They'll probably shield, thinking your going to do an aerial. Hold Neutral B. It doesn't go through shields, but when they let go to do anything, you swallow, spit out, and do about 9-18% (Depending on who you're facing). If you’re near the stage, swallow, turn around, then spit. It puts them in a worse position off the stage. Best follow ups: fair or 1-2 jumps into over B.

Down B - Cool thing you can do is when your opponent is coming from above off the stage. He's gonna air dodge, right? Bust out the Jet Hammer, charge a split second and wait for the air dodge to end, and hit. Fair might be sub, but I guessing you'll use that more, and down B will be fresh.
It's also good at punishing when you know f-smash is too slow. When someone up Bs (like Marth), instead of a f-smash that they can easily avoid with di, just down B and follow them. When they're near the ground, hit 'em.
Another situation is when you're approaching them while they're at the edge of the stage. If they shield, jump at them and hold Jet Hammer. Most people will just react to it afraid, and roll past you. Turn around, let go, mindgames.

Over B - Spamming is easy. I find the best time to use it is when you’re trying to recover. Jump and over b right afterwards, otherwise you’ll fall like a rock. You'll eventually just know how high you have to be for them to reach.
Using it to edge guard might be good or bad. Since Waddledee/doo/Gordo sends them up on contact, it's easier for them to recover. If they’re at low percent, I'll usually try to get the free damage.
Not really a tip, but D3's over Bs are not projectiles. Reflectors/Franklin badges don't reflect over Bs. Shines can stop them when they’re doing their hit animations, but say Fox/Wolf holds their shine, and you over B, it still hits them. They can’t be sent back at D3.

Up B – Nothing much too say. Helps recover. Has super armor in his up animations only.

Hope you enjoyed my tips. Pitch in if you have something to add. ^_^

shadowspike

Smash Rookie
gordos can be reflected by super armor and mario's side b

D3's up-b if timed correctly can meteor spike very well and is perfect for edgehogging opponents(if you time it right you can still cancel and grab the ledge while spiking them) if there invincibility frames are finished or if they are in water, also spiking them has sometimes cancelled my falling animation with zero lag(from reviewing my replay i realized that and attact with equal priority hit me and cancelled the animation)

turn around down-b(or regular depnding upon which way your facing) is decent for ledge spiking but bair and fair is definitly better (ending lag may SD you)

X6488

Smash Journeyman
The neutral-B has higher priority over Wario's bike. I guess if you wanna play safe, you can just spit it.

Dark_Lite

Smash Apprentice
Swallow is a hilariously effective defensive move since it over-prioritizes many moves in the game. Of course you can't get too predictable with it....

Up+B can be used as a spike/meteor smash but it isn't really practical. It is funny when someone gets knocked into it and gets spiked to their death though.

Top Bottom